The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Kay Guitar and Amp
Walter Hamlin

Talladega, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2011 6:14 am    

Don't know where else to put this but here goes. I may be able to purchase a Kay guitar and Kay amp at an estate sale this weekend if the price is right. The guitar is black/white pebble grain and looks similiar to the ones that came in an amp/case. The amp looks like one I had in the early sixties. Brown tweed. Haven't plugged it up yet to check them. Should I purchase them I may be interested in selling if they are worth it or I might just keep them, sit them around and let my wife tell me to move them.
Any ideas or comments would be welcome and appreciated.

Jim Saunders

Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2011 6:21 am     Kay Guitar

Walter, the ones Sears sold, Silvertone I believe, had a small solid body guitar, with the chipboard case and the small amp built into the case lid. I've saw one not long ago go for about $800.00. I have no idea though what the Kay is worth. It's more sentimental (collectors) value.

John Kally

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2011 11:10 am     Kay Guitar and amp

Hi,
If it's possible to get pictures of these (off of a cellphone, even), it would help. Kay didn't make the amp-in-case Silvertones, those were Danelectro-made. So, if it says Kay on it, it's a different animal. As for a "brown tweed amp", not really enough info to go by. Tweed Fender or Brown Fender, worth some money, maybe a lot. Other makers, not necessarily. Details would help. Good luck!

Robert Mayo

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2011 1:47 pm    

I am always interested in cool gear,post pictures.

Walter Hamlin

Talladega, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2011 4:15 pm     Kay Guitar and Amp

Will have to wait til the sale is finished sometime this weekend before I can make pictures. I told the person in charge what I would give for the outfit should they not sell it for the asking price during the hours of the estate sale.
The guitar looks like something Danelectro could have made. The head is wide at the top with a large Kay emblem. I could not see the amp well because of the location it was in. I had a Kay amp in the early sixties about 1963 I think, and it looked like it.
Will try to post pictures as soon as possible IF, IF I get to buy it.

John Kally

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2011 10:57 am     Kay Guitar and amp

Hi, Kay made their own stuff (until the brand name was sold off, and taken over by other companies with Asian producers,more than once. There is a reissue Kay series that's out now) so it's not a Danelectro. Could still be cool, but not worth putting too much into unless it's one of the fancy models and those were pretty much done by the early 60s. Kay amps are never worth much, at least I've never seen one go for much. So if they were asking very much for the set just as well if you don't get it. But it's always kind of fun when stuff like that comes up for sale.

Walter Hamlin

Talladega, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2011 3:02 pm     Kay Guitar and Amp

The outfit sold first thing in the morning for the asking price and about noon the same person came back and bought the old Silvertone lap steel and amp too.