The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tolex Replacement
Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2011 11:03 am    

Hey folks, I have a Bassman head that I reworked into a nice 1 channel amp. I put a figured maple faceplate on it and a wheat grill-cloth. Who does tolex replacement and how much does it cost? I want it to be smooth brown Fender style.

PM is the best, if you don't want to make quotes in the open.
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2011 11:59 am    

I recently replaced the tolex on my Bandmaster amp myself. I had to make and cover a replacement back panel as well, and that was the most challenging, but it came out good. If you are good with a razor blade its not too hard, but it definitely aint easy! There are 4 pieces, 2 sides, top and bottom. The trick is cutting the side piece corner flaps to line up on a seam. The top and bottom are rectangles and real easy to do. If you have the old tolex, copy the cuts from that as a template. I used rubber cement, but spray adhesive works too. Start with the sides. then do the top and bottom. You can find all sorts of vinyl tolex on ebay pretty cheap. You also need a staplegun with 1/4' or 3/8" staples to secure the tolex to the interior of the cabinet once youre done. I watched this vid first.

Clete
PS I have a cab made by Rick Johnson as well, and he does great work, if you're not up to the task.

Last edited by Clete Ritta on 28 Dec 2011 12:14 pm; edited 3 times in total

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2011 12:04 pm    

Rick,
I got cabs from Rick Johnson. Awesome quality! Great prices!

http://www.rickjohnsoncabs.com/index.html

Tim Marcus

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2011 1:27 pm    

mojotone.com sells all kinds of tolex and grill cloth if you plan on doing it yourself.

I imagine super 77 or super 90 would be a better option than rubber cement
Milkman Sound on Twitter

Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2011 2:44 pm    

Actually I used Weldwood Contact Cement with a brush. Didnt mean rubber cement.

BTW I found doing grill cloth harder than the tolex. Getting the fabric tight and straight is a skill of a good upholsterer (which I am not).
Clete

Last edited by Clete Ritta on 28 Dec 2011 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2011 2:46 pm    

That's what I use for repairs Clete. When I saw "rubber cement" I thought, "Really?"

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2011 4:46 pm    

Just a note if you having a retolex job. If you remove the chassis in the amp cab and it is tight coming out, consider using the same type tolex. If the new tolex is grained or heavey textured, it is thicker than the smooth fender type tolex and you will have a difficult time getting the chassis back in.

It happened to me.... Sad

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2011 5:12 pm    

I use "Tolex" glue. Sold several places including Antique Radio and Mojotone.

Joe Hensley

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2011 10:13 pm    

I just completed my first retolexing project (will post photos later)...I used Wilsonart H2O ($12/qt at Home Depot) it worked great and is theoretically the same as the Mojotone glue. Overall it was a lot easier than expected. As above, the grillcloth was more difficult.

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2011 4:24 am    

Heck, I'm about convinced to do it myself! I'm gonna shop for the tolex this morning...hmm.

Thanks for all the interest in this, and encouragement.

I take it these are cold glues? I think the glue Fender used was hot hide glue.
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2011 5:07 am    

Check out the Tolex at Mojotone http://www.mojotone.com/

and Antique Radio
www.tubesandmore.com

They both have good assortments of Tolex.

Joe Hensley

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2011 6:08 am    

The Wilsonart H20, was a breeze - brush onto the tolex and amp, wait about 30 minutes for it to dry, line it all up and stick it together - the odor wasn't too bad either like solvent based cements.

Here are those pics (70's Jazz Classic previously with some nasty, smelly black tolex):

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2011 8:41 am    

Correct Fender Tolex is available from many NET locations,as is hardware, MOJO being one. It cost about $16/sq yard. We have done several Fender amps here at home as part of full restorations. After fully removing the old Tolex I suggest you check the cabinets and repair the seams /joints before you begin. Fender cabinets on the power transformer end have a tendency to come apart. Then sand it smooth, fill the low spots and clean it real well before the new tolex.

Here is a 71 Dual Showman Reverb which arrived in 4 pieces , the chassis was holding it together ! You can see I added dowel pins on each top edge , glued, to add strength. This was our first project and the amp is like brand new today...maybe better ! This is a kool amp, date stamped Nov 71, my 71 Twin is date stamped Oct 71, it appears they were in the factory at the same time, a REUNION 40 years later ! I didn't replace the grill cloth, I removed it and washed it. The front top right and left angled corners will be confusing at first, make a template from the old Tolex , the top front corners will test your resolve.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2011 3:15 am    

And here is the 67 Showman head we did recently...it had been re-tolexed previously but WRONG, the top front corners were done like a picture frame not with angled cuts as Fender did. I gotta say, this is one great amp, I have said this before, I think the normal channel on this amp is the best sound Fender ever produced...massively awesome !

Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2011 6:15 am    

I have to agree with Tony on the sound of the 67 Showman. Mine has the best sound, even without reverb it sounds fantastic.

One tip on redoing the Tolex: Allways try to remove the old tolex intact so it can be used as a pattern for cutting the new tolex out. I usually lay it flat and stack some flat magazines or something on it for a few days to get it as flat as possible.
Good luck.
Lefty

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2012 3:19 am    

I would agree with Lefty , if you can get the OLD Tolex off in one piece that would be preferred. But you won't know if that's possible until you try. Generally original Tolex will peel off fairly easily,as was the case with the 71 Dual Showman head above. The 67 Showman head, above, was a different deal, it had been re-tolexed and it was a small war to remove it. Whatever glue they used worked real well! Laughing