The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Eminence EPS 15C Steel Guitar Speaker
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 May 2011 2:04 am    

Eminence has announced their new 15" neodymium magnet Steel Guitar Speaker.

http://www.eminence.com/speakers/speaker-detail/?model=EPS_15C

I have been field testing the speaker (along with several others) for the past month or so. It is designed to be a direct replacement for the Peavey 1501-4 Black Widow speaker.

I'm using it with an MB200 amplifier and my first impression when I tried the speaker was that it sounded like the JBL K-130 that I used in a Fender Twin Reverb. After the speaker got broken in it mellowed out and I'm getting abut the same sound with the Eminence speaker and the MB200 as I did with a Peavey Nashville 1000 (with the 1501-4 BW speaker).

Ray Walker

Smithfield, NC, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 May 2011 4:07 am    

Jack I agree with you 100%. Matter of fact I liked it so much that I was offered and decided to take on the product as a dealer. Like a lot of players these days, I just can't keep picking up the weight but needed a solid solution without giving up tone. What you have done is one way. I also took the head from a Session 400 and re-installed that into a "head cabinet" which is a lot lighter and a lot less bulky. I can handle that. Then just plug it into the Eminence and go play your gig.

Ray Walker

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 May 2011 9:03 am    

I've got some sample clips of the Eminence (it was designated PS-15 for the prototypes), the 250 watt SICA speaker that Ken Fox sells and the stock Nashville 112 speaker.

I used the Nashville 112 amp, with the same settings for all three speakers, for comparison. There are also Eminence clips using a GK MB200 amp.

http://www.gulfcoaststeelguitar.com/sptest.htm

Here is pictures of the(temporary)speaker cabinet that I built for the Eminence. It is the same size as a Nashville 112 except 1" taller so it can accept the 15" speaker. I also made it the same size so I can use my Nashville 112 amp cover or the Danny Bently fiber cover.

Ray Walker

Post  Posted 14 May 2011 12:57 pm    

First off, That is a very nice extension cabinet. The comparison tracks you provided are a great way for folks to hear the true differences in these speakers as well as showing the new ones off. I too got a speaker from Ken Fox (SICA) and have used that out on the jobs some already. While I would like to cut down on the weight, I have had problems accepting a tone loss and now that is not going to happen. Thanks for your input for these speakers as I believe it is a great service for steel players as well as other amplified applications

Ray Walker

Curt Langston

Post  Posted 16 May 2011 2:05 pm    

Wow, that is a sweet looking cabinet!
Surprised

Bob Vantine

Freeville, New York, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2011 4:48 pm    

JACK......

First of all , agreed great looking cabinet .
Second , did you try the SICA with the MB200 ?

I purchased a new GK MB200 last month , but have not decided on a speaker as of yet . I don't do many bass gigs anymore , but would like to have this be my go to rig , if possible , for all instruments and do away with my collection of other amps for each instrument .

Thanks for your tests & sound clips .
Peavey Guitars

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 17 May 2011 2:04 am    

Yes, I've been using both the SICA and Eminence with the MB200. Both are very acceptable but the Eminence, for me, is a tad better.

Bob Vantine

Freeville, New York, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2011 1:43 pm    

thanks Jack .....

I agree on liking the Eminence better , but might want to play some bass also , so I need the best all around . Oh Well

Thanks again for doing such a fine job on the tests & sound clips Cool ..... saved a lot of us "time , $$$$ , and a lot of frustration" ......you are greatly appreciated . Smile
Peavey Guitars

Jerry Meek

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2011 12:00 pm     Eminence steel speaker

What is the cost compaired to the BW 1501SB

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 May 2011 12:15 pm    

The "street price" is around $150 for the 1501-4 with the standard magnet. According to what Mike Brown posted on another thread if you wanted the 1501-4 with the Neodymium magnet you would have to buy the parts separately; magnet (about $100) and the speaker assembly (about $80)

The pricing that Ken Fox got for the Eminence was the suggested list price was going to be around $219. If that holds, the "street" price will be around $180 to $200.

Ray Walker

Post  Posted 25 May 2011 9:52 am    

Jack Once again you are correct regarding the new Eminence. As a dealer for this new speaker I must, like all other dealers comply with the MAP rules (Manufacturers Advertised Price). Anyone wanting to order the speaker from me can simply call or e-mail for the pricing with no shipping costs.

Ray Walker
Walker Seats and Cases
rwalker5@nc.rr.com
919-524-1774

Steve Hotra

Camas, Washington
Post  Posted 25 May 2011 10:38 am    

Jack Stoner wrote:
I've got some sample clips of the Eminence (it was designated PS-15 for the prototypes), the 250 watt SICA speaker that Ken Fox sells and the stock Nashville 112 speaker.

I used the Nashville 112 amp, with the same settings for all three speakers, for comparison. There are also Eminence clips using a GK MB200 amp.

http://www.gulfcoaststeelguitar.com/sptest.htm

Here is pictures of the(temporary)speaker cabinet that I built for the Eminence. It is the same size as a Nashville 112 except 1" taller so it can accept the 15" speaker. I also made it the same size so I can use my Nashville 112 amp cover or the Danny Bently fiber cover.

Jack;
Thanks for recording the sound clips. I just bought a MB 200 and am thinking about a cab as well.
Amps: Mesa Express 5:25, Jazzkat Tomkat & Boss Katana head / various cabs.

Curt Langston

Post  Posted 25 May 2011 6:00 pm    

Jack says:
Quote:
I used them both last evening. There were two Pedal Steel guitar players and one laptop steel player in the audience. The general agreement is the Eminence is very clean and bright and to a point "too clean". The SICA is smoother but the lows (e.g. the bass C string on the C6th) is a little too much. I'm going to have to cut the low on the MB200 more and see how that works out.

I had our lead guitar player play through the MB200 with the Eminence with his Strat and he liked the sound - and this is from someone that "must have" a Fender Tube amp (his amp is a 60's model with two 12" Pyle Driver speakers).

Is this the speaker that is being sold as a steel speaker?
If so, the description calls it a bass speaker. I must be looking at the wrong one!
If so, maybe that's why the speaker "is a little too much" on the low end. I am not the expert, but it would seem like a speaker designed for bass, would lack the definition and string separation needed for the pedal steel.
I don't know though, you guys are the experts, but IMHO, I think this Eminence is going to be very popular!

I need to get a couple just to have around!

Surprised

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 26 May 2011 2:32 am    

That SICA speaker is the one that Ken Fox is selling for steel. Many "bass" speakers make good steel speakers. Evans used an Eminence 15" "bass" speaker in their SE-200 steel guitar amp at one time (may still be using it). The Peavey Session 500 and the early Nashville 400's used the 1502-4 Black Widow speaker which Peavey lists in their speaker brochure as a "bass" speaker.

Curt Langston

Post  Posted 26 May 2011 4:18 am    

Quote:
The Peavey Session 500 and the early Nashville 400's used the 1502-4 Black Widow speaker which Peavey lists in their speaker brochure as a "bass" speaker.

True, yet they stopped using bass speakers. Why is that?

I just got in the new Eminence speaker from UPS yesterday, so Im going to give it a try! I have access to a Sica Neo from a buddies bass cabinet and two matching Stereo Steel cabinets so I can AB them.

We'll see, of course everyone has their own "taste"

Surprised

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 26 May 2011 4:35 am    

According to Mike Brown, the paper cone model speaker (the 1501) was preferred over the 1502. The old JBL's that were very popular were paper cone.

That Eminence will have a "break in" period. When I first got it, I thought it had too much mids/highs but after it started to get "broken in" it mellowed out. After mentioning the break in to my contact at Eminence Engineering he has responded back that I was correct (actually for any new speaker) and they are going to address the break in period for speakers with an article on it.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2011 5:52 am    

People wanted a JBL type sound so the 1501-4SB was designed for that. The result was the Lemay mod, the Peavey mod in attempt tp get back the lost low end from that speaker!

A lot of history here for sure.

Ray Walker

Post  Posted 26 May 2011 7:53 am    

I want to clarify myself a bit more after talking with a friend who mentioned that it might sound like I was slamming the SICA a bit. PLEASE do not think that. I am very very happy with the SICA as it offers a difference in speakers that I like. I like the Eminence as well as I also like the Peavey. I am the type musician who can appreciate differences in equipment and like more than one. This is a good example of that. Hope this clears things up.

Ray Walker
Walker Seats and Cases

Curt Langston

Post  Posted 26 May 2011 8:40 am     verdict is in:

Well, after about 3 hours or so playing both the Sica and the Eminence, I have found there to be a vast difference. I pulled the BWs out of my cabs and loaded my friends new Neo Sica from his bass cab, and my new Eminence in the other. I just wanted to get a realistic feel for the difference in the two. To me, the difference was obvious. The Eminence has a much sweeter tone. Considering the fact that it is not yet broken in, I am well pleased with it!
The Sica was quite a bit darker in my opinion. I'll have to side with Paul F. on this: very little string separation. To me, the Sica was a bit muddy in the high mids. But as far as the low mids and the lows, the Sica sounded decent, and as well it should, considering that was designed for bass. Still the Sica was sterile sounding to me.
Overall, the Eminence has a much warmer tone with great string separation and definition! Fabulous sounding speaker, IMHO!

I'll be ordering another Eminence for sure.

If you get a chance to try this new speaker, do it. I bet you will be very happy with the tone!

Surprised

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2011 8:49 am    

I would advise 35-40 hours of break in time on any speaker before passing judgement.

A speaker is a speaker, period. Paper and parts. Delta Lite 2 and Kappa lights were also listed as speakers with multi purposes.

The test from Eminence revealed the difference is a bit more high end on the Eminence, period. Does it know it is a steel guitar, bass or guitar speaker. Depends on what you want to use a speaker for. Again both the Eminence and the SICA must be broken in to properly evaluate the differences.

Curt Langston

Post  Posted 26 May 2011 8:56 am    

Quote:
People wanted a JBL type sound so the 1501-4SB was designed for that. The result was the Lemay mod, the Peavey mod in attempt tp get back the lost low end from that speaker!

I always thought that the BWs had excellent low end. Clear low end.

Quote:
I would advise 35-40 hours of break in time on any speaker before passing judgement.

True! The Sica has been gigged about a month, so I knew it was broken in.

My point was: the Eminence to me sounded better even though it was not broken in yet. It will only get better as it softens up a bit.

The Sica just was not clean enough for my taste.

Curt Langston

Post  Posted 29 May 2011 8:12 am     Update

It has been a three solid days with the new Eminence EPS-15c.
WOW!......
This baby gets sweeter and sweeter the more I play it. I thought it sounded great right out of the box, but after playing through it a few days, man what a speaker!
Eminence has really done their homework on this, and it shows. They have listened and taken into consideration input from actual steel guitarists! I have it currently in a N400 with the new chips. The best way for me to descibe it is: warm, clear articulate separation, and sweet highs that do not pierce, and mids that are not honky. Not a drop of muddiness in this baby! This is the best steel guitar designed speaker to date, IMHO. This is what you have been looking for, trust me.
It is no wonder that folks are buying these up. They are excellent, and as side note, built in the USA !

Many thanks to the guys at Eminence for caring enough about us to design the ultimate steel speaker.

And thanks to Ray Walker for keeping us in supply!

Yeah!

Very Happy

Dave Morrison

Whbg Ohio Usa
Post  Posted 29 May 2011 5:42 pm    

I have installed the new EPS15in my LTD400 and I love it.I dont have all the engineering skills some of you have, but I do know what sounds good to my ear.Only way I know to describe it is SWEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!THANKS TOM.Dave Morrison

Curt Langston

Post  Posted 31 May 2011 11:34 am    

Dave, it will continue to get sweeter and sweeter. Eminence actually listened to the steel players input and designed a speaker just for us!

How cool is that!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 31 May 2011 2:13 pm    

Glad to hear you all are enjoying the new Eminence. I have settled on the Eminence prototype that I have as my main steel speaker with the MB200 amp. I was going to sell the SICA but my wife claimed the SICA to use with her rhythm guitar.