The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Am I hearing BIAB
Chuck Blake

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2011 6:39 am    

I'm a new to psg and so I'll label myself as a "self ordained newbie".

My question is simple. I listen to alot of great psg players on YouTube and the back up tracks are fantastic. Do the majority of these originate from BIAB?

I've tried using midi files and they sound like "Carnival Music". The YouTube postings sound like a band is just off camera playing.

Thanks for you comments.

Chuck

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2011 6:42 am    

Try it, you'll like it! Very Happy

David Collins

Madison, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2011 4:35 am    

What Erv Said !!

Leon Carpenter

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2011 10:05 am     Is it BIAB?

P.M. sent --------- Leon

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2011 11:33 am    

I've never been able to get BIAB to sound like anything other than a glorified calliope, yet I hear some great tracks by other forumites.

Wish I knew what their secrets were! Shocked

Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2011 12:04 pm    

Tony Glassman wrote:
I've never been able to get BIAB to sound like anything other than a glorified calliope, yet I hear some great tracks by other forumites.

Wish I knew what their secrets were! Shocked

What version of BIAB are you running?The real tracks sound like real tracks..The midi sound like midi.

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2011 12:31 pm    

MAC 2009.5 w/ upgrade.

Chuck Blake

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2011 8:13 pm    

Tony that's my point and if that is what BIAB produces then I'll stay away from it, but it sounds like from the other comments that if I use some additional software I might get what I'm looking for.

Any other comments and suggestions appreciated.

Leon pm back at you Winking

Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2011 9:43 pm    

The new versions are REAL insturments played by REAL people..They are not midi..Go to the pgmusic site and listen to the demos...
I agree the older versions didn't sound very good but they were midi..

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2011 11:08 pm    

Also, your computer sound card plays a big part in how the midi will sound, a cheezy sound card will not sound as good as a better one. You can also use a plug in such as Coyote ForteDxi.

"The Coyote ForteDXi is a DirectX (DXi) plug-in that implements a high-quality sample player. Its sampled instruments offer a sound quality far better than the standard MIDI synthesizer. ForteDXi works with any compatible DXi host program to allow it to produce very realistic instrument sounds".

Dave Stewart

Pensacola
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2011 7:45 am     Band In A Box Tracks

Below are some rhythm tracks which I have made using the new BIAB. I have version 2010.5, but they have already released a new version. I purchased the entire package last year, which came on a terabyte external USB plug-in hardrive. I actually am running the BIAB program from right off the hardrive, which option is given to you during installation.

Here is "I Can't Help It," that I made using a real fiddle intro, real drums and real bass...

I CAN'T HELP IT RHYTHM TRACK

Here is a video of me playing along with the very same BIAB track...

I CAN'T HELP IT

In the new BIAB, you have the option to change any instrument in a particular style to a "real" instrument if it's not already real. By "real" I mean actual ".wav" recordings by professional musicians. It's really amazing what they have done with BIAB. I think it is very nice, although nothing can replace the feel of a real band working together. Still, BIAB is much better than some bands I've heard...lol.

Here's a BIAB track I made for "Song For Sarah" using real instruments...

SONG FOR SARAH RHYTHM TRACK

Here is a video of me playing along with the very same track...

SONG FOR SARAH

There's a style called "Slow Country" which I like because it already has real instruments in it (some styles use all real instruments, and others don't, but most are a combination). I like all real instruments usually. The drums are great.

Also, make sure that your computer speakers have a SUB WOOFER (the bigger speaker on the floor that gives you a nice bass sound). It's worth buying a nice set of computer speakers to give you more of a live band sound when you record. Your BIAB songs will only sound as good as your computer's sound capabilities and speaker system. That's what I do for my YouTube videos.

Kindest regards and God bless.

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2011 9:41 am    

I've had versions of BIAB on my computer since it was first produced, and I've only used it for practice. My opinion of it has always been that it sounds synthetic, and, in any case, I prefer to play all the backing instruments myself.

Having said that, I should go on to state that I have a Windows XP Pro system, and I don't have the top-of-the-line version of BIAB, which is expensive.

A couple of years ago, I was over at Basil Henriques' place, and he demonstated his MAC-based system with the Pro version of BIAB and it's completely different. Basil has worked around MIDI since its inception, and has years of experience as a sound engineer, having at one time owned his own radio station, and currently working with the BBC, so his recommendation of the system carries a lot of weight.

So, it seems you get what you pay for. BIAB can be made to sound like real instruments if you put the time and money into it, have a great system of wave samples and a wonderful sound card, and know what you're doing. Winking

But then, why not just use real instruments ? Rolling Eyes

Chuck Blake

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2011 9:42 am    

Thanks for the posting Dave. When I get back home from camping (the WiFi sucks here) I'll download your music and take a listen.

Have a good Holiday Smile .

Chuck

Chuck Blake

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2011 7:58 am     Received a "Nasty Note" about this post

I wanted to apollogize to anyone that may feel that I ignored them if they sent me a PM reference to my original post about BIAB.

I answered any email (off site) and on site PM's that I received , however it seems I offended a member who thought I was ignoring his email which I never received Whoa! .

Again just wanted to make sure this was cleaned up. I'm new and want any and all advice.

Thanks
Chuck

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 30 Sep 2011 12:46 am    

All this of course assumes you have something more than a plain midi version of BIAB, Don't waste our time trying to compare your 1903 version.

Load mp3 etc, into BIAB remove the original music tweak the chords here and there, select real instruments, style, Key and tempo.

Move it to Real Band which is included with BIAB and add or subtract all the tracks you like.

Mix and burn a good sounding CD.

This will Save you a lot of time on your demo CDS as apposed to live music recording.

You can also Save your BIAB song so you can redo if you choose and save each of the individual Real Band tracks in case you ever want to redo.
What's not to like?