The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bill Simmons - Gone Home
Rick Simmons

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2011 3:40 pm    

In loving memory of our son, Bill Simmons.
On April 12/09, Our hearts are filled with memories. We treasure them with care. The way you had to leave us , will always seem unfair. Sad are the hearts that love you, silent the tears that fall. Living our lives with out you is the hardest part of all. In all that life has given us & all that's left to do, We will never have a greater gift than the time we spent with you.
Ever remembered by Mother,Lil, Father,Rick & Sister Darleen.

Bruce Snow

Neustadt, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2011 6:37 am    

GoodMorning Rick & Lil, Our thoughts & prayers are with you today on this anniversary of Bills passing. He was a shining light to all through his christian walk & through his music but God saw fit to take him home & only He knows why.
But we have hope that one day we shall see him again. Blessings to you all.

Bruce & Kathy

Pat Coyne

Gallatin
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2011 1:00 pm    

One of Bill's favorite sayings that I think of often: "How do you eat an elephant?....one bite at a time" What a big part of our lives he was and is.

Pat Coyne

Gallatin
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2011 1:00 pm    

I had a touching moment a few weeks ago, was going through Dallas and had a few extra minutes so i took the truck over to Shayne's (bill's son) to say hello and grab a quick bite together. They have a big dog that was looking inside and "woofing" wanting to join us. I was sitting next to Braydon and said "listen to that dog he's barking ....braaaaydon" he looked up to me with big eyes, smiling and said "my grandpa used to say that"...then he looked down and said "i sure miss him" i just said we all do, but he would be so glad we are all still together....i waited til i got in the truck to shed a few tears. He is deeply missed.

Last edited by Pat Coyne on 12 Apr 2011 5:26 pm; edited 2 times in total

Bryan Knox

Gardendale, Alabama...Ya'll come
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2011 3:09 pm    

Rick and Lil,

My mind was on Bill and you all a couple of days ago and now I realize why. The date didn't even occur to me.

We love you guys and pray for God's continued healing on your hearts.

B

ps...I am so sorry I did not get to see you guys when you were down here.

1976 MSA D-10 8+4, Mullen D10 8+4, G&L Skyhawk, Fender '52RI Telecaster, Eastman MD 615 lefty mandolin, Fender DPC750 w/Tubefex, Custom Twin Tweed Cabs w/ Peavey 1504's, 70's Fender Super Reverb, Martin D28-L.

Rick Simmons

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2011 10:18 am     Our thanks

Just a word of thanks to all who have shared in Bill's memory. You are all so precious.
Sincerely, Rick & LIl Simmons.

Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2011 5:37 pm    

Rick and Lil,
Bill is still very much alive in our hearts. God bless you both always . . .
Donna
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com

Rick Simmons

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2011 12:05 pm     Thanks Donna Dodd

Appreciate your kind reply on our son,Bill & the effort you put into the Forum.
Blessings on you & Tommy, another fine Steel Player.
Rick & Lil Simmons

Al Vesel

Chisholm, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2011 10:15 pm     Missing Bill

I surely miss our phone conversations. They'd go on and on and before you know it an hour or two had passed.

I met Bill in northern Minnesota when he was playing pedal steel for The Lundstroms. That was way back in 1973. He surely was a fine Christian and a great steel player.

I surely miss him a lot and think of Bill all the time.

Al
Emmons LeGrande SKH D-10 - WALKER STEREO STEEL AMP w JBL ENCLOSURES & TC ELECTRONICS M-ONE XL PROCESSOR, HILTON VP,FURMAN POWER CONDITIONER, SARNO's Steel Guitar BLACK BOX,BJS,ToneMaster bars,FENDER Strat, FENDER & Ovation acoustic's

Jack Shults

Canadian, Oklahoma U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2011 12:54 pm    

I surely do miss Bill too. We had become great friends over the years, and had some good times together in each other's homes.

I think of him every day when I go to my music room and see all the things that I bought from him and the things that we had traded. I keep a picture of him out and look at it often and reflect on the good times we had together.

Jack

Louie Hallford

denison tx
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2011 7:43 am    

As usual I am a day late and a dollar short,but not too late to say thanks for bringing back the memories of a super gentleman and Brother.

I miss the jams we did with Leland Green,Rev Wayne Smith and others. It was time to rotate the jam to my house at the time Bill back East. The group never got back together after he moved,except Leland, Rev Wayne and I played a few trio things at some area churches. With me trying to play bass,you can easily imagine,that didn't last long.

Still hard to think of him being gone so early in life. I will always remember him and his kindness to all who were around him,strangers included. A real Christian.

Darleen Simmons Brauen

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2012 5:56 pm     Missing Bill Simmons

Its still hard to believe that my brother is not with us. I miss him so much and still find it extremely hard to look at his photo's or to read anything about him.
I'm not sure the hurt will ever go away, my heart literally hurts when I think of him, which is many times through out the day. So many times I want to call him just to tell him I love him or let him know what's new in our lives or ask his opinion of things that brothers and sister would talk about.
I am so glad that our mom and dad are with me and are healthy. They are real troopers. I visited Bill's older son and his family this past summer, Jason is so much like Bill that I felt comforted.
Thank you to all those who still keep in touch with my mom and dad it means a lot to them. Love you all
Bill's Sister Darleen Simmons Brauen

Darleen Simmons Brauen

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2012 6:06 pm     Bill Simmons / Connie L

For those of you who knew my brother Bill when he was with the Lundstroms I thought I would let you know that Connie Lundstrom recently was taken to heaven after her illness. She will be with Bill right now. Connie talked to my mom almost every day and up to the last night before her leaving us Connie was amazing, especially with her love for the Lord. I always admired her for that, Connie and Lowell had a great impact on my walk with the Lord. My parents gave their hearts to the Lord at one of their services many many years ago, Bill and I were blessed to be raised in a Christian home and we never looked back. Our God is good, great expample Billy and Connie, can't wait to see you. Love Darleen
Bill's sister

Al Vesel

Chisholm, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2012 6:56 pm     Bill Simmons/Connie Lundstrom

So sorry to hear of Connie's passing. As I stated prior, that is how I met Bill was thru the Lundstroms'. In was in the early 70's and the Lundstom's Ministry Team were Hibbing, Minnesota. I had seen the Lundstrom's before, but they never had a pedal steel player before when they were here. I seen Bill play that night and even though I dabbled in pedal steel some, he gave me a added love for the instrument and more of a desire to learn more and play more.

I am sure that Connie and Bill are catching up on old times in heaven. God Bless Lowell and his family during this time of sadness. And as always, I continually miss Bill and the talks we had on the phone many times.

Al Vesel
Emmons LeGrande SKH D-10 - WALKER STEREO STEEL AMP w JBL ENCLOSURES & TC ELECTRONICS M-ONE XL PROCESSOR, HILTON VP,FURMAN POWER CONDITIONER, SARNO's Steel Guitar BLACK BOX,BJS,ToneMaster bars,FENDER Strat, FENDER & Ovation acoustic's

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2012 9:58 am    

Darlene, on occasion I visit the Celebration Church and have enjoyed the Country Christmas production they put on each year. It is only 8 miles from my house in Lakeville. Lowell & Connie served the Lord for many years, I recall them visiting our church in South St Paul, First Calvary Baptist as part of their evangelist ministry when they travelled by bus several times.

I had spoken several times with Bill before his passing about steel guitars and faith. He was wanting to buy a SuperPro at the time and knew I was a Sho~Bud guy!

"Oh what a Savior" and many others are certain to have been sung already by Bill, Connie & that heavenly band Smile

Darleen Simmons Brauen

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2012 12:37 pm    

It's hard to believe that it will be 3 yrs tommorow that my dear brother passed away. As I said before what wonderful, wonderful friends Bill had. His friends still call mom and dad and visa versa. Mom and dad are still having a tough time with Billie gone, some days are better then others. I know that your e-mails and calls encourages them. I know that Billie (as only a sis could call her brother) is in a better place then any of us. I believe with all my heart we will see him in heaven. Billies heart was for everyone to accept the Lord into their hearts, love Him and live for Him. I thank everyone who still writes about their wonderful memories in the forum about Billie.
Just a quick story about Billie and I as kids. We had to share a bedroom when we were kids for a year. We had bunk beds, Billie would play his guitar in bed until all hours of the night and I would yell at him and tell him to stop playing the guitar you'll never be good at it anyhow. For those of you who knew the musical genius he was (bragging on him)I always said that Billie wanted to prove me wrong and became the success he was in his music. So Billie I really was encouraging you. ha
I miss him so very very much! I wish every day that I could still listen to him playing his guitar.
Love from Darleen Simmons Brauen "Forever Bill's Sister"

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2012 1:23 pm    

There have been several times Bill comes across my mind. He was such a joy to be around and visit with. No dobut he was a fantastic steel player as well. I know you guys surely miss him tremendously.

Rick Simmons

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2012 5:47 pm     Bill Simmons Remembered

Bill,Gone are the days we used to share,but in our hearts you are always there. For with tender love & deep regret, we who love you will never forget.Yes the gates of memory will never close,for we miss you more than any one knows.

Mother,(LIL) Dad (Rick) & Sister Darleen.

Bob Simmons

Trafford, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2012 7:54 pm     gotta chime in !

got my buddies' picture here in my shop, we were best friends from our first phone call and jam session. Rick and Lil hope to see you again soon. One of those tornatoes took our Sat family dance but we're rebuilt and going strong again- plan on coming and bring your guitar love you all, brother Bob

Jerry Humphries

Jasper, AL.
Post  Posted 7 May 2012 8:43 pm     Bill Simmons remembered

Bill I think played his last public performance at my church. He gave an excellent testimony. The bishop was in fine form musically as well as speaking memorably about our lord. Not a day goes by that i don't think about Bill or my grandsons who are there with him. Im still playing the emmons legrande 11 that i bought from him 6 yrs. ago this month. So i am reminded of him daily. Rick, Lil, and Darlene i hope you all are doing ok. I will keep you in my prayers. Jerry

Darleen Simmons Brauen

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2013 3:18 pm     Bill Simmons passed 4 yrs ago

This is from Bill's mom and dad Rick and Lil Simmons

Bill, so unique,so loved, so very missed.
Wishing today as we've wished before, that God could have spared you many years more. In our hearts your memory is kept, to love, to cherish and to never forget. Time may hide the sadness , like the smiles that hide the tears. But the treasured memories never fade despite the passing years. We still miss you and we still love you. love mom and dad

Billie, I miss you more than anyone will ever know. I miss our talks and I miss our laughs. My heart is still very heavy missing you. Of course this time of year is the hardest. Love to all of your friends who still keep in contact with us all love your sis Darleen Simmons Brauen
mom dad and I miss Lowell and Connie too, its been a tough few years. Love to Lowell and Connies family.

Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2013 7:32 am    

I remember the first time I had the opportunity to make contact with Bill. It was when he was preparing to make the move from Texas to B'ham. We became instant friends and I miss him very much.

Larry Hicks

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2013 2:41 pm    

I just happened across this post . . .

Bill and I were good friends from the first sentence. I was lucky enough to share the stage with him several times. The rascal could play the devil out of ANYthing he leaned up against.
He had the uncanny ability to play down to the level that most of us folks are on, but he could turn it "on" with the best!
I don't know if I miss picking with him or talking to him the most. Never heard ONE cross word out of his mouth.
Miss you bud!
Larry

Rick Simmons

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2013 1:10 pm     Rick Simmons

Dear Mr.Hicks:
Noticed your kind words re: our son Bill. Thank you for remembering him. Yes he was all that you shared about him. Blessings on all the Steel Guitar folks for maintaining the Forum.
Rick & Lil Simmons( Bill's Mom & Dad).

Darleen Simmons Brauen

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2016 12:51 pm     Bill Simmons

It broke our hearts to lose you
But you did not go alone
A part of us went with you
The day God took you home
If tears could build a stairway,
And heartaches make a lane,
We'd walk our way to heaven
And take you home again