The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic

What raises do you have on the top 2 strings of your E9th?
None
4%
 4%  [ 6 ]
F# to G only
16%
 16%  [ 21 ]
F# to G# only
16%
 16%  [ 21 ]
F# to G# and D# to E together
53%
 53%  [ 66 ]
F# to G# and D# to E separated
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
D# to E only
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Something totally different
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 124

Author Topic:  E9 Top String Raises
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2011 8:56 am    

In the 70s and 80s, raising the 1st string to F# to G was considered a standard change. In the 90s, a lot of people pushed it up to G#, and some added a 2nd string raise D# to E on the same lever. A few people put D# to E on a separate lever or pedal.

I'm old school about this. I figure that if I want the G# unison, I can raise F# to G and do a bar slant to match it to the 3rd string. I can also get the equivalent of the two raises (F# to G# and D# to E) by just raising F# to G and moving the bar up a fret. These are things I hear Lloyd Green do all the time.

Jeff Newman was even more old school - he pulled the first string with his finger behind the bar. Very showy (that's Jeff!), and very effective.

What are your thoughts on this?

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2011 9:18 am    

I voted "none," but that's not strictly accurate. I don't have any raise on the 1st string. On the 2nd string, I tune it to D and have a raise to D#, but since tuning it to D is apparently extremely rare, my raise probably doesn't count as a "2nd string raise" for the purposes of this poll.

Raising the 1st to G is one of the changes I sometimes wish I had, but being pretty fully loaded with four pedals and seven knee levers already, I've got no place to put it. I've tried pulling it with my finger, and found it uncomfortable and dicey--getting the pitch accurate and holding it there with that string feeling like it's cutting into my finger--and my grab tends to depress the string toward the fretboard so it loses contact with the bar. Needless to say, that hasn't become part of my repertoire of moves!

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2011 9:28 am    

I agree that you made the correct choice, Brint. Your raise is the equivalent of the 2nd string lower, just backwards. I had the same thing for many years, until an "aha moment" convinced me of the error of my ways. Winking

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2011 9:51 am    

I woulda liked a "new school and old school" option. RKL raises to G while lowering 6 to F#. P0 raises 1 +1, 2 +½.
A finger pull of a whole tone will also, on the 3 guitars I've tried, bring 2 up to just about E.

Fred Glave

McHenry, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2011 9:57 am    

On my Fender 2000 I have F# to G# and D# to E on one lever without a half stop. But since I got the Stage One I just have F# to G and I'm finding that I really had been missing out on a lot of great stuff. Now I also lower string 2 just to D, where as I used to go to C# with one move. I'm also finding that I really like that for the same reasons. I don't like half stops because I can't dial in half way very well when I get going. So I voted for the half step raise only on string one. I might add that although getting the unison is one way of using the whole step raise on string one, I really liked going up a whole just for the sound of bending the note to get there.

Last edited by Fred Glave on 11 Nov 2011 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2011 9:58 am    

Lane Gray wrote:
I woulda liked a "new school and old school" option. RKL raises to G while lowering 6 to F#. P0 raises 1 +1, 2 +½.

Lane, that is rare enough to fall into the "Something completely different" slot, IMHO. Some people feel the G note at the point where the D# to E kicks in. The number of people who have both "old school" and "new school" levers/pedals is probably pretty rare.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2011 9:58 am    

Well, I had to vote for something different. I raise 1 to G# and 2 to E one one lever AND 1 to G on another. No choice for that.

The raise to G and slant to G#? I'd love to see that work in a real fast song (hitting that typical unison lick we all hear these days). I know YOU might not use the raise that way, but many (too many??) of us do and I don't think it would work well. That would be cool to see though. The same with Lane's pulling the first string to G# with his finger, especially around the first or second frets. I have done, and still do occasionally, pull 1 to a G with my finger to show off, but can't do it on the low frets very well.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2011 10:02 am    

I don't play real fast anyway, Richard. Laughing

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2011 10:02 am    

A few year ago I started raising the first 2 strings cuz I wanted to see what all the hubbub was about. I originally put it on the same KL that lowers the 6 string a whole step, but I found that I liked the 2 raises better without lowering the 6th (another thread I know...) so I eventually put a raise on the 7th string instead. It's really a nice sound to pull those first two strings up while keeping the middle G# static! I still consider that KL as being more of a "lick lever" than a "chord lever"though. It's a pretty sound, and I'm not surprised that it's as popular as it is!

I've also raised the first string a half step by pulling behind the bar for years...a very funky-cool honky tonk trick! Cool

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2011 10:16 am    

I checked F# to G# only altho I do raise string 9 D to D# on that lever, proving a feel stop for the 1st string at G natural.

Rick Schmidt wrote:
so I eventually put a raise on the 7th string instead.
...like Paul Franklin & others.

Rick Schmidt wrote:
It's really a nice sound to pull those first two strings up while keeping the middle G# static!
Same notes, but not quite as twangy, can be played at fret 7, pedaling up strings 5 & 6, while sustaining the low G# on string 9 lowered with KL.

Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2011 10:25 am    

I pull it behind the bar. It's quicker than using a knee lever, and that come in handy when I'm in the midst of a flurry of notes on the top 4 or 5 strings and get lost or hung up and I can pull the 1st string and let it ring for a half a bar or so and have time to collect myself. It's also easier and more accurate to slur in and out of the G with a finger than a knee. I do the same thing on the 1st (D) string on C6th.
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 11 Nov 2011 10:34 am    

Actually, the raises on the first 2 strings can also bring the B chord (open on 1,2 and 5) back to an E (I know you can get it elsewhere too). Not entirely a lick lever (although some might say the following example is just a lick, it does in fact end on a chord using that lever). On the Kevin Sharp song, "Nobody Knows", the lick at the end of the song goes something like this (the way I play it - might not be how it was played by the player in the studio). Key of F#. Let's call the lever "R".

Tab:

1_________________________|_____________________|
2_________________________|_____________________|
3_________________________|_____________________|
4_________________2_______|_____________________|
5_________2--2A_______2A__|_2___2A__2A___2__2A__|
6__2__2B__________________|_____________________|

1__________2____2---2R
2__2____________2---2R
3_____________________
4_____2_______________
5_____________________
6_____________________
  (let notes ring through until the final part)

Granted you can drop down 2 frets and use strings 3 & 4 for the lick with the F lever on string 4, but sliding up from the open strings to the second fret sounds lame and you can't get the lead up notes to sustain through the whole lick.

Not saying there aren't other ways to play this, but this is what I remember.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2011 12:05 pm    

I have the F# to G# and the D# to E changes on the same knee (along with lowering the 6th string G# to F#). It is on my RKL.

I originally only raised the 1st string F# to G (and lowered the 6th string) but changed it to raise the 1st string a whole tone and added the 2nd string raise around 1999/2000. These are the only changes I've made to my Franklin from when I ordered it new in late 81.

The 1st and 2nd string change, along with the 6th string lower change on the same knee lever is "stock" on my wife's GFI S-10 (and GFI's standard setup (3 pedal 4 knee) is identical to my Franklin except I have a 5th Knee lever). I remember it was the same on the standard Carter setup.

Doug Palmer

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2011 12:21 pm     F# to G

I raise string one F# to G# on one knee and raise strings 1 and 7 F#'s to G on a different lever. I use that change very much. In open A both pedals down with the knee I get a very useful A7. I can rock between A, A6, A7.

Doug

Chuck Thompson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2011 12:42 pm    

I have the F#-G#....D#-E.

For the half step mooney style dom 7th sounds I drop back two frets and find nearly all of it there

Robbie Daniels

Casper, Wyoming, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2011 12:50 pm    

I raise 1 to G#, 2 to E and 7 to G# on LKV

John Drury

Gallatin, Tn USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2011 5:37 pm    

F# to G#
NTSGA #3

"Practice cures most tone issues" ~ John Suhr

Brian McGaughey

Orcas Island, WA USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2011 9:21 pm    

In the thread I started about the 6th lower to F#, I was surprised to see how many of you raised both 1 and 2. I had no idea. Verified here in b0bs poll, slightly more than half do.

For those that raise 1 only 1/2, are you using it as the b7th with AB down?

I use my 1 full tone raise as a starting point (instead of string 3) and lower a full tone to F#. Never use the unison aspect really.

Never considered raising string 2 1/2 tone, why can't you just start with 4 pulled down 1/2? I'm suppose there's some moves you can't get with out the 2nd string raise.

Suppose it depends on where you like to hear the slur.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 11 Nov 2011 10:29 pm    

Quote:

Mostly for single note runs, then as the b7th.

Quote:
Never considered raising string 2 1/2 tone, why can't you just start with 4 pulled down 1/2? I'm suppose there's some moves you can't get with out the 2nd string raise.

I often use it at the same time as the 1st string raise. See my tab above.

Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2011 10:48 pm    

F# to G# only. On my S10 and D10 its RKL, which also lowers 6 a whole. I have F# to G# and D# to E together on an Ext 12, but dont play it as much.

Clete

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2011 11:18 pm    

F# to G to G#
Eb to E
F# to G to G#

The Eb remains at pitch till after the G note is accomplished.Then it moves to E

I have a lever for the 6th string whole tone lower and split. The only other change I add with this is the 7th string 1/2 tone lower. Adding either or both of the top strings shuts down to much of real estate for my liking. And yes, lowering the 7th a 1/2 closes some. But I find I've gained more than I gave up.

Your mileage may vary.
bb

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2011 12:11 am    

Brian McGaughey wrote:

Among other things.

Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2011 7:26 am    

Quote:
Brian McGaughey wrote:

Yeah, you can use it to play the solo in "Folsom Prison", for instance.
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2011 7:56 am    

I let the guitar player have the melody. I play the harmony right below it (I do the same on Workingman Blues)

Fred Glave

McHenry, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2011 9:29 am    

Brian McGaughey wrote:

In addition to all of that, the string one raise 1/2 step makes a sweet augmented triad on the top 3 strings when raising string 3 and 1. In key of C open position 8th fret, press pedal B and then raise string one 1/2 step. Hitting 5th string too for the G note. Raising the 3rd string gives it a dominant 7th sound I believe. Nice way to sub the 5 chord at the end of a blues progression. You also play around dropping and raising A pedal. in that move. I works really nice in C minor pentatonic scale blues and end on that augmented triad. You can slide down 3 frets releasing the 1st string raise and back using that same move and get some nice back and forth augmented voicings.

Last edited by Fred Glave on 12 Nov 2011 7:18 pm; edited 4 times in total