The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Volume and Effects unit for pedal steel
Kevin Klimek

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2011 10:51 am    

Here's something you might be interested in. I've looked long and hard for a volume pedal that I can afford that doesn't rob tone or signal strength. (key word 'affordable'). I started experimenting with my volume and effects unit that I use with my Strat which is a very affordable ($149.00 or less if used) Digitech RP250. This volume pedal is digital, no noisy pots and can be inserted in the signal chain either before or after the effects that you want dialed in. Problem: My floor pedals on my steel (8 of them) are in the way. Solution: Move the volume pedal on the unit from the right side to the left side. I solved this by contacting my close friend at FABER CONCEPTS. He took on the project and modified the chassis, moved the volume pedal to the LEFT side, reconnected internal electronics and now I have a multi-effects unit with an integrated volume pedal that to my ears has to be up there with the best on the market. If you'd like more information, send me a PM and I'll put you in touch with the company. Before & After photo enclosed.

Landon Roberson

Church Hill, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2011 7:03 am    

I have a RP250 as well but when I use the volume pedal I get signal loss I thought it was the amp for awhile but I then turned teh EXP pedal off and connected a dunlop volume pedal in the chain and the volume was much louder and more headroom can you tell me what to do to use the volume pedal on the RP250 because I love it it I can get the same signal strength out of it that I get with a regular volume pedal.

Kevin Klimek

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2011 9:48 am     Volume issue

Hi Landon...
I've experienced none of that and have "A/B'd" every pot based volume pedal (even an old Edwards light beam) and the Digitech blows 'em out of the water. Here's how I set mine up. If you know how to calibrate, the first thing I do is hold both up and down switches down a LONG time until the display goes thru "BYPASS" then, 'TUNER' and finally it will go to Exp pedal toe down....press the pedal down and hit one of the up or down switches. Then it will prompt "toe up", so then kick the pedal back up and press one of the up or downs again and the volume pedal is now calibrated. After you do this it will go to VSW switch which I ignore...instead I just press (I think) the store button to get out of the calibrate mode when I"m finished.

Other things you might try within a specific patch is to be sure your toe up volume is set where you want it...anything down to zero...then set the toe down volume to 99 which is the max and that's what you'd want for sure. Since I use a bit of reverb in my patches, I set my volume up to be PRE effects and NOT POST. This way you still get the nice reverb tail when gutting your volume upwards after a note.

I also like using compression which adds power AND sustain. I run my compression wide open on the pedal with attack at zero. One other thing...be sure your "preset" level is set at 99 to get the most gain and of course you have master gain which is global for all the patches to also set to your liking. Hope this helps...good luck.

Landon Roberson

Post  Posted 29 Aug 2011 10:09 am    

I just found that when I power it up I need to check knob 4 and turn it up all the way for max output. I use compression also and set it at 31 for sustain 25 for attack and 76 for level should I change these settings. I use reverb and delay also and have a great sound it is just not loud enough but it may be the master out which is controlled by knob 4.

Kevin Klimek

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2011 11:41 am     volume

You nailed it Landon...the master level is key. I just did a radio show for a country singer that I played steel with yesterday and I run straight into the board. In that case I made sure I had enough headroom so I kept my master level about at 40. Once he had me right below clipping I knew I had enough extra gas in the tank if I needed to tweak it. And again, also when you go into EDIT mode, the very first light is where you go to the far right to adjust the "preset level" and that IS storable per patch totally separate from the master global level. I've always been a believer in getting the hottest signal I can before it leaves my side of the stage. Good luck. I LOVE this pedal. At about $149.00 I can't figure out why anyone would spend tons of money for just a volume pedal alone and then add effects on top of it along with extra interconnecting cables...not to mention adding an outboard tuner which you and I already have in the RP....Do you play a single or a double? I had to have mine chopped and swapped since I play both C6 and E9....

Kevin Klimek

Minnesota, USA

You nailed it Landon...the master level is key. I just did a radio show for a country singer that I played steel with yesterday and I run straight into the board. In that case I made sure I had enough headroom so I kept my master level about at 40. Once he had me right below clipping I knew I had enough extra gas in the tank if I needed to tweak it. And again, also when you go into EDIT mode, the very first light is where you go to the far right to adjust the "preset level" and that IS storable per patch totally separate from the master global level. I've always been a believer in getting the hottest signal I can before it leaves my side of the stage. Good luck. I LOVE this pedal. At about $149.00 I can't figure out why anyone would spend tons of money for just a volume pedal alone and then add effects on top of it along with extra interconnecting cables...not to mention adding an outboard tuner which you and I already have in the RP....Do you play a single or a double? I had to have mine chopped and swapped since I play both C6 and E9....

Kevin Klimek

Minnesota, USA

Landon Roberson

Post  Posted 30 Aug 2011 3:05 am    

Do you set your volumes at 99 or do they very the master volume and the volume of each preset?

Kevin Klimek

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2011 5:10 am     Volume

Hi. The specific preset volumes may vary some with me. I try to keep them all even sounding so there's no huge fluctuation in volume from one to the next. I try to keep preselt levels at 99 though to maintain strong gain. A patch with chorus may sound louder than one with just reverb...in that case I may trim the chorus patch preset level back a dab to smooth it out. This isn't typically an issue when I'm on steel since I never use any wild effects like heavy distortion or flanging. But on six string, patches with overdrive or distortion tend to be a lot louder by nature so I will trim preset levels on those types so they sound even with the others. As far as master (global) volume, I typically set it once for the room and gig and leave it for the duration of the show. When I am at the mercy of a sound man I will "cheat" and turn my master volume to somewhere less than 99 so I have a little headroom to play with (when he's not looking) Mr. Green