The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pics of Fender cable guitar modular lever system..
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2012 3:56 pm    

He has a lot of guys waiting Mark, and is aware of it.. last I heard he was going to get started buildiing inventory...bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Mark Fasbender

Post  Posted 10 Feb 2012 3:23 am    

Last edited by Mark Fasbender on 13 Aug 2012 2:08 am; edited 1 time in total

Bruce Hilton

Berwick, Maine, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2012 9:23 am    

Bob, any word on manufacturing progress?

Thanks!

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2012 1:13 am    

Sorry Bruce I don't get on the forum all that much these days, and didn't see this...
Contact Michael Yahl.. He is the genious that designed this wonderful system. I am not sure where he is at as far as production, but I do know for certain he planned on marketing this system. He got extremely busy making parts, and I think the Fender stuff had to take a back seat for a while.. he may be running this stuff off by now, not sure. Contact him, he's a nice guy ... bob

Michael Yahl

Troy, Texas!
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2012 6:47 am    

OK guys, here's the skinney.

Yes, I am the one who designed the knee lever system for the Fender cable guitars. I built the prototype for Bob Carlucci and when I delivered it I asked that he not reveal who built it. He had told me that it probably would be a big hit and that a lot of you would want one. At that time I had a lot of different projects on the bench and was behind 3 months from the development of that system. Fielding calls and inquiries takes time. I enjoy talking to everyone and usually learn something from all of you but I'm a talker and it takes time away from what I'm doing. I also wasn't quite ready to procede with production of that system at that time.

I've been bustin' it for the past month getting parts made for 12 complete units plus spares. So far a quick count says that I've made over 1300 individual pieces and still have about 500 to go just for the Fender stuff. I'm getting to a point now that I'm going to have to be building a lot of specific tooling just to finish up and gear up for larger production on some of the parts.

This is a lot of machining! I've found that as soon as I release one part for any specific application, I get inquiries for 3 other associated parts so I try to cover as much ground as possible before releasing anything new.

I also have to maintain the other inventory of parts that I already have and those get interjected into anything else that I have going. I run 25 to 100 pieces of whatever the part demand is so that can take days. I'm currently out of all my wrenches (Thanks to you all!) so I need to run those this week.

Of these first 12 Fender assemblies, I will be splitting them up across the country to get the widest amount of exposure. This is purely marketing so I hope that no one feels that I'm being preferencial in how they are distributed.

I really appreciate all the response and comments on this product and have seen interest for over 30 units so far.

I'm currently trying to acquire some CNC equipment in order to keep up with the part demands that I currently have.

You guys have been great and I deeply appreciate all of your business and your tolerance for the delays.

Thanks

Michael

PSG PARTS
http://www.psgparts.com/

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 24 Jul 2012 7:03 am    

Thanks Michael and all the best on the project! Will the system work on a Fender 400 as well?

Russ

Michael Yahl

Troy, Texas!
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2012 7:24 am    

This should fit all of the Fender 400/800/1000/2000's.

The caveat is that I'm making the assumption that once Fender began the frame casting process, that they didn't make any changes dimensionally across the rear apron area. If we run into fit issues, we'll get those resolved.

The other issue is the differing heights of the main pully stacks due to the various numbers of pedals installed. I don't know for sure at this time but on a 2000 with a full load, it may be necessary to forgo some of the pedals for the knee levers. This may also be true in other instances as well.

There is still some data that I need to acquire and I will post later with a form that can be filled out for cable lengths and other info. There are some variables but with accurate intel we'll figure it all out.

Stay tuned!

PSG PARTS

Ian Stynes

New York, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2012 12:41 pm    

I'm really forward to this knee lever system Michael - it looks amazing. Good luck getting it ready!

-Ian

Abe Levy

California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2012 2:27 pm    

Any idea what the cost will be for a 4 lever set up?

Very much interested in getting this system on my 400.

Michael Yahl

Troy, Texas!
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2012 2:34 pm    

Won't have any pricing until all components are completed and assembled.

PSG PARTS

Fred Layman

Springfield, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2012 8:26 pm     Fender knee lever upgrades

I'm presently in the process of upgrading an 800 and a 2000. The first time I ever saw one of these new was in a music store in Wichita KS about 1960.
I think a case can be made that these Fenders were the first of a new innovative model for steel guitars. Both Sho-Bud and ZB made use of the hex screws on or in the end plates to tune the pedals.
But I will also have four or more knee levers on each guitar. The common complaint against the Fenders was that all the notches in the changer were taken up with cables for the floor pedals, leaving none for tunable knee levers.
In point of fact, the drawings above show tunable knee levers. What I do is add a cable loop to the notch in the changer lever and attatch it to a knee lever that has a tuning screw stop in the back of the knee lever assembly and the tuning screw tunes the knee lever separate from the other tuning screws in the end plate.

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2013 4:30 pm    

Michael Yahl wrote:

Of these first 12 Fender assemblies, I will be splitting them up across the country to get the widest amount of exposure. This is purely marketing so I hope that no one feels that I'm being preferencial in how they are distributed.

Hi Michael if you want to it the Canadian market I want a knee levers kit for my Fender 1000!

Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2013 6:48 pm    

Hi Michael,
I'm on the Gulf Coast and I'm interested. I have a model 800 that I would love to modify. I was thinking of rodding it but I would go all cable if I could get your lever system.

Thanks

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Jack Bowman

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2013 7:00 pm    

I'm in the state of Washington and will do the kit when you get some for release to this part of the country.
Fender 400 PSG 4+2
buncha amps

Mike DiAlesandro

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2014 4:52 pm    

Update,

I emailed Michael Yahl in regards to these knee levers, and he responded quite promptly. He wrote that these are 70% complete, in storage, and at this time he is yet to have a completion date. He is aware that quite a few of us are interested. They look quite nicely designed and built, let's hope for availability soon!

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2014 4:32 am    

wow.. Forgot about this.. All I can say is this.. The system is brilliant and installs in minutes with a damn screwdriver, and can accomodate from 1 to 4 levers from what I remember.. Its absolutely foolproof, and works beautifully... As far as playability, the knee lever action [pedals too] was soft smooth and very accurate..
Slightly longer throw on the lowers than might be the case on a modern pedal steel, but you can say the same for any 40 year old pedal steel.. My 800 played flawlessly, and Mikes system was the reason.
oh btw,, There is not even 1 screwhole drilled into the guitar. Guitar stays 100% stock!. It was an amazing feat of design, engineering and fabrication.
This is the lever setup Fender should have put on their steels.. they simply didn't have a Mike yahl working for them at the time I guess..
I have sold this guitar only because it was so supremely heavy, and I am getting too old to be lugging it to gigs... I hope its available soon to Fender cable players.. Its a great set up... bob

Christopher Hillman

Manchester, UK
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2015 3:04 pm    

Hi, is there any updates on this system? i've just acquired a Fender 1000 in the UK and was thinking of fitting a couple of Knee levers to it. These look great!! Very Happy

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2015 5:27 pm    

Me too! on my 400, 1000, 800 and 2000..

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2016 9:08 am    

There is still a lot of interest..

Steelies do it without fretting

CLICK THIS to view my tone bars and buy——>

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2016 10:28 am    

I could use some! Sierra D-8 Cable..has 1, needs more! Smile

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2016 11:31 am    

Michael has a website. www.psgparts.com

Dennis Montgomery

Western Washington
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2016 2:48 pm    

Dustin Rigsby wrote:
Michael has a website. www.psgparts.com

Yes, but when I search under Fender parts there's still no mention of the knee lever kit. For those really interested, might be good to contact him directly Winking According to the website his contact info is:

michael@psgparts.com

Hear my album, "Armistice" featuring Fender 400 on every song:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2Pz_GXhvmjne7lPEtsplyW

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2f0JOyiXpZyzNrvnJObliA

David Farrell

San Diego, California, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2023 9:01 pm    

I wish someone would make these & get them available to us Fender steelers!

Fender pedal steels, amps & guitars. '73 Sho~Bud PRO 1 CUSTOM. Emmons ReSound'65 S-10 4x5.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2023 2:24 am    

David Farrell wrote:
I wish someone would make these & get them available to us Fender steelers!

I don't think mike ever got that setup into production, sorry to say.. It was absolutely brilliantly engineered, and worked flawlessy.. probably not enough old fender steels out there to justify... I am SO SO sorry i ever sold that 800 with Mike's marvelous system installed in it....

Abe Levy

California, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2023 8:39 am    

Fender cable guitars are really getting popular again. Many of the young guys love em. This would be a great time to roll this out… I’d buy two!