The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MixCraft is Great for Rhythm Tracks
Dave Stewart

Pensacola
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2011 1:39 am    

I just wanted to share with others a great software program that I've been using with my rhythm tracks called MixCraft...

MixCraft Recording Software

I highly recommend MixCraft, as it is only about $75 and a VERY nice program. The program allows you to change a song's tempo without altering its pitch (key); or you can alter the song's key without changing its tempo. This allows you to transpose any rhythm track into a different key, or slow down a song to learn a steel guitar piece.

Anything you can hear on your computer can be recorded with MixCraft. If MixCraft doesn't record what you hear on your computer, then run a 1/8" stereo jack from your line out (blue) to your microphone in (pink) port on the back of your computer. Also, make sure that "microphone" is enabled and the volume turned up in "control panel" from the "start" menu.

I have a Hawaiian rhythm track for "Carefree" from CumQuat Records...

THE HAWAIIAN HOTSHOTS PLAY ALONG CD

Yet I also have Jerry Byrd's tablature for "Carefree" in B11th in a different key that doesn't match the track's key. So I used MixCraft (I have version 5.1) to transpose the song into the same key as the tabs and now I can play Jerry's arrangment in the same key as the tabs.

As you can see, this is a great tool to have. If a song is too fast for you to play along with to learn, or the rhythm track is too fast; MixCraft allows you to slow the song down without changing the key. That's a really nice feature!

You can import any audio file, or record anything you can hear on your computer (such as a favorite YouTube video). Then you can export the song as a WAV, MP3, WMA, et cetera.

Here's a bunch more information on Rhythm Tracks (and a bunch of MP3 tracks to download: Hawaiian, Gospel and Country). Enjoy! ...

HAWAIIAN RHYTHM BACKING TRACKS AND MORE

ADJUSTING TEMPO IN MIXCRAFT...

If you have MixCraft, here's how to change the tempo or the key for any song. I'm using version 5.1 ...

Make sure to use the 3rd track or higher, which are for AUDIO tracks. One day I had no sound and couldn't figure out why. It was because I had opened an MP3 under track 2, which is for MIDI.

To input a song (such as an MP3 into MixCraft), right mouse-click on the audio track and select "add sound file." Browse for the sound file you want to open and select it.

At the bottom-left of your screen look for the words "time stretch by" and then select "adjust to project tempo" in the drop down menu. Oftentimes the program will automatically change the tempo higher or lower. If you don't like the tempo, then adjust it as follows.

If you want to slow the tempo (i.e., make the song slower), then choose a higher number. It works the opposite of what you'd think (I'm not sure why, it may have been a bug fixed in newer release).

ADJUSTING PITCH (KEY) IN MIXCRAFT...

If you want to change the pitch, go directly below where it says "adjust pitch by" and select "adjust to project key" from the drop down menu. Again, if you want to go to a higher key, then select a lower key from the menu. Also, the program will often change the key automatically once you open a song, which may or may not be the desired key your looking for.

If you have a noisy song, you can filter out noise very effectively (depending on the type of noise and the quality of the recording itself) by going down below to "noise reduction." I start with 50% and go from there. This little feature works great to eliminate hiss and hum in poorer recordings.

Once you've got the desired key and tempo, save the song by going up to "file" and then choose "mix down to." You can select MP3, WAV or some other formats. I always use MP3.

Kindest regards and God bless!