The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ZANE BECK /Pedal Steel Guitar History
Zane King

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2011 7:02 pm    

This is an article that appeared in the Arkansas Gazette about Zane Beck in December 1984. As a tribute to him, I thought it would be nice to have this on the SG Forum. I have typed this just as it appears in the article. However, I think the last paragraph the writer confused "ZB" with "BMI". I'm very proud to say that I have that very first BMI "keyless" model. It is quite a treasure. That picture is below the article.

When Hawaii became a United States possession in 1898, the Hawaiian guitar became the rage stateside. More than half a decade later rural musicians adapted its plaintive wail, and country music hasn't been the same since. Arkansas Zane Beck has a small stake in that piece of musical history. the Saline County musician not only is credited with developing knee pedals for the pedal steel guitar, a direct descendant of the Hawaiian guitar, but his pedal steel guitar plant near Clarksville ships the instruments all over the United States and the world.

Beck, 56, was born near Clarksville but livs in the East End community in Saline County, where he owns a small recording studio, Zanbeck Sound. Beck's 1800-square foot pedal steel plant, which he co-owns with Don Fritsche, is located in Scranton, near Clarksville, and turns out about 15 pedal steel guitars a month. Before a guitar can be shipped to a customer as far away as California, Canada, or Australia, each custom-built model first is transported to Beck's Saline County home, where he meticulously inspects and plays each one. The cases are made in his basement by assistant Florence Stone.

Beck has been a pedal steel player for 38 years and is a former staff musician with the Louisiana Hayride and a frequent guest on the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville, Tenn. He played with T. Texas Tyler, Billy Walker, Red Sovine, Lonzo and Oscar and Jim Reeves, among others, and often is asked to fill in with Central Arkansas bluegrass bands or to provide pedal steel accompaniment on records made in his studio. From time to time, noted pedal steel players such as Julian Tharpe, DeWitt Scott and Buddy Emmons have dropped by to jam at Beck's studio and talk shop. "At one time George Jones' band came by to see me in Jones' bus. Sonny (Curtis, then Jones' steel player) wanted me to check his guitar," Beck said.

Beck said he learned about making pedal steel guitars "just from fooling with them and seeing a need" as a musician.

Having evolved from the Hawaiian guitar, the pedal steel guitar is a relatively new instrument. It features raised strings, which are played by sliding a "steel" or round, metal bar, up and down the frets. Prior to foot pedals, multiple guitar necks were used to get the required chord changes. Pedals, both the foot and knee variety, program the machine to make the chord changes" by either raising or lowering the strings, Beck said.

The addition of foot pedals to the instrument didn't gain popularity until at least the 1950s. The 1954, Webb Pierce hit, "Slowly" featured a pedal steel solo by Bud Isaacs that was an immediate success but many musicians of the day were still leery of the new fangled foot pedals.

In their "Pedal Steel Guitar" handbook, Winnie Winston and Bill Keith document that Beck added knee levers to the guitar of a Kansas City musician in 1952 and added them to the guitar of noted pedal steel player Jimmy Day in 1953.

Beck himself, said he first added the knee levers out of necessity. "Paul Howard, who I was playing with in the early '50s said I couldn't play the steel guitar with him if it had foot pedals. Without foot pedals, "how am I going to get the chord changes I need?" Beck wondered.

Beck, a natural tinkerer, didn't take long to figure out how to add pedals underneath the top of the guitar so he could work them with his knees without anybody seeing him do it.

Howard didn't know about the knee pedals but "he kept bragging on me," Beck remembered. Then one night Beck and another steel guitar player "had a jam session after hours" and the musician turned Beck's guitar upside down, exposing the knee pedals. It caused a stir: "They weren't used to something new", Beck said.

Beck also met with skepticism when he designed a pedal steel guitar without tuning keys in 1969. The strings are tuned with an Allen wrench, and the instrument "doesn't go out of tune, even when you bang it around " he said. In 1974, he formed Beck Musical Instruments, Inc. and began manufacturing the keyless guitars under the BMI name in 1980. He said once musicians get past the way the instruments look and actually play them, they don't go back to conventionally tuned models.

Beck has been making pedal steel guitars since 1949, when he began modifying regular guitars for himself and friends, and has been making them on a larger scale since about 1961. He sold the manufacturing rights to his first pedal steel model, the "ZK" to Tom Brumley, formerly with country singer, Buck Owens. Brumley, now owns the ZB pedal steel guitar company in Austin, Texas.

Beck worked for Sho-Bud, a famous pedal steel manufacture, in 1958 and 1959, and designed a volume pedal for them, among other things.

In 1966, Beck and his family moved from Phoenix, Arizona where he started manufacturing the ZB guitars, to Scranton, near where he was born. Beck built a home and the adjoining guitar plant and later sold part of the plant to Fritsche. He moved to the East End Community in 1978 with plans to open a music store in the area and sell his custom-made guitars.

At about that time, however, the economy began a downward turn and Beck realized it wasn't the right time for a move in the music store business. After settling in central Arkansas, Beck continued to operate the Scranton plant with his partner. Although the factory is only turning out half as many pedal steel guitars as it did several years ago, Beck said the factory is doing well to stay open since several major pedal steel factories have folded recently.

Beck uses paka wood, a pressed hardboard made to withstand extreme temperature changes, for the cabinets. He buys hardwood in Missouri and lets it age. He has designed molds for many of the aluminum parts, although he purchases some already made.

Beck can make the guitars as simply or fancy as the customer wants. His most intricate guitar was a 14-string, gold-plated model with 10 floor pedals and six knee pedals.

He sells the guitars to "music stores all over the United States and Candad, Australia, Germany, and England. The ZB guitar is the No. selling guitar of its kind in England" he said.

Here is the BMI keyless model that his mentioned in the article. This is me playing in St. Louis at the BMI booth. This is a very unique guitar. You can see in this photo that it is tuned from the right hand side. All subsequent models were tuned from the left side.

Chuck McGill

An hour from Memphis and 2 from Nashville, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2011 2:57 am    

Thanks Zane for all the info. Very interesting fellow who made great guitars.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2011 4:01 am    

A friend in Pennsylvania, Harry Hatterer, has the last "ZB" built before the company was sold and moved from Arkansas. He bought the guitar new.

Here is a picture of that guitar, taken about 4 years ago when he was visiting here in Florida. It still looks new.

Zane King

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2011 12:31 pm    

That is an interesting logo on that ZB guitar. I don't think there were too many of those logos, huh?

Eddie Lane

Branson, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2011 12:40 pm    

Zane Beck was a very close friend to me. He got me interested in steel guitar back in the early 70s and built my 1st one shortly after. Tom Brumley once told me that Zane was a genius and I believe that he was right. I still miss him.

Cass Broadview

Post  Posted 15 Jul 2011 1:57 am    

Let's not forget zane beck was a master player as well. His playing on "Zane Beck Meets Bobby Caldwell", and "Zane Beck Plays The ZB Student Model", and also the LP he cut with Julian Tharpe. I just love zanes chord work on his E9th 6th tuning. He also built Julian Tharpe a couple of 14 string steels.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2011 6:40 am    

Zane, thanks for posting that article about one of the true genius's of pedal steel in both playing and manufacturing. I have two BMI pedal steels now and they're both "state of the art" as far as instruments go. I think the BMI is much easier to work on than the old ZB though. Zane did it his way in the shop and on the bandstand and he's to be admired. I think he passed away much too soon though. Also, thanks for keeping his tuning ideas alive and creating interest in it. I think that the Zane Beck tuning should be really looked at more closely. I have a deal cooking right now on an old ShoBud fingertip double 12 that I might see if it's possible to put the ZB tuning on the inside neck......JH in Va.

Beverly Brown

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2011 4:23 am    

I'm Zane Beck's daughter, Beverly Brown and our family wants to let everyone know that we really appreciate all the kind words and the interest in his life and music.

Zane, it has been a long time since our paths have crossed. He would be so proud of you! Thanks for keeping him "alive". It's hard to believe he's been gone 26 years.

My mother, Faye Millsap has recently lost her husband Joe of 20 years to Colon Cancer and surgery complications. She has lung cancer and is taking chemo weekly and has Alzheimer's. Our daughter, Audry is moving into her basement to help take care of her.

In the cleaning process, we have run across some interesting steel guitar info and thought some of you might be interested. We will be going through this and may be selling some to help out with my mother's care. I know that mom has records on serial numbers, ZB and BMI back to the 60s. There are drawings/diagrams, old reel to reel tapes, pieces of exotic wood, guitars, albums, cassette tapes, etc.

More info to follow...

Dan Burnham

Greenfield, Tennessee
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2011 12:37 pm     Beverly Please Call

Beverly,
My name is Dan Burnham and I work with Don at the BMI factory. Could you give me a call @ 1.731.819.6251

Thanks,

Dan

Zane King

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2011 6:01 pm    

Thanks for posting Beverly. It is great to hear from you again after all these years. You father will always be "alive" in my heart. Every time I sit behind my guitar I am reminded of him. Much blessings to you!

Zane

Robert Matthews

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2011 6:22 pm    

Not to contradict Jack Stoner, but I probably have the very last ZB to be built in Scranton, Ark. with the old logo. When Zane sold his company he told me and my dad (Jack Matthews)a longtime friend of Zanes, that he had in his shop enough parts to build 3 guitars. I know he nurtured the new buyer for several months and helped with the transition after the sale of ZB. So he quite possibly built the first 3 for the new company in California right there in Scranton. So heres the deal, he had 3 guitars serial #s 0001, 0002, and 0003. I have 0003. These were the guitars he had parts enough to build. TJ Seaman from Shreveport, LA, who sold a few guitars for Zane bought all 3 of those guitars and my dad bought the natural birdseye maple of the 3. Also the only ZB made in Scranton ever in that natural birdseye color. Zane said he made a bunch of blues, reds, and greens but never a natural birdseye. There were naturals made after he sold to California but not pryor to '68-69. This is the last ZB that ever came out of Scranton, Zane told us. I went many times to his shop in Scranton before the TORNADO blew him and Faye off the hill. The new ZB's had a different decal, pedal bar and aesthetics compared to the Sranton ZB's.Don who runs BMI now knows the history of this guitar.Sweetest sounding steel I ever heard my dad play.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2011 2:41 am    

I'm going on what Harry told me about the guitar. He was in close contact with Zane while it was being built. Ted Solesky, who was Harry's teacher and a ZB "dealer" and player was working with Zane to get the guitar for Harry.

Ted Solesky lived in the Lebanon Pa area at the time, Harry in York Pa. Ted Solesky now lives in Mineral Wells Texas and I think still has a ZB.

Robert Matthews

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2011 12:44 pm    

I would love for you to find out the serial number on that guitar of your friends Mr. Jack. I think I remember my dad speaking very fondly of you somewhere down through the years, heck I probably met you myself somewhere. I'm just a nutty bass player! Hope all is well with you. Please check that # when it's convienent. Thanks, Robert

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2011 1:35 pm    

It may be a while. Harry is currently off line and I don't have a phone number.

Doing a forum search I did see a post by Harry that he mentioned "1968 ZB D10".

Robert Matthews

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2011 2:01 pm    

Anybody have #1 or #2?

B. Greg Jones

Middleport, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2011 5:51 pm    

If Harry got his ZB from Ted Solesky.....the last guitar that Ted got from Zane was #1168 invoiced on Dec. 24th, 1968 according to the invoice records that I have. There were however guitars 1169,1170, and 1171 were invoiced on the 27th, 29th, and 31st of Dec. respectfully. All of these guitars were the last ones built and assembled in Scranton, Ark. Tom Brumley took ownership of the company in 1969 and moved it to Bakersfield Ca. Zane went out to help them set up shop and assemble guitars. The first dozen or so guitars out of Bakersfield, still had the CZB Scranton decal. Tom started a new serial number scheme when he took over the company starting with #0001, 0002, etc. These guitars used parts, built by Zane in Scranton and assembled by Zane and the new ZB crew in Bakersfield. This was info given to me by Tom Brumley several years ago.

Greg

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2011 8:49 am    

I heard from Harry and from other posts here his was not one of the last built in Stockton. His is S/N 1086 and he got it in August of 68 (it was sent by air and he picked it up at the Harrisburg airport).

But, he also stated that Zane told him he was finishing things up and preparing for the move.

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2011 11:28 am    

Jack, that looks like August of 1967 on the ZB serial number list. Harry's guitar is the cleanest early ZB I've ever seen. It looks brand new and sounds fab.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2011 2:17 am    

Kevin, I worked in a band with Harry (Hap) back in 1965/66. He was playing a Fender 400 at the time. Harry told me he put the guitar away for 20 years and didn't touch it while his kids were growing up. He only got it back out about 7 or 8 years ago.

I thought it could have been 67 too as I thought he got it a year after I left the band. But he called me yesterday with the information.

http://www.gulfcoaststeelguitar.com/pix.htm

There is a picture of the old York Pa band on my web site with Harry and his Fender 400. I was picking lead guitar at the time with a Gretsch Chet Atkins guitar.

He used D9th tuning on it for many years and only changed to E9th after I talked him in to it about 5 years ago. He was afraid E9th was going to cause problems and damage the guitar.

Zane King

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2011 5:04 am    

I hope you guys get this figured out. I was born in 1968 so I can't be of much help. Shocked Very Happy

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2011 6:49 am    

Zane, I don't know anything except what I'm told. If someone has different info I can't dispute or corroborate it. Smile

Robert Matthews

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2011 5:02 am    

Where is Zane when you need him? May GOD rest his soul. I just know I got a beautiful natural birdseye double 10 built by the master! #0003

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2011 5:40 am    

Zane, thanks for all the history. I've been a Zane Beck fan since Al Perkins played a ZB with Stephen Stills and Manassas. Maybe I missed it in your article, but who's the lil fella playin in the bottom photo?

Zane King

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2011 6:45 am    

Rick, that is me playing at Scotty's in St. Louis. Likely around 1980. That was the first BMI keyless guitar that Zane Beck made in the late 70s. To my knowledge, he had once done a ZB keyless already. I have this guitar that I'm playing in that photo. It is a very unique design and good instrument.

ZK

Ron Bailey

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2023 10:10 pm     Bmi

I Love BMI Pedal steel guitar's for many reasons I bought my first BMI in 1992 A used S-10 3X4 in Rosewood Mica Got in a bind a few year's latter had to sell, A few year's after that got an other S-10 3X4 In Pecan Mica a little while latter was stolen. I Bought a S-10 3X4 in Black Mica was a basket case I torn it down & totally Rebuilt It Customized it made all New Body In Red oak with pecan color lacquer finish made a custom metal neck Added a fifth knee lever all polished out new fretboard Did some custom Embossing on a lot of the part's. Is Sweet now, I have had it since 2012 it's a 1982. I all way's want a BMI D-10 8X5 in Rosewood mica. they no longer make in Rosewood Or Pecan I Want one Like my Dream Guitar. At Last 2 year's ago I found & bought A BMI D-10 8X5 in Rosewood Mica in near mint condition on a scale from 1-10 It's a 9 Awesome Guitar Has George L E66 on the E9th neck play's & sound's Awesome! The owner had it since it was brand new, he had Several Pedal Steel's this one his wife said had been packed in the case in a closet for over 30 year's it's a 1978 took me 25 year's to find One & Able to afford it over the last 35 year's I have had bought sold & traded at least 30 Pedal Steel's but I all way's go back to BMI I Admire Zane Beck & Don Fritchie with great Respect & admiration for the m both my hat's off to both of them. I Never met Zane Or Don I have talked with Don many time's & dealt with him many time's over the year's he deserves A Metal. I Collet BMI's now & have 3 Have. I love to work on & restore them. I hope one day soon I will be able to go meet Don & check out his shop.