The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help
Larry Leek

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2011 7:38 am    

How can you put a sololist in two locations in a midi, using real instruments?

Dave Stewart

Pensacola
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2011 12:32 am     Soloist in Two Locations

I see this is an older post, but I'd like to answer it and share some ideas for future reference.

MIDI tracks do not contain audio data, only note data. Thus, "real" instruments were not designed for use with MIDI in BIAB. MIDI data are only 1's and 0's that your computer's sound card turns into music; whereas the "real" instruments are actual audio files from live musicians who played the various instruments.

Having said that, by using BIAB's built in recording feature, I believe you could use the "mute" button to control "when" the solist plays in a song during the recording; but you wouldn't be able to save it as MIDI using the real instruments. MIDI is confined to the 128 sounds built into your computer's sound system.

Quote:
Unlike analog devices, MIDI does not transmit an audio signal: it sends event messages about musical notation, pitch and intensity, control signals for parameters such as volume, vibrato and panning, cues, and clock signals to set the tempo.MIDI

Here's what I do for my recordings from BIAB with real instruments. I use another program, like MixCraft, Acid Loops or CakeWalk (any program that records) to record while BIAB is playing the song. Then I can export the song from MixCraft as an MP3, WMA or WAV file.

What I do is I let the "solist" play through the entire song, but use the "mute" button to control where it is heard in my recording. This way I can let the solist play an intro, mute it, then unmute the solist for a solo during the middle of the song, mute it, and then maybe bring the solist back in for an ending. All the time I am using MixCraft to record everything. This technique works well for me.

I highly recommend MixCraft, as it is cheaper and a VERY nice program. The program also allows you to change a song's tempo without altering its pitch (key); or you can alter the song's key without changing its tempo. This allows you to transpose any rhythm track into a different key, or slow down a song to learn a steel guitar piece. If MixCraft doesn't record what you hear on your computer, then run a 1/8" stereo jack from your line out (blue) to your microphone in (pink) port on the back of your computer. Also, make sure that "microphone" is enabled and the volume turned up in "control panel" from the "start" menu.

I like to choose REAL fiddles for both guitar and strings to get a double fiddle sound. Sometimes I'll assign ukuleles to both guitar and strings, to get a stronger ukulele rhythm in a Hawaiian song. I use the harmonist or soloist usually for intros and solos, assigning REAL instruments.

Kindest regards and God bless.

Larry Leek

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2011 7:13 am    

Thanks for that in deph explantion.