The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How Many Newman Students Here?
Walter Bowden

Wilmington, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2011 5:43 pm    

Hi Egil. Once again, you guys have "jump started" my memory.

The club I referred to earlier that some of us went to had Doug Jernigan on steel and not Jimmy Crawford as I had d thought. He was playing D10 Emmons (I'm sure of that) and and when we told him we were at Jeff's for the week he was really nice and answered all our (my) usual dumb questions.

I do remember distinctly the drummer for the band was Kenny Buttrey Jr. and his father was a very busy studio player in Nashville. I wonder if he is still playing (Kenny Jr) because it was a very good band and fun to hang around with.

Are you sure you aren't in the picture I posted? Anyhow, good to hear from my classmates. Walter

Tony Wilcox

Humble, Texas USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2011 6:07 pm     Jeffran

I was at the school for the first time in November 1978. Monty "Mad Dog" Laffoon was in that class with me....Great times. Remember the beans and cornbread that Fran fixed.

Lathan Mills

GOODYEAR, ARIZONA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2011 9:32 pm    

I attended several of Jeff`s seminars in the Midwest area, Sorry he is no longer with us.He was a fine person, and a great teacher.
Sho-Bud The Professional D-10,SHO-BUD PRO 1,Tube-Fex,Boss DD3,Boss CS-3,Walker Stereo Steel System,Peavey Nashville- 112,Peavey Express-112,Peavey Hilton Pedal,Goodrich-120,ERNIE BALL VP,Marlen Bar, Echoplex,Fender Jazzmaster 1962,Gretsch 6120 1959, Epiphone Hummingbird Pro Acoustic-Electric

Ron Scott

Michigan
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2011 9:24 am    

I also attended in the late 70's, 2 1/2 day seminar in Ontario Canada and a one day Seminar in Lansing Michigan . Don't remember the dates but really very informative class at both.My playing improved 75%.I have bought lots of stuff thru his materials of sound tracks his video's. What a great loss to not only his family but all of us.Ron

Last edited by Ron Scott on 22 Aug 2017 5:49 pm; edited 4 times in total

Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2011 9:41 am    

Here another one Smile

Sonny Priddy

Elizabethtown, Kentucky, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2011 6:10 pm     Jeffran College

Any Body Go To Jeffran School Aug. 22nd 1981? SONNY.

jackie harmon

sherman texas usa
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2011 5:25 am     jeff newman

I miss him he was a great teacher.I still pull his material out and practice .

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2011 10:45 am    

I attended a seminar in the Los Angeles area in '77 or '78 which was a great learning experience. I was playing a ShoBud S-12 extended E9 guitar with 3 FP and 4 KL. When I left I could play "Nightlife" on the E9 tuning and a bunch of other usable stuff. I thought Jeff was a very good instructor and his materials were very well done........JH in Va.

Alan Harrison

Murfreesboro Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2011 11:11 am     Jeff and Fran

I'm pleased to add my name to this list. Took a two day course on Easter weekend about 1973 in Los Angeles California. Then moved to the Nashville area in 1977 where I got to see Jeff and Fran quite often. Got to attend the Monday night shows at the college and the June Jams. Wow what a fun time. I really miss Jeff and Fran.

"I Steel Without Remorse"

Bas Kapitein

Holland
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2011 12:04 pm    

In the summer of ’77 I was invited to show the Big E gave for Newman’s class in Nashville.
It was a remarkable show. Someone said, “because Emmons brought his father along”.
I don’t know about that, but I never saw him playing other than remarkable.
I brought my camera along and took some shots. One of them ended up as the cover-picture of Tom Bradshaw’s “Steel Guitarist” magazine of may 79.
Of course I wanted my picture taken and I asked one of the student to take my camera and do so. Than it was my turn to capture his moment with Buddy. He gave me his address, which I think I lost. Maybe I can make it up to him through this forum.

Sam Edwards

Mustang, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2011 2:55 pm    

I took the week long class in May 1979. I'll never forget him, one of the most memoriable times in my life, he changed my life forever.

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2017 7:04 am     Jeffran C6 1985

Doing some downsizing and came across the Jeffran College Intermediate C6 class roster w/ Buddy Emmons ca. August 1985:

Jim Wilson
Gary Blackwell
Michael Adamson
Truman Warren
Ron Dann
Mike Hicks
Don Hemmer
Ron de la Bey
Terry Haun
Jim Dauer
Me

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2017 11:15 am    

I was there for the week of July 16th 1982.
That is the date Buddy and Jeff signed my Steel with the engraving pen Smile

Last edited by Pete Burak on 18 Aug 2017 9:34 am; edited 3 times in total

Pat Hattic

Los Banos California
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2017 12:52 pm     Newman

I've used nearly all his courses. I just ordered another
one from Melissa.

Ray Mangrum

Nashville, TN.
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2017 5:16 am     Newman Students

I'm glad to say I am one of his students, from correspondence courses, to the week long classes outside of Nashville, I made several trips to his school when I could while on leave from the Navy. "If ya can't hear it, YOU can't play it rings in my ears often"!! Rest in peace Jeff, you were a GREAT ONE!!!!!

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2017 8:30 am    

I think I was there in 82(?),,,wish I knew for sure when,,,also the names of guys in my class. I know Jerry Harkins was in my class,,,and a young kid named "Jim",,,we all teased him because he seemed to pick up on things sooo fast. Emmons was the featured player. Jeff called one of the Jackson boys over to put a E to F lever on my ShoBud Pro I. It must have been the fall of '82 because Jerry had just been to ISGC in St Lu.

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 18 Aug 2017 8:50 am    

I wonder if the "Mitchell" referred to earlier was Mitchell Smithey in Dallas,,,a monster player. Think he is working for MSA?

Ford Cole

Texas
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2017 9:23 am     Thanks, Jeff.

I may have attended the last teaching session Jeff held. This would have been at the Dallas show in the early 2000's. I believe he passed shortly after that. What a great opportunity he gave to all of us!! If I had only retained even a small percent more of his store house of information...

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2017 9:45 am    

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
I wonder if the "Mitchell" referred to earlier was Mitchell Smithey in Dallas,,,a monster player. Think he is working for MSA?

Sonny, when I went to Jeffran for a week of E9 in '83 or so, a guy named Mitch Wright was helping out. He's also pictured with Jeff and Fran on the cover of the "Wanted For Steeling" album.

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 18 Aug 2017 10:32 am    

Yeah Frank,,that was probably the "Mitchell" they were referring to. Thanks!

James Flaherty

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2017 6:47 pm    

I went to Jeffran about 3 or 4 times between 1983 and 1986. I went through the Intermediate E9, Advanced E9, Speed Picking and a E9/B6 course taught by Buddy Emmons. It was always a blast to go Jeffran.

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 19 Aug 2017 8:29 pm    

Met Jeff at a two-day event in Concord CA sponsored by Tom Bradshaw. Changed my life. The following summer I drove a '66 VW bus from Mendocino CA to Nashville for a week of school at the old driver's-ed double wide.

That changed my picking for good. Still rely on "the dirty dozen." Buddy Emmons stopped by and played. We went to the Grand Old Opry, met the steel players behind the stage.

Jeff also took us to his Baptist Church. That stuck too...

Leland Ogle

Baxter Springs, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2017 11:56 am    

Attended Jeff's June 1980 class. The class so big that Jeff had Bill Jobes there to help. Doug Jernigan played one night. What a wonderful experience.

Larry Hobson

Valley Grande (Selma) Al USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2017 3:45 pm    

. HERE are two pictures when I attended Jeff,s school. Are any of you still out there?

Larry Hobson

Valley Grande (Selma) Al USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2017 4:13 pm    

Second picture.