The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How Many Newman Students Here?
JR Ross

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2011 1:00 pm    

I Studied with him in 1980.. Thank god! I had been playing wrong (no blocking skills especially) for 10 years up to that point. Had to relearn everything and break a lot a bad habits but it was well worth the effort and changed my whole career...

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2011 1:45 pm    

I'm proud to be one of Jeff's students! He was the best at what he did, for sure. I miss him a lot.

Kirk Eipper

Arroyo Grande, Ca.
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2011 2:17 pm    

Before he had the Jeffran college up and running I did a 2 day seminar with him in Phoenix about 1975. I still have the handouts from that weekend.
'10 Williams 700 Series SD10 4+5/ '71 Emmons S-10 3+4/ '73 Emmons D-10 8+4/ GK MB 200/ Custom Tommy Huff Cabinets/ Webb 614-E/ Steelseat.com Pak-a-seat/ Magnatone and Fender lap steels/ Cobra Coil bars & Strings/ pod 2.0/ Peterson Tuners/Goodrich V.P./ Boss RV5/Teles and Martins

www.kirkeipper.com

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2011 2:55 pm    

Jeffran class of April 26 1980. Best money I ever spent. Worth twice the price. Still learning from the time and material I received from Jeff Newman.

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2011 3:06 pm    

Count me in, Jeff came to Ore/Wash many time over the years, we always had 30 or so students. I miss him even today.

Larry Behm

Phone: 971-219-8533

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2011 3:18 pm    

Intermediate class of February 1978.
I still remember the lunches they had catered in..we worked so hard we fell asleep at the steel. Jeff said we O.D'd.
Hal Rugg was special guest on Thursday evening. He made a huge memory. He was a heck of a great teacher, just like Jeff. Bless their souls.

Sonny Priddy

Elizabethtown, Kentucky, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2011 3:29 pm     Jeff's School.

I Went To The Intermediate Class For A Week In 1981. Great School. SONNY.

Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2011 3:47 pm    

I did a weekend siminar by the Los Angeles airport and later did the 1 week school when he brought it out to LA at the old Valley Arts store in N. Hollywood. Late 70's as close as I can recall and to this day I stumble across something and think to myself "Oh that's what Jeff ment!"
JE:-)>

Jody Cameron

Angleton, TX,, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2011 3:57 pm    

I was Jeff's student as a teenager. He really helped me, and I still think the world and all of him and his family. JC

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2011 4:07 pm    

Jeff was a mentor to me. I studied with him several times over the years since the 1980s. His teachings were invaluable and still are even to this day. On one occasion I spent 3 days with him. For the first 2 days I never played a note. We just discussed at length the philosophy of communicating musically with an audience. Those were 2 of the most valuable days I ever spent with Jeff. I'm totally proud to have been associated with him.
Jim

John Cox

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2011 5:28 pm    

I was blessed to attend 3 or 4 seminars he had around Houston in the 80's. And then went to his college for a week when Buddy was there. I miss him too and owe him a lot for getting going in the right direction.

JC.

Butch Pytko

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2011 6:07 pm    

Took several of his seminars thru the years. Had a great time & sure learned a lot! He sure pointed me in the right direction.

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2011 7:13 pm    

Matt Cockrell and me in Watertown for the Intermediate E9 school ca. 1980-1981.

A year later I did a week w/ Buddy Emmons at Jeffran on C6... and took not a one picture. Crying or Very sad

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2011 9:22 pm    

I had gone to a seminar or two of Jeff's by spring of '78, and the only time I had off from my band was during his first advanced/teachers week long class. I thought it might be over my head but called him and he talked me into it. Best thing I ever did for my pursuit of professional playing. Besides the incredible classtime and nights on the town and at Bradley's Barn I have the fondest memories of the homecooked family meals we shared at lunchtimes (thanks, Fran!) The conversations and camaraderie were truly wonderful. What a great experience.

He really made a difference in a lot of folks' lives, and really, what more can a person ask as a legacy?

Tom Stolaski

Huntsville, AL, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2011 11:31 pm    

I took one of his C6th seminars at Scotty's convention. Great stuff. My son is starting to learn how to play. I plan on giving him Jeff's C6th course when he is ready for it.

Don McClellan

California/Thailand
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2011 2:54 am    

I attended a few seminars in the late 70s. The first was in Concord, CA and was organized by Tom Bradshaw I believe. His teaching was wonderful but what I remember most is how well he played and how many steelers were there. There must have been 75(?)of us. He took a song I never really cared for and made me love it. It was Tie A Yellow Ribbon Around The Old Oak Tree on E9. He smoked that song! He was wonderful. Don

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2011 5:22 am    

I visited two of his "on the road" seminars and bought a couple of his video courses.

Jeff was not only a great musician, he was a TEACHER.

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2011 5:37 am     Jeffran College July 1984

I remember the Jeffran College five day Intermediate July 1984 class very well and have the notes I took and cassettes taped to remind me when the memory slips. Those who were there (seven others including Mike Selekcy (spelling?) from Ohio, and Reuben whose church in Canada paid for him to attend, were a decent bunch of guys who asked intelligent questions and were fun to be around.

Jeff used to put the material on the white-board when he taught and he explained things clearly and made it a point to move around and work with each of us. Of course stories were told; I can't remember if he or Buddy Emmons told this one which I do not have on tape (Buddy came in for about 90 minutes one lesson).

When Mr. Emmons was growing up, members of his family were expected to play an instrument and Buddy was supposed to choose. Not wanting to get into music at that early age, he saw a picture of a lap steel in a book and opted for that having assumed nobody could teach it. Unfortunately for him, he was in error; fortunately for us he was in error. I hope Buddy reads this to verify or refute this. It could have been a Mr. Newman tall tale. He was know to deal with the truth like it was Silly Putty.

Wonderful memories of that time, and what I learned has helped me greatly. Fran Newman also contribued to the postive atmosphere, so thanks, Fran. steve t

Doug Childress

Orange, Texas
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2011 8:33 am    

I am a Newman student class of 2000.

Michael Dulin

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2011 9:11 am     jeff newman students

I'm no great player by any means but if not for Jeff I could play nothing! MD

JR Ross

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2011 9:35 am    

Yes I know there's many of us out there that owe this man and Fran a world of graditute for what we learned. I met Loyd Green on our trip to Bradleys Barn and then Buddy Emmons put on a show one evening at Jeffs School when I was there. Whenever I think of John Denver unlike most people it reminds me of the tragic way they both lost their lives and it makes me sad. I will never forget either of them...

Nic du Toit

Milnerton, Cape, South Africa
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2011 9:52 am    

The best move I ever made.......my certificate is dated 26th April, 19780......(Not my Typo ! Smile )

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2011 10:20 am    

I spent a week at a Jeff seminar in July 1982. I remember Henning Kock was in that class. The steel player for George Straight, Mike Daly, sat right across from me.
There was one girl in the class, about my age at the time. I wonder if she is still playing.
The class was the one that was for "if you play in a band", I don't recall a level like beginner/intermiediate, etc.
I was 18 and had been playing in a band in Cody, Wyoming for about a year.
Buddy E put on a show that really gave me the bug to get better.
Funn Stuff!
pete b.

Brian Straub

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2011 2:04 pm     Jeffran

I started playing late...wondering when someone may start up a new school to continue Mr. Newman's legacy. I'm sure many would attend. Very Happy

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2011 2:33 pm    

I attended every one of Jeff's seminars, that, he put on in NY. I think the first one was around 1975 or 76'. He opened up a whole new world to me. Unfortunately for me, I was never able to go to his school for the week long gigs. I'm still kicking myself, to this day, for missing that opportunity. He was a great friend, artist, and especially a teacher. There isn't a time, when, I put my picks on, that, I don't think of him. He is surely missed in the steel world.