The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Delay Pedal before Hilton Pedal?
David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2011 8:23 pm    

I've always run my Guyatone delay between my Hilton and amp. A well known local player runs his delay between his guitar and Hilton. I tried the same and found it's sounds a bit brighter on the tone and the EQ needs adjusting on the Evans. But I have to say, it's growing on me! Any negatives or positives with this option?
Thanks,
Dave

Last edited by David Higginbotham on 23 May 2011 5:21 am; edited 2 times in total

Tim Marcus

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 22 May 2011 11:03 pm    

Only negative I can see is that if you have the delay pedal before the volume pedal, you kill your delays when you move the pedal. I like to feed my swells into the delay and let them delay off while I set up for another one. Same reason I send delay into reverb as opposed to vice versa. These effects are meant to have tails - you might be stepping on those if you have them too early in your signal path.
Milkman Sound on Twitter

Gianni Gori

Livorno, Italy
Post  Posted 23 May 2011 12:14 am    

I do agree with Tim.
I like even better to plug delay (and extrernal reverb sometimes) in the effects loop of the amp, between its preamp and power amp sections.

Zum D-10 9x8, MSA S-10 4x5, Quilter Steelaire combo, Peavey Nashville 112 (w/Ken Fox mod & Jensen Neo), Hilton volume pedals, Sarno Tonic Preamp, Lexicon MPX-1

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 23 May 2011 1:56 pm    

What Tim said.

The reason for addng delay and/or reverb to the dry sound of the guitar is to impart a perceived ambient spatial environment to the listener. Putting the VP after the delay completely destroys this mental understanding and jerks the ear around every time you pull the pedal back, as the resulting effect is abrupt and artificial. Very bad juju IMHO!

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 23 May 2011 5:58 pm    

If you use delay for a rhythmic effect, like Witches Brew or the tune below off my most recent CD
click here for a short sample
when you hit the last note it will delay. If you want to cut that delay off, you MUST have the delay before the vol pedal OR have a separate switch that kills the delay.

In any case, that's one reason to have it b4 the vp. If your friend uses the old 'echoplex trick' that may be why he puts it there.

David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2011 7:31 pm    

Well my interest was short lived. After playing around with the change I went back to my original setup. The delay before the Hilton changes the tone too much for my liking. I don't use much delay and only set it at one repeat so it isn't too much of a difference in that aspect.

The player I was referring to is Richard Comeaux that puts his delay before his volume pedal. Had the chance to see him play over the weekend and he is nothing short of phenomenal!!!!

Thanks for the responses...
Dave

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 24 May 2011 7:53 am    

I always run the VP last, but I adjust my pedal so it does not turn OFF, ever. I run an effects rack with many effects at my fingertips and many like compressors and distortion need to run before the VP so that means everything in rack comes first.

That said when I use individual effects I still want to amplify the total result of my effects settings using my pedal. In the live setting I do not think anyone out there can really hear a "Tail", most times they can not hear the steel very well in the mix. That is unless Dave is running sound and then stand back, you know the steel will be singing in the mix.

Larry Behm

Phone: 971-219-8533