The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Telonics Type 84pw.....pick Up....
David Hartley

Post  Posted 25 Nov 2011 11:13 am    

I received my pick-up about 1 hour ago.
Will be fitting it to the Rains very soon.
Keep you updated.

Info here.....

http://www.tpa-az.com/downloads/Pickups_Installation%20And%20Usage110411.pdf

Roger Francis

kokomo,Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2011 8:06 am    

Hope you have a video soon on youtube using the PU, im anxious to hear it!

David Hartley

Post  Posted 26 Nov 2011 2:42 pm     Hi Roger. I am impressed.....

Yes, I fitted the Telonics pickup today. It took about a total of 3 hours to do. That includes removing all strings, cleaning guitar, fitting pickup and balancing volumes on the strings.
I was surprised how easy it was to balance all the strings to be the same volume and then make the adjustments to just take the edge of one or two strings that are a bit cutty.
I thought measuring instruments would be required but the pickup is so clear with definition between the strings, it's really a matter of using your ears. Having saying that though, I did have the steel plugged into Logic Pro and balanced the pickup with the visual aid of a VU meter on the iMac within the recording suite. I soon discovered that it wasn't really necessary to do this, as your ears can tell you if a string is too loud while playing a few chops and licks while playing an instrumental.
I recorded steel to one of Frans songs using the George L on the Rains, then, the same song again using the Telonics. I was very impressed. It was just at that time when one of my students came over for a lesson. The first thing I wanted him to hear is the sound of both recordings and to tell me what he liked. I didn't tell him which pickup was used on each track he listened to. Before the end of the song came, he instantly said, track 2, and that of course was the Telonics. It's slightly less cutty, and a bit more mellow than George L. The clarity of each and every note within each and every lick with the Telonics pickup is quite stunning. After this quick demo to my student, I had to continue to the rehearsal room for the lesson, and played the shobud all night as the Rains is in the office upstairs but I wished I had the time to bring downstairs
I had the camcorder on the steel while I was recording and will therefore show you all the comparison soon, and you can hear for yourselves.

David Hartley

Post  Posted 29 Nov 2011 8:59 am     Telonics Pw84 Pick-up Demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WDBWVe3YHk

This shows how good it records, direct from steel to PC, only reverb added at the DAW.

This PUP aint going anywhere ! Its CERTAINLY staying on this Rains.

Listen carefully to the note separation whan I hit 2 or 3 strings, amazing..

David Hartley

Post  Posted 29 Nov 2011 9:11 am     Hi

Someone is bound to ask.....What's a DAW....
It's DIGITAL AUDIO WORKSTATION.... my recording suite on the iMac..

Roger Francis

kokomo,Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2011 9:37 am    

Sounds GREAT Dave, Especially the definition in the hi notes. I notice when playing the video the steels volume is a little to far back in the mix and your solo did'nt reach out and touch you like the singer did, your playing is fantastic just want to hear more volume on the steel, Thanks for the video, Roger

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2011 10:10 am    

The pickup sounds good, but it's hard to concentrate on that because the playing is so very, very nice! Very Happy

(Re Roger's comment: If it were me, I'd have put some reverb on the vocal and not had it so in your face.)

Brian McGaughey

Orcas Island, WA USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2011 10:36 am    

I think the lower volume level of the steel against the vocal demonstrates the clarity of the pickup. You can hear every note.

Nice backup and solo.

Larry Hamilton

Keller, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2011 10:55 am    

The pickup sounds nothing less than astounding. The thing about Dave though is, it doesn't matter what gear he is using he has the best tone Smile But I could diffenitly hear the cleanliness and seperation even with my ears, so it really has to be great. Dang, something else for my want list. A really great combination, Dave Beatey and Dave Hartley. Very Happy

David Hartley

Post  Posted 29 Nov 2011 11:04 am     Hi all

I read your replies while driving, not a clever thing to do, but I had to reply myself to your comments as soon as I got home.

This mix WAS intentional. The sweet memories CD has it mixed for easy listening.
This is a pickup demo. I purposely turned UP the vocal, removed a bit of reverb on the vocal and turned up both acoustic guitars and left the steel low in the mix. You can hear EXACTLY how clear each and every note is, and how you don't have to have the steel LOUD to be heard. This can be hard to get right, and in the past, I have used compression to accomplish this. The steel is direct to recorder through Telonics pedal.

I was also going to demonstrate it against my previous fitted pickup but thought that was unfair to do, as I still love the sound from it and has always been my choice.

Having saying that, when this 84 is tweeked up and levelled and balanced, which is easy to do, it sure does bring out definition on any note, twin note, or chord I play. I also purposely played as far down, and as far up the neck of the steel with different chops to do my best, in this, my little demo for The Telonics type 84.

If you check the Telonics website, you will see that the PW isn't there as yet but I am sure it is available from now. You will have to contact Dave Beaty to confirm. Also this model comes with an Aluminium base, like what Mark Dunn has on his Zum.. A tad brighter I would say. I think I have the right choice on my Rains.

Anyway, I always appreciate your comments, many thanks.

You will, no doubt hear more steel in future steel guitar instrumentals I upload.
And, as I said earlier, this pup is staying put on my steel.

In fact, I am hoping to get one for the shobud pro 1 soon...

I have a great idea for an instrumental coming soon. It may take a while to to learn and produce, but I do know, it has NEVER been done on steel before, and I think everyone knows it.

A clue.... It's by a British pop group... Smile

Mark Dunn

Suffolk, England
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2011 2:16 pm    

Really nicely played David. This pickup is so sweet!

The 84 alloy plate version sounds great on my Zum, both necks. I'm about to try the 84 plastic plate version on the Zum E9 neck and 34 on the C6 neck.

Mark

Ron Scott

Michigan
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2011 4:30 pm    

Always sound great. I would like to hear a solo on steel played at your regular volume .RS

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2011 3:01 pm    

Mark thats the setup I am using, the 34 on the C6th neck is outstanding, really gives some clarity and punch to those bottom 3 strings.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2011 5:35 am    

The type 84 sure looks like a Tonealigner design made in Austin Texas by Bob Hoffnar or is it just me?

David Hartley

Post  Posted 1 Dec 2011 7:44 am     Hi Ken

Yes, they look very similar with 2 adjustable poles for each string.

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2011 7:54 am    

David, your left and right hand technique and positioning is superb. All beginner and intermediate players should look at that video for right and left hand reference. Your touch and phrasing is also outstanding. Extending that thumb out on the right hand is very important. Something I learned years ago from watching Randy Beavers.

Kip Duff

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2014 10:08 am     Reason for using metal v plastic base?

Whats the difference between metal and plastic bases? Thinking of getting an 84 for my Sho bud Pro I while I figure out what to do with original pickup- has open circuit on top portion of split coil. 12k coil works pretty well though. Thanks............

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2014 10:30 am    

(EDIT: OOOPS didnt realize this thread had been bumped up from 2010/11....still a great thread to have active)

The mix popped out really nice on my 6x10 cm cell phone...

Round and warm in the bottom, maybe a tad light in lower mids, just the right amount of cut to lay softly on the ears, and a smooth top.

Pickup/guitar combination sounds great across the board, but excels in the fret 10 to 17 range, which can be a bit quirky.

This is what I hear, FWIW.

I love it, it's the sound of professional perfection, as is the playing.

Doug Jones

Oregon & Florida
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2014 3:06 pm    

The counterpoint lick at 1:37 to close on the 5 was brilliant. Prepare for blatant thievery ! And yes, the pickup sounds good and balanced, too.