The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  North Town Opry-K.C. Mo.
Vance Monday

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2009 2:42 pm    

Anyone in the Kansas City area that likes classic country music, is invited to the North Town Opry located 2 miles north of Edgerton, Mo. this Sat. night Jan. 24th. I will be on steel and we also have
fiddle,lead, bass, and drums. It will be a good time.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2009 2:56 pm    

When I saw "North Town Opry" I thought someone had resurected the old (Byron Jones) Northtown Opry located in North Kansas City, Mo.

I thought the Boswell's had an Opry in Edgerton?

Vance Monday

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2009 3:09 pm     Opry

Hi Jack,
Yes you are right. This is Byron Jones North Town Opry. He bought Boswell's building north of Edgerton and opened his opry back up the first of November. Buddy Boswell hasn't had an opry there for probably seven or eight years so when Byron lost his building he had to close his show until he got the chance to buy Boswell's theater. It is a real nice theater and Byron has a great show. Thanks

John L. Farrell

Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2009 3:12 am    

Hi Vance, Have a great time Sat and tell Byron hello for me. Hopefully Leland will be there to sing a few vocals. I don't believe we have met but if you are ever close to Lake of the ozarks, Osage Beach, I'd buy a cup of coffee. John

Vance Monday

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2009 9:02 am     Sat Nite

Hi John,
I will take you up on the coffee one of these days. I don't get to that area much any more. I used to play steel with Frankie Lee sometimes at Osage Beach. I don't know if you remember him or not. He passed away a few years ago but was a real good singer and guitar player.
I'm sure Leland will be there Sat. night. His show is shut down for the winter. I will tell them both that you said Hi. Hope we can get together one of these days. Vance

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2009 1:59 pm    

Vance thanks for the clarification. I worked some of the old Ferris Opry shows for Byron in Richmond Mo. (that was before the Northtown Opry). I also worked several jobs with his brother Leland.

I retired in Sept 96 and moved to Florida in Nov 96. I still get back as I have a daugher and son in the area. I also got to jam with some of the KC Steel Club members last September when I was there.

My web site www.gulfcoaststeelguitar.com

Michael Breid

Eureka Springs, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2009 9:29 pm    

I played in the early 50's in Kansas City on KCMO with Hobie Shepp and the Cowtown Wranglers on the Cowtown Jubilee at the old Ivanhoe Temple and about fifteen years ago they had a reunion of the old Jubilee people with Hobie, Jimmy Dallas, Cora Rice, et. al. They found me clear down here in the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas and invited me to come up and perform on the show. It was at the Northtown Opry building and it was great to perform again with those people. Some of them have passed on, but it was a great experience to get to pick and grin with them after forty two years. What great memories.

John L. Farrell

Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2009 4:29 am    

Vance, Would that have been Frank Hulett. Frank worked for years on the Ozark Opry and then for years doing a single at JacksonHole Restaurant and Lounge. A good friend of mine and I got to pick with him ocasionally. Send me your info to www.jlfslf@charter.net And, have a great time in KC. Later, John

Vance Monday

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2009 7:51 am     Cowtown

Michael, I remember getting to play for Jimmy Dallas one time and doing Drinkin' Champayne. Also remember Milt and Scotty. I was just out of high school in 57 and playing lead guitar for Charlie Kellogg and the Ozark Drifters out of St. Joe. Brings back a lot of memories. Vance

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2009 9:05 am    

WOW! Charlie Kellogg, there is a name from the past. I did a lot of Session work for Charlie at his "Big K" studio on North Oak in the mid/late 70's and early 80's. I was also his electronics tech for a long time, and completely rewired his control room one time, trying to get the radio station out of his audio, as he was less than a block from KCMO AM's transmitter site.

One of the first sessions I did for Charlie was "Pin Ball Boogie" that Jack Hensley had originally did the steel on but after hearing me on a different session he asked me to put steel on the song as he wanted a different style.

Vance Monday

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2009 10:01 am     Big K

Jack, I remember the Big K very well. I did several sessions there with Charlie and others. The first session I did with Charlie, was at Radio station KRES in St. Joe. They did a live broadcast of a show at 10th and Edmund every Sat. night and that's where I first met Charlie. Small world huh? This has been interesting and keep in touch. By the way, Byron and Leland were both at the show last night and they said to say Hi to everyone. It was a great show.

Vance

Pat Richardson

Paxton, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2011 12:16 pm     Frank Hullette

Boys this is a late reply, but I was in Osage Beach in 1985 and had the pleasure of setting in with Frank wile he did his house thing at jackson hole . I was just 20 years old and got a job working on a resort. The job didn't work out but I enjoyed setting in with Frank . there was none better a gentleman and great guitar player and singer than he ! Its sad to know he has pass on . if there is any more info on him such as when he died exct . I sure would appreciate it ! Frank was the kind of guy that you would want to know and I only knew him for about 6 short months but he made me feel welcome and seemed like a life long friend