The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tommy White, My favorite steel player
Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2011 7:44 pm    

Well, I feel somewhat selfconscious to continue thanking my friends and hogging the forum space. However, it would be ungracious of me
not to do so. I really do appreciate everyone of you so much.
Joan Cox, you are truly an extraordinary woman. It is highly unusual for a female to care about this subject , recognize , perform and understand the instrument as you do. I'm a fan. You have my highest respect and regard. Thank you so much for being so kind to me...and yes, Johnny is already in the "Hall of Fame". The folks in St. Louis just don't know it yet , which really doesn't matter to true pedal steel officianados.
Mike Cass, your knowledge of pedal steel guitar and it's history is mind boggling, nevermind you are one of the world's best players of the instrument and truly have not received the recognition you deserve. As Herby Wallace said, it just ain't fair. You have my utmost respect dear friend.
Brett, you're the best!
Again, it can't be said enough, Thank you, thank you ,thank you all!

Last edited by Tommy White on 20 Dec 2011 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total

Murnel Babineaux

Mermentau, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2011 7:05 am    

Tommy.. Words that express your lifelong commitment to making great music on the steel guitar are simply unavailable to me.

No truer admiration exists

Murnel

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2011 7:35 am     Re: Dumplin said it all!

Steve Palousek wrote:
In my opinion, there are not enough people really smart enough musically to know how good he really is.

In reading over this again, Steve's comment caught my eye. How true! It's great to see a lot of people that are smart enough musically chime in to validate Johnny's post.

Zane King

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2011 7:50 am    

I wish I could have been the one who started this thread! Thank you Johnny! Just last week Tommy commented on one my threads and I gotta tell you that was a great thrill for me! It's not that I need affirmation it is just that I need affirmation. Shocked Very Happy Seriously though I absolutely did several double takes and re-readiing of his compliment. I'm thankful for every single comment to all my threads but to have the GREAT TOMMY WHITE to input on something I have put out there....well, there's just no better feeling than that.

I once had the opportunity to use Tommy on a session. Well, turns out that song became a Gospel music classic and is still considered one of Gospel music's biggest hits. Funny, I just recently told Tommy about this and he didn't even know. See that is just proof of how this MASTER's work has effected so much of the music world. And the good news is there is more to come!!!!

Let it be said once and for all - Tommy White is a GIFT FROM GOD to not only the steel guitar community but the music world at large. There is only ONE Tommy White!

Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2011 9:12 am    

Why I endure the GOO's sometimes tedious lineup on XM-56... So's I can hear Tommy's fingers at work! Smile
Always worth the wait.

Ronnie Miller

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2011 10:00 am     Tommy White

AMEN John,
Tommy will soon be with the others in St. Louis. I hope I can be there when it happens....Ronnie

Roy Davis

Denton, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2011 2:54 pm    

As a beginner on the steel Tommy is at the top of my favorites to watch,listen and learn from. It was a rare priviledge for me to get to hear Tommy in person at the Opry and again at the Station Inn in September with the Time Jumpers. It was awesome! Thanks Tommy for taking the time to talk with me at the Station Inn. I hope to see you again in person.

George Plemons

Corsicana, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2011 7:26 pm    

In all the years I have been reading the forum I have seen Tommy on here many times and my favorite thing about him is I have never seen him say a negative thing about anybody or anyone's music. It goes without saying that he is a great player, in fact my favorite two players of all time are in this thread, Tommy and Herby.

Jerry Meek

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2011 10:14 am     Tommy White

I am a nobody but have talked to Tommy several times and have been watching his career since he was a young boy I first saw Tommy at one of the first few of Scotty's starting of the convention's. Tommy had taste,soul,tone and a touch. I may not be able to play like the pro's but I can tell steller Playing and tone and taste and Tommy is absolutely as good as it gets and talks to you like he knows you. I would like to be able to post a shootout he had with a fiddle player in ST. LOUIS at Scotty's that I recorded of the Orange Blossum special, amazing I guess it was a tie because Tommy upped the ante every time until the fiddle player quit. He was Playing My PRO II and he never left any of it on there for me. A true gentleman thanks Jerry

Jon Teyler

Norway
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2011 12:30 pm    

I just want to line up with all the other Tommy White fans, and tell him how much I love his playing.
I tune in to the Opry online as often as possible, and the CD "By Request is constantly on when I'm driving. You are a great inspiration to all of us steel players on this side of the pond as well Tommy.

Glenn Thompson

Louisville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2011 7:52 pm    

I'm proud to say that Tommy and I share the same hometown. Long before I began playing steel I used to go to the clubs where Tommy's dad was playing. That helped to spark my interest in the instrument, and he would always answer any question I had. Then Tommy came on the scene; I am a long time fan of his, and I can tell you he's ALWAYS been great!

Kevin Brown

England
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2012 11:30 pm    

Hopped over from non pedal where I reside. Recently visited Nashville for a Time Jumpers Set, no Paul Franklin that night. After first set blown away by 'dep' steel man, didnt know who he was, passed on my thanks to him half time out the back, spent the whole interval with him, still didnt know who he was when I left the club later that night. Now I month later, by deduction and research I discover the nice guy I met was Tommy White and boy was that one hot night with him next to Vince Gill. What a great allrounder, i like guys who can blues it up a bit , but authentically, and he fit the bill totally, yep a new fan here.

Sonny Priddy

Elizabethtown, Kentucky, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2012 7:20 am     Tommy white

I Have Known Tommy Sence He Was 13 Years Old He Was Playing Steel At The Lincolin Jamboree At Hodgenville Ky. We Was There Togather And Talked ALot. IWas Playing And Singing Back Then. My Stage Name Was ( aka Hank Ray) Tommy Was Great Then And The Greatest Now Thanks Tommy For Being My Friend. Sonny ( aka Hank Ray)

Ray Jenkins

Gold Canyon Az. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2012 12:09 pm    

I've said it before and I'll say it again,Tommy White is "THE CLASS ACT"

Ray

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2012 1:50 pm    

I know it's frowned upon to talk in absolutes about who's the best and all that. But despite that I just feel that Tommy White is the BEST steel player out there. Period.

Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2012 10:18 pm    

I'll second Bill Miller. Just wish I would have got to have seen Tommy and heard him play while I was in Nashville this time.

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2015 10:26 pm    

In a research project on the inet, I happened upon this Steel Guitar Forum thread.
I was reminded again of what Hank Thompson's music meant to me and so many musicians. He was a very gracious and humble man. Hank Thompson's band was the first big band I heard live. Jim Murphy was playing a ZB Custom and killing it. I was 9 yrs old hiding behind a stack of beer cases at the bar, thanks to my dear ol' dad.
I was never to be the same. Smile

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2015 2:13 am    

Tommy White, you are a blessing to the steel guitar community. Recently there have been a few threads from a television show yuo played steel on. I have watched everyone of them and more than once. Johnny Cox hit the nail on the head, you are definitely out of this world on steel guitar. Thanks for blessing me with your music.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2015 6:07 am    

Tommy White wrote:
Well, I feel somewhat selfconscious to continue thanking my friends and hogging the forum space.
I wouldn't worry about that. I'm glad you re-opened this topic for a moment. It gives an observer the chance to talk about the community.
Herb Steiner wrote:
It occurred to me that there is something significant in this thread that differs from most Forum homage or praise threads....
it's more meaningful because it's from peers and colleagues.

Ancient advice that cautions praising the talented is worthy of consideration. It's embarrassing to the talented and otherwise
as it can engender jealousy and pride--at least in classical terms and eras, as in feudal China, where statues and icons always take a fall.
Supposedly we have risen above that over the centuries; we like to think so. Peers have experienced embarrassment and found it harmless,
but don't like to separate themselves from the 'less talented,' recognizing their interdependence and the dues paid
by those who've gone before, even as we pay tribute to those who will become 'those who have gone before.' It must be that way.

However, this isn't a public forum; it's a niche of steel players and fans. Not being a public show, friends and peers
are free to praise with little consequence, and it seems there's not enough opportunity to do that outside of this arena.
Few things said here would be said face to face; time often doesn't allow it, after the gig, after the moment passes.
To read the accolades of working musicians is inspiring to me--not to perform as well, but to enjoy the warmth of comradery,
unlike the worship of athletic heroes and other very public figures, villainous or otherwise.

To be called the best from some you may regard as your 'betters,' to take it with aplomb and know there will always be someone 'better'
--we all rely on that--is a trait that only real musicians can know. As an outsider, I find no fault in it. Relatively few people will read remarks here;
mine will go unnoticed. Words don't last (thus we have to do 'research'); music is lasting. Friendship and humility will remain as a strong impression.
I congratulate you all for what comes natural and doesn't need to be said, but like Herb, sometimes you can't help just sayin,'
and it's a privilege to be able to do that here with no remorse.
'More words count less,' that ancient steel player Emmons may have said; it is the privilege of the lesser to have too much to say.
I'm sure you all excuse the way I do go on, but I dig all you cats to the max as humans.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 26 Mar 2015 8:41 am    

A tip o' the Hankey to you this morning, Charlie! Wink

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2015 8:43 am    

Nature abhors a vacuum.

(Was it too much? I lingered over the delete bomb for a while.)

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2015 9:26 am    

too much.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2015 9:33 am    

OK. It's transitory anyway.

Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2015 9:01 pm    

He's still my favorite.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2015 8:43 am    

Barry Blackwood wrote:
A tip o' the Hankey to you this morning, Charlie! Wink

I'm glad this thread came back to life. I've never seen Tommy play live, but the rare opportunities that I get to see him on YouTube, especially the Opry, he just knocks my head silly. Tommy has the best tone of any steel guitar player I have ever heard. His touch and emotion is second to no one.