The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Peavey Steel Amp
KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 10 May 2011 10:14 am    

Has anyone heard anymore on what Peavey may be putting on the market in a new steel amp? There was a discussion here awhile back, but haven't heard anymore since. Very Happy

James Martin (U.K.)

Watford, Herts, United Kingdom * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 May 2011 10:24 am    

I don't think we need another amp, I find my 112 which I've gigged every weekend for six years is the perfect all-rounder. Perhaps a second channel would be acceptable - especially now I've got my fiddle repaired!

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2011 11:56 am    

Most products have a life cycle assigned to them. That's why the Nasville 400 among others are out of production. With the new technology that's available since the NV112's design, it's quite possible that a new and improved design could be in the works to help stimulate sales. Just a thought from the perspective of a different kind of equipment manufacturer.

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 10 May 2011 12:44 pm    

Bring back the Session 500 Very Happy Very Happy

Steven Pearce

Port Orchard Washington, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2011 4:28 pm    

Its a 'new' Peavey Nashville 112 Steel Guitar amp
http://www.peavey.com/products/instAmplifiers/specialamps/nashville/index.cfm/item/104983/Nashville%20112.html

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2011 5:21 pm    

Maybe the availability of super low cost amps like the Gallien-Krueger MB200 200W Ultra Light have killed the interest in combo amps. Now you can mix and match your amp with different neodymium speaker cabs. Roll your own super lite combo or split them for ridiculously low separate weights. There's also a ton of used Nash 400's available for low prices as well as many other brands and models if one wants a higher end product like the Evans, Webb, Fox, Fender tube etc.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 10 May 2011 5:27 pm    

richard burton wrote:
Bring back the Session 500 Very Happy Very Happy

I would, if only I could carry it... Wink

Jim Thompson

Washington, Pa. USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2011 7:00 pm    

I personally like my Session 2000. I wish they would have continued making them. Best amp I ever owned.

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 12 May 2011 12:39 pm    

The Nashville 400 has been a mainstay for me. After having the amps modded by Ken Fox, and Burr Brown chips installed, I have yet to find an amp that can replace this workhorse for the money. I like the NV112, but not for large stage venues..80 watts just wasnt enough for me...JMHO!>
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 May 2011 11:49 am    

all anybody needs is a nash400...if you can't get by with one of these, it's because you can't really play that well and need practice. now i understand this may upset lots of people that want to waste lots more money on something less appropriate, but....

...and even with no mods these will cut any venue.

session 400 and ltd 400..earlier versions that are also capable amps...and if you can't carry one you're either very weak or not smart enough to get a small handtruck.

Curt Langston

Post  Posted 15 May 2011 12:05 pm    

Quote:
The Nashville 400 has been a mainstay for me. After having the amps modded by Ken Fox, and Burr Brown chips installed, I have yet to find an amp that can replace this workhorse for the money. I like the NV112, but not for large stage venues..80 watts just wasnt enough for me...JMHO!>

Quote:
all anybody needs is a nash400...if you can't get by with one of these, it's because you can't really play that well and need practice. now i understand this may upset lots of people that want to waste lots more money on something less appropriate, but....

...and even with no mods these will cut any venue.

session 400 and ltd 400..earlier versions that are also capable amps...and if you can't carry one you're either very weak or not smart enough to get a small handtruck.

Well said gentlemen.

Well said!

Ronald Sikes

Corsicana, Tx
Post  Posted 15 May 2011 12:10 pm    

I agree Jim. The Session 2000 is a great amp. I had one I bought new and kept it for 5 yrs. I did have a couple of minor problems with it and had to send it back to Peavey. They ALWAYS did a quick turnaround on the repair which didn't cost me. I commend Peavey the way they stand behind all of their products.
However , I loved my 2000 , I just got a little leary taking it out on a job. It had some nice features. I'm using a TransTubeFex now , close as you can get to a 2000.
Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 15 May 2011 3:17 pm    

Long live the Session 400!

Right, Brad? Smile

bob

Jay Ganz

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 15 May 2011 4:35 pm    

Greg Cutshaw wrote:
Maybe the availability of super low cost amps like the Gallien-Krueger MB200 200W Ultra Light have killed the interest in combo amps.
Now you can mix and match your amp with different neodymium speaker cabs. Greg

You said it. For the same price as an MB200 I've got an 800 watt (rms into 8 ohms) power amp module that only weighs 2 lbs.
So the amp, 15" speaker and cabinet only totals 24 lbs!

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2011 7:32 pm    

Bob Snelgrove wrote:
Long live the Session 400!

Right, Brad? Smile

bob

Right!... for those whose spines don't mind. My spine unfortunately doesn't allow me to use (lift) combo amps anymore. The Session 400 will always remain a special and beautiful sounding transistor amp, along with its more compact little brother the LTD 400. You just can't replace all-discrete (no opamps) transistor amps like that. And the Peaveys of this era were very rugged and well built, and easily serviced too. That direct and natural sound will always have a place in the steel amp world.

Brad

Tommy Alexander

Friendswood, Texas 77546
Post  Posted 16 May 2011 2:57 am     Nv 400

A couple of years ago, I talked with a Peavy rep and asked, "why don't Peavy build a steel amp as a NV400, with a delay built into it??"
His answer was, "with the NV112, this was a new concept in a amp for the steel player; Peavy actually concentrates on sound systems and bigger things!".
Can you imagine a NV400 with a built in delay and maybe a better 15" speaker??
There was some conversation about this as the Dallas show this year. Maybe someone from Peavy show listen to the outcry of what the players are looking for...

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 16 May 2011 3:54 am    

I am in agreement with Greg concerning the 'GK MB200'. Not only is the amp ultra light, powerful, and sound great it allows much more in the way of portability. With gasoline prices being what they are, this I feel to be a major consideration. I drive a Nissan Versa sedan (38 MPG) and my pac seat, a speaker cab containing a 12" BW, the MB200 amp, and my guitar fit neatly in the trunk (which certainly would not be possible with the Nashville 400).

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 16 May 2011 3:54 am    

I kept a NV112 to use as one of two powered cabs with a Revelation preamp. For me it doesn't compare to its partner, a TC Furlong CB12 SPLIT but I can't afford to have two of those. Also, I wouldn't want to be without a combo since there are times when you don't want to take a rackmount setup. I like the sound of the NV112 but I'm always worrying about bumping the front panel and breaking off a pot shaft. When you have to ship your gear long distances for repair that becomes a major issue. If Peavey does develop a new steel amp hopefully they'll address that thorn in the side. And of course the new standard is big power in small, lightweight packages so they'll need to do some work there too.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 16 May 2011 7:03 am    

uhmmm interesting..

Session 400
Session 500
LTD
Nashville 400
Ltd 400
Nashville 1000
Nashville 2000
Nashville 112
Evans
Webb
Fender Steel King
Twin Reverbs
Music man
GK's ( MB200)
Standel
Fox
Little Walter
Walker stereo
etc

Maybe it is time for Peavey to finally make the ultimate Steel Guitar amp ! But then, what speaker would we want ?

And of course, not long after the release of the new Ultimate Steel guitar amp, someone will make the IMPROVED Ultimate Steel guitar amp Confused

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

James Yoder

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2011 7:35 am     amps

I play through a Nashville 1000. I wanted a small amp for my stage for set in guitarists so I bought a Line 6, Spider 3, 30 watts. One day fooling around I hooked up that Line 6. Much to my surprise it sounded great. So now on my small road gigs I play through it. It weights only 25 pounds. There are other light weighting amps out there that will do the job. I think Line 6 has a lot of the newest in electronics.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 May 2011 9:26 am    

then of course , with your new improved ultimate steel amp, you'll need to get the custom max super special mod.

then when you find you don't like that you'll need to go through the small but expensive 'magic sounds right' clip on box.

James Yoder

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2011 9:36 am     amp & speaker

if your playing through the MB200 amp & using a 12" Black Widow what do you use for a cabinet?

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 17 May 2011 2:30 am    

chris ivey wrote:

then when you find you don't like that you'll need to go through the small but expensive 'magic sounds right' clip on box.

And of course we all know that the "magic sounds right" clip on box will make any amp sound like a stock Nashville 400 with a BW 1502.

In all seriousness, we read amp threads all the time and I think the amps offered for Steel guitar players are excellent, of course some better than others but for a bandstand guy or gal we have great choices.

The one thing that always makes me scratch my head is we have threads here where people are stating they keep strings on the guitars for as long as a year, then in the amp thread some of the same folks are chasing quality tone. I guess I am saying that each of the amps listed above offer quality consistent tone but if your strings are old and you are chasing tone..well..that would be a good place to start rather than changing amps.

Now that being said, I am curious about the Little Walter , Fox and the small MB200, those appear to be something different. 200 watts @ 2 pounds seems pretty fascinating !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2011 6:12 pm     New Peavey Steel Amp

I will speak for Peavey Electronics here.............
I feel confident that Hartley appreciates your support of our steel guitar products through the years. I've said many many times before that our marketing and engineering groups are constantly looking for "new" ideas. We've got the technology and capability to design any product that we wish, however, to be "real" the steel guitar community is small and shrinking. So, it is an economical decision as much as anything else.

However, we do offer the neo BW speakers and the new IPR 8 pound power amplifiers.

Plus, I'm still here to offer my assistance on a daily basis.

Curt Langston

Post  Posted 18 May 2011 8:17 am    

Quote:
I will speak for Peavey Electronics here.............
I feel confident that Hartley appreciates your support of our steel guitar products through the years. I've said many many times before that our marketing and engineering groups are constantly looking for "new" ideas. We've got the technology and capability to design any product that we wish, however, to be "real" the steel guitar community is small and shrinking. So, it is an economical decision as much as anything else.

However, we do offer the neo BW speakers and the new IPR 8 pound power amplifiers.

Plus, I'm still here to offer my assistance on a daily basis.

The fact that the steel community is shrinking is a sobering truth. We should do all we can to promote the instrument. Can you imagine where we might be had b0b not started this forum?.......

I can't blame Peavey for not spending oodles of money on R&D for steel amps.

The market is too small for any profit to be made.

I would hang on to any N400s or other older steel amps by Peavey. Just because they do not make them anymore does not mean they cannot service them. They last a long, long time.

Thanks to Peavey for continuing to make a fine steel guitar speaker!

Surprised