The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  New Emmons Style Courses
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2011 10:28 am    

After many student requests for specifically Emmons style lessons, the first in the series takes a great live track from 1977, included on the course, with Buddy at the top of his game playing the beautiful ballad "Broken Down In Tiny Pieces", and tears it apart phrase by phrase in the "talk tape" format explaining every lick in great detail, along with alternate approaches, other ways and places to use the licks, explanation of the scale tones against chord changes, etc.

A really great tune for beginner to intermediate players as it's fairly easy to play, but still loaded with nuances and ideas that will challenge and interest even more advanced players. Loads of great ideas here to put into all the other songs you're playing, and some real insights into Buddy's wonderful style.

No tablature needed, every note and phrase completely explained in a full hour of instruction. Nice clean recording you can actually hear! Large thanks to forumite Mike Ihde for granting permission to use the track from his great CD "Buddy Emmons Live in Boston July 1977".

Just the first in a series on Emmons style. $20 shipped. Use forum email, or visit my website: http://www.markvanallen.com/store_books.html

Ray Thomas

Goldsboro North Carolina
Post  Posted 16 May 2011 7:20 am    

Mark, got my copy, it is very good, easy to follow however being on the lower end of an intermediate player it will take some time for me to learn it. One thing, there has got to be a backing track somewhere, do you know of a source anywhere, I have already checked with Billy Cooper, he and Buddy Charton played it but he does not have a track. Thanks again for a good job.