The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Double neck, resonator lap steel
Kenny Kitching

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2011 7:05 pm    

This is a double neck resonator - lap steel. I made the necks for it some years ago and a friend of mine Ray Marshall, who lives nearby (Wollongong, Australia) made the body.
We think that it may be the first double neck resonator guitar in the world. I could be corrected on that though. If anyone knows of one similar, please me know.
Comments welcome.

Further information on my 3 bed pedal steel guitar: It's a Perina, made by Peter Williams of Toowoomba Qld Australia. It has 2 10s An E9 and C6 tunings. The extra 8 string Hawaiian neck with E7 tuning, combined with C#min7. It was made by Noel Anstead (Anapeg)
Cheers, Kenny K.
PS
I'll be at the Brisbane Steel Guitar Convention in June this year,

Bill Fisher

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2011 10:01 pm    

Nice, and unusual. Real nice to have you on the forum, Mr. Kitching.

Bill

Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2011 11:20 pm    

Hey Kenny,
That looks great!
I`ve seen a pic of a double neck reso with the necks on opposite sides of the instrument, obviously for standup playing only. It may have been in the Stacy Phillips dobro book, Oak pubications.
This is the first conventional double for me.

Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2011 11:24 pm    

Well this a coincidence !
Here is one for sale on eBay !

http://tinyurl.com/5sab8dy

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2011 11:56 pm    

Hi Kenny - looks awesome mate, I look forward to hearing you play it at Brissie in June !!

Welcome to the forum too.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Nick ONeill

Post  Posted 13 Mar 2011 1:46 am    

Welcome to the Forum Kenny. We are all looking forward to hearing you at Brisbane this year. I do hope you play some tunes on this beautiful looking guitar too ..... Nick
Mullen SD10G2 4x5 (Black), Carter S-10 3x5, Peavey Session 400, Peavey Nashville 112, Fender MS80, Boss DD3, Goodrich and Telonics volume pedals, Alesis QuadraVerb, Fender Strats x2, Fender Nashville Power Tele, Takamine NP-15C, Boss TU-12, Peterson VS-11, Strobo-flip and strobo-clip tuners, D2Fcovers,seat,legs, amps,guitars.

Tomi Graso

Sydney / Australia
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2011 1:59 am    

Welcome Kenny , it was so nice to catch up with you last Thursday night at the Canterbury Country show.
Wow ...your double neck resonator guitar is definitely one of a kind - special! Really enjoyed your playing on the night , it sounded amazing...
You got such beautiful touch and tone ! No wonder Mr. DeWitt Scotty is calling you "Mr Velvet touch".
You are a unique player that we can all identify with a specific style and a lovely playing touch and filled with so much emotion Kenny ! And being playing since 1950's - true pioneer of the instrument and an Ambasador for the Australian Steel Guitar Association ! We can all look up to you and must say that i am extremely proud to call you a dear friend !!! God Bless you Kenny !

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2011 3:36 am    

I've been looking at getting an 8 string dobro and agonizing over which of 2 tunings to use. Looks like you wouldn't have that problem! Can you tell us what tunings you have on your double neck dobro?

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Tony Davis

Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2011 4:08 am    

Nice Kenny..Nice
Can I have your old one....you wont be needing it now!!
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Tony

Bob Alloway

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2011 4:25 am     Twin neck dobro

G'day Ken,welcome to the forum.Correct me if I'm wrong but they look like the necks you showed me under your house at Nerang years ago.Beautiful job mate,we look forward to seeing you in Brisbane.

Edward Meisse

Santa Rosa, California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2011 10:35 am    

The question I've always had about these is, what keeps the strings on the other neck from vibrating sympathetically with those on the neck in play?

John DeBoalt

Harrisville New York USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2011 12:39 pm    

Did you design, and machine a spider with 2 bridge insert slots? Is the center of the spider cut with a modified piece welded in? Was the spider cast with a new mold that would let you mass produce them if you wanted to? Just curious? Also is there some kind of damping for the alternate neck when the guitar is being played played, or doesn't it matter? John
Wechter Scheernhorn Reso, Deneve Reso, Fender Jazzmaster, Martin D16, Walker Stereo Steel amp, TC Electronics M One effects unit, JBL 15" speaker cabs,Peavey Nashville 1000,Peavey Revoloution 112, Morrell Lap Steel, Boss DD3 delay,others

Brendan Mitchell

Melbourne Australia
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2011 12:24 am    

Just a little heads up for our American friends , Kenny Kitching has been the "foremost steel guitar player" in Australia for many decades .
I have never had the pleasure of knowing him but have known of him and his accomplishments for a long time .

Dennis Saydak

Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2011 7:01 am    

Brendan Mitchell wrote:
Just a little heads up for our American friends , Kenny Kitching has been the "foremost steel guitar player" in Australia for many decades .
I have never had the pleasure of knowing him but have known of him and his accomplishments for a long time .

And a very talented musician he is. I've posted this link before but here it is again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SALFInwr6s&feature=related

Michel Rose

Australia
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2011 4:12 pm    

I saw Ken play that Instrument last night in Stu French's studio , i had the honor of playing acc guitar
and mandolin on Ken's new recording . He has been like a Dad to me ever since i saw him play at the Transport club with the Kevin King Band some 30 years ago , and we have been friends ever since . He is a great player and more importantly a great Human being as well .
Welcome to the Forum my friend .

Michel.

Brendan Mitchell

Melbourne Australia
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2011 5:22 pm    

Thanks for the link Dennis , I had not seen that .

Kenny Kitching

Post  Posted 24 Mar 2011 10:21 pm     New double neck, resonator lap steel

Hello, and thanks to everyone who commented - i appreciate the interest.
The tunings:
The 7 string neck at the front is tuned to E7 and by raising the B string to C# it becomes a C#m7 tuning.
The other neck is 8 strings - it's the popular C6 tuning that Jerry Byrd invented (I think around about the 1940s)
Tony D, that's a good joke seeing that my uncle bought it new 1930 ..... Hello!

Bob, they sure are the same necks you saw at Nerang. Sometimes these things take time eh mate. It's been on the drawing board since the 80s and finally done, thanks to Ray Marshall.

Hi Edward, I have a toggle switch to cancel out the one I'm not playing - so no problems with vibrations. Thank you for your comments.

Thank you Michel and Tomi for your comments, I really appreciate them - i've got heaps of time for you fellas. Michel thanks very much for the tracks, i just love your playing - you have so much talent.

Brendan, i hope we can meet up some day and i can get to hear you play. Cheers and best regards, Kenny

John, they are all dobro / style parts . Ray (who is a fitter and turner by trade) extended the bridge on the spider to accommodate the two lots of strings, and modified the cover plate for this purpose.

By the way, Ray has made resonators before, and also acoustic guitars and Mandolins - and also Banjolas. Clever man, and i'm very grateful to have found him and shown him my plans.
Australia

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2011 9:23 am    

It puts paid, once and for all, to the discussion as to whether a resonator cone can take more than 8 strings. Nicely done. Cool

Jeff Spencer

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2011 5:01 am    

G'day. Kenny. Always enjoy your playing at Brissy. See you there again. There has been a fair bit of interest in my Parina so want to get some pics of yours this time with your permission or you could post some yourself.
Thankyou for your inspiration
Cheers
Jeff

Ned McIntosh

Post  Posted 2 Apr 2011 4:59 pm    

A huge welcome to the forum, Kenny! Very Happy

The link to the Youtube video shows Kenny playing his double-neck Perina, with the Anstead-built third neck at the rear. Gorgeous sounds!
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.

Jeff Spencer

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2011 11:42 pm    

Thanks Dennis for the link. I have had the privilege of seeing Kenny many times in person and his playing is simply great!!
Brendan- you should try to get to Brisbane for the festival

http://www.brissteelguitar.com/2011festival.html

Jeff

Gary C. Dygert

Frankfort, NY, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2015 1:15 pm    

Beautiful tone.