The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How Many Newman Students Here?
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2011 7:58 pm    

Hey Pete Burak, I was in that advanced class in July 82 along with you, Henning and Mike Daily .. I must dig out the photo and post it up.. Boy we sure did learn some great stuff, and I remember sitting 10 feet in front of Buddy E during his little concert - incredible stuff.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

David Rupert

Mesa, Arizona (via Mahopac, NY & Missouri).
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2011 8:25 am     Hit the nail, on the head!

Mark van Allen wrote:
I had gone to a seminar or two of Jeff's by spring of '78, and the only time I had off from my band was during his first advanced/teachers week long class. I thought it might be over my head but called him and he talked me into it. Best thing I ever did for my pursuit of professional playing. Besides the incredible classtime and nights on the town and at Bradley's Barn I have the fondest memories of the homecooked family meals we shared at lunchtimes (thanks, Fran!) The conversations and camaraderie were truly wonderful. What a great experience.

He really made a difference in a lot of folks' lives, and really, what more can a person ask as a legacy?

I would like to echo, what Mark Van Allen wrote. I couldn't say it any better! That's basically how I recall my experience, with Jeff Newman...at the Jeffran College. Jeff certainly was a great teacher! He really taught me, so much. I too, attended a few of his seminars. Then, I attended Jeffran College. Class of August 1977. My sincere thanks, to Jeff & Fran!

"Music. Without it, life itself...would be impossible."

ZumSteel - Encoreâ„¢ S-10 / 3p x 5k (Two-Tone; Red & Black Top).
Rolandâ„¢ Cube 80x Amp, Hilton Volume Pedal, TC Electronicsâ„¢ Flashbackâ„¢ Delay, TC Electronicsâ„¢ MojoMojoâ„¢ Overdrive, Peterson StroboPlus HD Tuner, D2F Covers. Evans JE-300 Amp. (in the not too distant future).

Most Importantly: the musicians hands...& soul.

http://www.bandmix.com/pedal-steel-75/

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2011 9:29 am    

Paddy Long wrote:
Hey Pete Burak, I was in that advanced class in July 82 along with you, Henning and Mike Daily .. I must dig out the photo and post it up.. Boy we sure did learn some great stuff, and I remember sitting 10 feet in front of Buddy E during his little concert - incredible stuff.

That's right, Paddy! I remember you from that class also.
That was a great week. I think I know where the pictures are. I'll have to learn to scan (and post)them.
I wish I could find the tape from the Buddy E. show.
pete
Smile

Larry Ray Miller

Elizabethton, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2011 10:39 am     Jeffran College

I attended two of Jeff Newman's weekend seminars. I learned more in two weekends, than I had in five years in the bedroom. One was in Hickory NC. sometime in the late 70s. Jeff taught E9 in one room, and Buddy Emmons thught C6 in the next room. Then they gave a fantastic concert. The other seminar was in Hendersonville at Jeffran College. We got snowed in, and had to stay longer before leaving. There was a little girl in the class, about 12. I believe her name was Donna Hammitt. An oldre man in the class told Jeff that he had a student model Sho-Bud, and it did not sound as good as Jeff's expensive guitar. Jeff moved his guitar off of the stage, and moved the man's guitar up there. After a little tuning he started playing, and it sounded great. The man jumped up with a tape recorder, and shouted into it. "listen Martha that's Jeff Newman playing my guitar", and recorded it. I learned that most of the sound is in the hands of the master. Larry Ray Miller

Larry Ray Miller

Elizabethton, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2011 2:58 pm     correction

oops. I should have said in the late 80's.
Larry Ray Miller

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2011 3:18 pm    

Pete yeah mate, I'm not at home right now due to the earthquake but once I get back I will dig it out and post it up ... I have a pic of me and Buddy I am very proud of as well. One of the Session 400's he played through was the one I bought at Gruhns and then bought home to NZ !!
Going to Jeff's school was the best thing I could have done for my playing - it has certainly paid off.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Jon Logan

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2011 4:12 pm     Newman Students

1982,, I think,,,, The Thursday jam featured 'Dumplin' Cox with Buddy Emmons on bass. Still playing this Sho-Bud.

John McConnell

Yuba City, CA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2011 6:46 pm    

I attended a four day seminar at the Phoenix show just a few months before he was killed in his accident. I treasure the memories and the knowledge that I received. Even though there were 12 in the class, Jeff made me feel like he was teaching to me, if you understand that. RIP Jeff. You are a treasure still.
Quilter Steelaire-Fender Twin Reverb

Bosse Engzell

�ppelbo, SWEDEN
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2011 10:40 pm    

An intermediate in Septrember -79. Fantastic!!

Bosse in Sweden

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2011 6:00 am    

I was looking through a shoe box with some old papers a while back and ran across the little "lick book" he gave everyone at "Jeffran College" back in the early 80s.

Ernest Cawby

Lake City, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2011 6:33 pm     me 2

I was saving my money the year he passed away, to go to the mountain for a week. But I am still a student of Jeff's, thru his DVD's, I have almost everything he has in lessons on DVD, in 1991 I bought so many courses he made me customer of the year. Bought my Nash. 400 and Steeldriver from him.
I miss him as thou he was a personal friend, also fell in love long distance with Julie his grand daughter, she was a very sweet girl, sent her gifts when she graduated, when her baby was born Nan made her some baby things. Shoes,a cap and blanket.

ernie

Walter Bowden

Wilmington, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2011 4:56 pm    

Hey JR, I think you and I were there at the same time. I remember meeting Lloyd Green at Bradley's Barn and Buddy Emmons playing for our "graduation" show.
I think Lenny Breau was on guitar and Bill Lawrence dropped in and picked a little too. I didn't know we would also have a free lunch too because
I was eating cans of tuna fish in the nearby motel and saved some money for beer!

I also remember Jeff telling us about a small club near Watertown where Jimmy Crawford was playing with the band and it being a lot cheaper going there than the downtown Nashville "Printers Alley" places.

I know I and several others would head over there and there was no cover charge except on Fri or Sat night and Jimmy was very approachable
and friendly when we said Jeff Newman recommended we come see and hear him.

I am including a picture with the class and one of Buddy and the band.
I am on the bottom row with the white T shirt. Do you know if this is
the same class as you refer to?

Best wishes, Walter

Bosse Engzell

�ppelbo, SWEDEN
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2011 10:42 pm    

Hello Walter, You can find me standing on knee in front of Jeff. Nice to see the picture here. I remember sign a flight ticket to one of the boys, I think he was from Oklahola. I get some nice picure of Lloyd with my Swedish AWM Eagle steel..........

Bosse in Sweden

Walter Bowden

Post  Posted 4 Mar 2011 7:10 pm    

Hello Bosse. Good to hear from you. If my memory is correct, (subject to debate) I think this group of students included some guys from Canada, New Zeland and Australia and maybe some other countries too.
I think Jeff drove some of you guys from Scotty's convention to Watertown in his van to attend the class. It would be great if you could post some of your pictures
if you can. Best wishes and hope you and your family and friends are well.
Walter

Hal Stackhouse

Muldrow, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2011 4:53 am     Jeff Newman's College

Hi Everyone, I too was a student of Jeff's. July 1977 and a couple of other weeklong stints at various times. I used to stop by and see Jeff when I could. He was always very helpful. I too own almost all of the material he has produced over the years.

Keep Steelin'

Hal

Bosse Engzell

�ppelbo, SWEDEN
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2011 8:07 am    

Hi Walter, It was Bucky Barret on guitar as the picture show. And it was also one from South Africa, and this was the biggest group so far with international guest to Jeff's school.
I don't have any scanner for picture or slides, sorry.

Bosse in Sweden

P.S. Nice to find one member of the class.

Mark Greenway

Lake Kiowa, Texas
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2011 10:57 pm     Jeff

I have hundreds of dollars worth of his instruction material and I still use his diamond picks. I would go to his seminars at the Dallas Show every year. Would anyone of you guys out there happen to have the Oh Boy Am I Lost Blues? He gave us that scale to use in case we got lost as we were playing. I can't find my copy of that.

Jeff was a great great teacher. He had the gift. Thanks Jeff

Walter Bowden

Post  Posted 8 Mar 2011 5:41 pm    

Hey Bosse, thanks for the correction. As I said, my memories fade as my pictures do, but the good feelings I took home from Watertown and the great instruction, camaraderie and total experiences are timeless.
BTW I'm using JF finger and thumb pics and Fran always treats former students (and others) great, especially if you share some memories with her.
Best wishes, Walter

Bosse Engzell

�ppelbo, SWEDEN
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2011 12:50 am     Jeffran College

Hi Walter, I be back to you via MAIL, maybe some other boys will be in here, ha, ha, ha,

Bosse in Sweden

Egil Skjelnes

Meland,Frekhaug
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2011 1:11 am     Jeff 1978

Hi.
I am also one of Jeff`s students,I think it was an Intermediate class in July 1978? Or might have been June. We were 2 from Norway,I borrowed an old Sho Bud from Jeff,and my friend brought in his old 8 string Fender! Jeff said-"You can`t play that!" and really had a good laugh! He ended up using a double 10 Emmons that Jeff had there,and ending up buying it when we left! A great week with Buddy Emmons coming by for a concert. He also lend us his car,and said we should go down to a club and hear some great steel,but would not tell us who was playing.It turned out to be Doug Jernigan! So thanks to Jeff,we had another great evening.Also got to record a song each at Bradleys Barn Jeff have been several times to Norway where I also attended,so I really learned alot from him,and not to forget his cources with records-all great stuff.I have lots of pictures from that week in Nashville,but my scanner is not connected at the moment,maybe I will try to post a few pictures later.
If anyone of you was in this class,and remember 2 dudes from Norway,get in touch.Must admit I don`t remember any names,but maybe you recognice this?
All the best from Egil.

JR Ross

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2011 10:18 am     BOSSE & WALTER

Bosse & Walter This is unbelievable. Yes we were in the very same picture and class together.. I thought it was 1980 but my diploma says 1978 or 1979 I believe. Thats me with all the hair standing 3 guys to the left of jeff. Im wearing a white T shirt with green trim around the sleves and neck. I wore that shirt also when we went to Bradleys barn to see Loyd Green. I got pictures of that also. After all these years it is great to hear from you guys. Its like a high school reunion of some sort I guess... I guess we all were effected profoundly by this wonderfull learning experiance and we will never forget it.. I lived in the back of my pickup truck at a campground on lake Hickory when class was dismissed.. i lived on Tuna fish too that week. loved every minute of it. Jeff was one a the best.

JR Ross

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2011 10:32 am     Walter

Thanks for the pictures Walter .. I downloaded them to my history files..Ill try to scan in some pictures for you also.

Bosse Engzell

�ppelbo, SWEDEN
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2011 1:48 pm     Jr

Hi there, nice to see that 3 of us are here. Send you a e-mail list , in a few days it will come, have a lot to do rest of week and weekend.

Bosse in Sweden

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2011 8:21 pm     Re: Jeff 1978

Egil Skjelnes wrote:
Hi.
I am also one of Jeff`s students,I think it was an Intermediate class in July 1978? Or might have been June.

Egil, we almost ran into each other then! I was there in February of 1978, intermediate.

JR Ross

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2011 7:54 am    

Bossee & Walter
I just realized that that picture was taken 32 years ago.. Where has all the time gone? It is wonderful that through this website and internet we can reach back in our past and reconnect with people that share some wonderful moments together. Bosse I remember you. I I think we sat next to each other in class.. Your Sweedish accent wsa very strong but we were able to still communicate pretty good.