The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  B Pedal - 6th String MSA XL Legend problem.
Barry Yasika

Bethlehem, Pa.
Post  Posted 2 May 2024 5:45 pm    

I've been having a little trouble with an MSA D-10 XL Legend. Sometimes I can hear the 6th Sting staying just a little flat, particularly when I rock off the A Pedal, while holding the b pedal down and more noticeably if I use the LKR knee lever to lower the E string holding the B pedal down. It feels like the pedal is all the way down but when I apply a little more pressure on the pedal, I don't feel it move so much as I hear the pitch change. I found the adjustable screw that increases or decreases the pedal travel on the very edge of the rod lever and figured that was the problem. I pushed the lever well under the screw to make sure it was not slipping off the edge a little and that helped a lot. I also tried different pedal heights but the problem hasn't gone completely away. I even loosened the spring tension on the changer finger. Then I tried a lower hole on the bell crank for that string to give the pedal a bit more travel. At this point I don't know if it's me, my foot or the guitar. I thought it was just something I would get used to but I never seem to really solve the problem in a way I can forget all about it.

I figured I might as well throw this up on the forum. You never know who might have had a similar problem and found something I haven't thought of just yet. At this point it's more of a nuisance than a serious problem. If I stay aware of the problem and concentrate on keeping a strong pressure on the pedal I usually don't have the problem. Be nice to forget about it though. So..thoughts appreciated!!!

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2024 8:29 pm    

From what you describe, Check the shoes you are wearing, Some shoes between soft outer sole and foam foot pad inside. You cannot actually feel how much pressure you are holding on the pedal.
Foot/Pedal contact pressure and feel is very important, When rocking on and off of an adjacent pedal. Or holding a pedal down, And engaging a knee lever at same time.

Some steelers play in Moccasins, Sock feet, Bare feet or hard thin sole cowboy boots, So they can feel the pedals.

Making mechanical changes to off set an unknown, Can lead to other problems.
What spring are you talking about? Loosening a Lower Return Spring can cause other problems, The spring should have been adjusted proper when the guitar was set up.

Good Luck finding the cause and cure, Happy Steelin

John Hyland

South Australia
Post  Posted 2 May 2024 11:38 pm    

Possibly some movement at the pedal stop which you alluded to. Check the screw is solidly mounted with its lock nut and where screw bracket is fixed.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 3 May 2024 12:45 am    

Make sure the BELLCRANK for the 6th string rod is secure. Also be sure the Pedal Rod Stop is secure. Our Instruments PITCH is based on everything being SNUG, Tight, everytime we press a Pedal or use a Knee lever. There is ZERO room for error( movement )

Not long ago I had a similar issue with my Emmons LG-II , turned out to be an ever so slight movement of a bellcrank on the cross shaft. Even watching the pull was very difficult to notice the slight movement.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 3 May 2024 1:24 am    

Barry, why not contact MSA, know Mitchell is off having had shoulder surgery, but a Kyle, Scott or Johnny should be able to advise.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 3 May 2024 9:09 am    

I have experienced a tuning discrepancy myself on my legend and tried all kinds of adjustments only to settle on changing the gauge from 020 to 022 plain and because I only lower it with a Franklin pedal or raise it with the B pedal it not only stays in tune it’s a better tone!… it works for me!

John Hyland

South Australia
Post  Posted 3 May 2024 12:56 pm    

Tony Prior wrote:

Not long ago I had a similar issue with my Emmons LG-II , turned out to be an ever so slight movement of a bellcrank on the cross shaft. Even watching the pull was very difficult to notice the slight movement.

Just my understanding but wouldn’t movement at the bellcrank detune not raise

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 5 May 2024 10:49 am    

John Hyland wrote:
Tony Prior wrote:

the op said its returning flat.

John Hyland

South Australia
Post  Posted 5 May 2024 1:03 pm    

Tony Prior wrote:
John Hyland wrote:
Tony Prior wrote:

the op said it’s returning flat.

True, The op does say that but also it continues to raise on pedal pressure. Something has to be loose or cracked.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 6 May 2024 1:10 am    

John Hyland wrote:

True, The op does say that but also it continues to raise on pedal pressure. Something has to be loose or cracked.

yep , inconsistent. I would start at the bellcrank , inspect it, pull the set screw , re-set its position, make sure there is no BURR on the cross shaft and use a new set screw. Certainly it can be another issue but doing this , which takes 5 min , eliminates that part of the PULL system.

years back my Sho Bud with the crummy pot metal parts had a hairline cracked bellcrank which was causing really weird stuff ! Sometimes no pitch issue, sometimes a minor pitch issue and sometimes a larger pitch issue. All from the same hairline crack.