The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My multi-effects setup
Kevin Klimek

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2011 8:45 am    

I've been searching for a setup that doesn't seem to rob all of my tone and every volume pedal (that I can afford) seems to do it. I play a GFI Ultra D-10. I'm also a six stringer and have a Digitech RP250 that has great effects with an integrated volume pedal that sounds awesome. Since the footswitches are on the left side for effect selecting, I didn't have enough room to utilize this unit since it was too close to my floor pedals of my steel. I came up with a great design, although to some it may look funky. Since I make it a point not to "diss" manufacturers unneccessarily, I'll just say that I used a pot based volume pedal that I didn't like the tone of, for a "dummy" controller. Then I took two 2 inch pieces of thin yet rigid flat iron and bolted them to the top of the pedal, then bridged them across my effects unit and bolted them to the effects unit's volume pedal. PROBLEM SOLVED! My 'dummy' pedal is electronically dead, it just rocks the effects pedal's volume up and down and it sounds AWESOME. The digitech pedal is to the right, out of the way and dead quiet and as smooth as silk with absolutely no tone loss. For you guys that play single E9, you won't have to probably go to this extreme; just use the RP250 (recently updated by DT to an RP255) as a standalone effects and volume pedal. You'll be pleasantly surprised. My pedal was $149.00 new, and if you prowl Ebay you probably can find one at a fraction of the cost. I'll try to get some pics posted later.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2011 3:46 pm    

Clever idea, Kevin! How about some pictures of your creativity?

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2011 7:57 am    

There's been an ongoing thread in Electronics about the 150/155/250/255 Digitechs. Trading settings, models etc. Ahhh. Here it is:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=188121&highlight=rp150

You are not alone... Alien Alien Alien Whoa!

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2011 11:03 am    

Thanks, David, interesting thread. I keep being tempted by the Digitech gizmos, but do want one with aux in for my ipod practicing. The only ones with that are the ones with expression pedal, which I don't really see a need for. It's always something...