The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  UPS destroyed my Benoit Reso; need claims advice
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2004 2:57 am    

I can't believe it. I shipped my beloved Benoit resophonic to the builder to repair a totally minor cosemtic blemish in the finish and UPS managed to crack the back and total the guitar. It was packed in a Taylor shipping carton, in a hard case, surrounded by newspaper wads and marked fragile all over. I insured it for full value. I've heard UPS is very tough to deal with on claims. Can anyone give me advice on how to make sure they pay the claim? Thanks.

[This message was edited by Andy Volk on 12 June 2004 at 03:58 AM.]

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2004 4:08 am    

Andy,....it grieves me to hear this. What a shame.

First, and obvious, is to hear what they say to your claim. Hopefully they will take the responsibility. If not, it will take much persistence and time. I think this has to be taken step by step.

I assume that Carroll has the guitar and box. Was the outer carton visibly damaged? Make sure that you have MANY pictures of the carton and the guitar, packed, unpacked,close ups, and from as many angles as possible. Guitar, cartons, and packing.

Let's see how this plays out. Please keep us informed.

Roger Kelly

Bristol,Tennessee
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2004 4:24 am    

I am in the process of filing a claim with UPS, after the buyer of my Evans Amp informed me that it had been damaged. The buyer is also filing a claim with UPS and should be getting a settlement, since I had insured the Amp and had it "Professionally Packed" by a UPS store. This is the first time I have ever had any trouble with anything I have shipped with UPS and I have shipped Guitars, Amps, and other items all over the USA and Europe.
I did have to submit proof on my end that the Amp was worth what I insured it for, as you may have to, and I also furnished a copy of the shipping receipt to UPS. I did send a copy of everything I had to the buyer and told her to save everything and to take pictures of the carton and all the damaged places for her claim. I am hopeful that both of us, buyer and seller, will be able to put the Pressure on UPS to do what is right, and pay the claim promptly. I'll let you know how everything comes out. I hope you will be able to get a prompt and adequate settlement.

Peter

Post  Posted 12 Jun 2004 7:43 am    

Hi Andy,
Ask Damir Besic (damirzanne@yahoo.com).
He is a FedEx contractor. I am sure he can help.
And I love your book!

------------------
Peter den Hartogh
Emmons 1978 S10-Fender Artist S10-Remington U12
Hilton Volume Pedal-Gibson BR4-Guya "Stringmaster"
MusicMan112RP-Peavy Rage158
My Animation College in South Africa

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2004 2:27 pm    

I would say this is awefull..
but..I ship UPS as a regular means of business and any claims issue I have had found them to be first rate.

For the most part the packages are on automated ramps and conveyors. These mechanical devies cannot read "Handle with Care". The package in question probably fell off a conveyor somewhere or took a fall.

Now also mentioned above is that the UPS stores "Professionally Pack"..I would just like to comment on this.. The folks in the stores are clerks of stores that were purchased by UPS and are not professional in anything. I would never never ever..did I say NEVER allow anyone but ME to pack anything of value that required safe journey.

I am going to mention two incidents where I made an EBAY purchase and both times the items were professionally packed by the UPS store Clerks and then sent to me. One was a Guitar..they put it in a box and filled it with peanuts. Result broken neck. Insurance claim paid immediatley. # 2 was a 16 track Yahama Digital recorder ( AW2816) they put it in a box and filled it with peanuts. It survived but barely. No damage but close. The packing had settled to where the box was now half full and the deck was moving around inside. They got lucky.

These are not professional packers . They sell stamps for a living. This is kinda like saying that someone local who runs for political office and happens to win, goes to Washington and now are immediate experts on the National Economy and War.

UPS and FED EX are services that move boxes from point A to point B. They both do that very well. Thats where it ends.

File the claim and don't look back.

t

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 12 June 2004 at 04:30 PM.]

rpetersen

Iowa
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2004 3:01 pm    

I had a problem with UPS on a similiar situation - much of there stuff is handled by conveyors, but, someone puts it on there!! - I had a hell of a time and had to stay on them and after about 6 - 8 phone calls and almost have to threaten them on the item (which was insured) I finally got my payment - It took about 3 months. You have to stay on them!!

------------------
Ron Petersen &
The Keep'n Tyme Band
Mullen Universal 12 - 1975 Session 400

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2004 4:00 pm    

Thanks, everyone. sounds like it's gonna be an uphill climb.

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2004 4:11 pm    

Moving to "No Peddlars"