The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  <<< NEW COURSE! C6 Texas Style VOL. 2 >>
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2011 8:16 am    

Well, after too long an absence from course creation, I've assembled another selection of tunes for the C6 tuning that are accepted by most players here in the Lone Star State as being de rigeur for the repertoire of country and swing dance bands.

The new course is entitled C6 Texas Style, Vol.2 and is complementary to my other C6 courses in that it follows the same design; concentration on chord melody using the essential 3-string grips, and with an approach of basic chord substitution.

Chord substitution on the C6, which centers predominantly on using minor chords to sub for related major chords, and minor seventh and diminished chords to sub for dominant (b7 based) chords, is essential for understanding the C6 tuning. The same principles apply for the E9, in fact, and many of these same substitutions are already familiar to E9 players. Only the grips and the pedal changes are, at first glance, different.

This course utilizes only the 3 basic pedals (5, 6, and 7) and the knee lever, both singly and in combination.

Fear not, oh y'all of little faith! The material is, like my C6 Texas Style Vol.1 very accessible and is designed for the experienced beginner through intermediate level playing. Even those amongst us who are advanced on the E9 tuning may benefit from the material in these courses.

As with my previous works, the course includes a CD and a book of tablature. On the CD I play a solo to a BIAB backing track, and the backing track follows without steel so that you can play the solo yourselves. The tablature is my solo, note-for-note, clearly printed.

The songs are:
1. Bubbles In My Beer (D), entire song and tag
2. Your Cheating Heart (C), intro, entire song, and tag
3. Blue Spanish Eyes (G), intro, entire song, and tag
4. My Shoes Keep Walking Back To You (Eb) intro, entire song, and tag
5. I Love You Because (C), entire song (similar to Chalker's version)
6. Walking After Midnight (Bb) intro, entire song, and tag
7. Panhandle Rag (E) intro, entire song, improv solo, and tag

The course is not up on my website yet, but will be in a couple of days. You can pre-order now by sending me (via PayPal) $28, postage paid, to herbsteiner@austin.rr.com and I'll get it in the mail this week.

If you're PayPal averse, you can also mail a check for that amount to:
Herb Steiner
6705 Hwy 290 West, suite 502
Austin TX 78735

Beginning on Thursday 3/10/2011, I will be at the TSGA Jamboree and then a couple of days fishing at Lake Fork, but I will be back home on Wednesday and can fill orders received during my time in North Texas.

I hope those of you who are curious about the C6 tuning and would like to explore it will consider my efforts in these endeavors of mine. I have received many compliments about my course material and hope this one measures up to my previous work.

I thank you all for your support and your indulgence.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2011 8:05 am    

I have a couple sound clips as samples

I Love You Because

Walking After Midnight

C6 ain't rocket science. I think it's easier than E9, actually.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

JB Arnold

Longmont,Co,USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2011 12:12 pm    

i assume we could also pick up a copy at the show?

JB

"All in all, looking back, I'd have to say the best advice anyone ever gave me was 'Hands Up, Don't Move!"

"Your FIRST mistake was listening to your wife instead of your steel instructor." (H.Steiner)

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2011 3:46 pm    

Your assumption has a remarkable degree of accuracy, John. Yes, I will have copies of this new course available at the Jamboree.

JB Arnold

Longmont,Co,USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2011 4:57 pm    

Remarkable assumptions are my stock and trade my man. I got a million of 'em. See you at the show...

JB

"All in all, looking back, I'd have to say the best advice anyone ever gave me was 'Hands Up, Don't Move!"

"Your FIRST mistake was listening to your wife instead of your steel instructor." (H.Steiner)

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2011 7:02 pm     I've been gone for a week!

To all the wonderful people who ordered the new C6 course this past week, be aware that I've been out of town since last Thursday... first at the TSGA Jamboree and then three days fishing at Lake Fork, TX... so I didn't get to do my usual timely mailout on orders received whilst I was indisposed.

They all go out tomorrow.

Thanks to all the great folks I met at the Jamboree. Y'all made it a wonderful weekend for me. Luvy'all. Smile

Ernest Cawby

Lake City, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2011 7:38 pm     hi

Hi ernie here I did not know you had this I would have bought it in Dallas. Send me your address so I can send a check , you know also I have almost everything you have written already.

ernie your friend I hope

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2011 8:42 am    

Ernie... my friend..., I will most certainly send you out a copy of the C6TX2 course. Send me your address once again by email and I'll put it in the mail on Monday.