The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Any Pedal Steel Players Located In Indiana?
Dave A. Burley

Franklin, In. USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2011 6:01 pm    

I now have an old Fender 400. Used to play some steel in the sixties and plan to get back into it. I live near Franklin, Ind. transplanted from Michigan and Nashville, Tenn. Some of you might know that I promoted a lot of steel stuff in the seventies and after promoting some stuff with some good pickers, I discovered I couldn't pick a lick. I'm going to Michigan this week to get my 400 set up the way I used to play it. There is another steeler in Columbus, Ind. by the name of Klint Brown. He's been playing for quite a few years and does some picking with some hot Indy country bands.
Scottsburg, Indiana. When is that show down there, David?
Dave A. Burley

David Graves

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2011 5:15 pm    

Last edited by David Graves on 21 Oct 2016 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jerry Erickson

Atlanta,IL 61723
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2011 6:38 pm    

Tommy Huse, IIRC from around Crawfordsville is a good friend and player. He also sings ,plays guitar,banjo and drums.
Nelson Wynn is another good player from Indiana. I don't remember the town, but it is in NW Indiana.

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2011 8:38 am    

Hi David, as far as I know, the Rex Allen Jr. song (I Love You Arizona) is still the state song.
Can't say I've heard the one your speaking of, I'd like to have a MP3 of it if you could email me one.
fredsmusic@q.com
The Superstition mountains are a sight to see for sure.
Come by and visit me David if you get out this way.

Brian Hunter

Indianapolis
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2011 1:39 am    

I am a new non p[edal palyer in Indy. There are no teachers here I can find and if anyone wants to play or help a new guy out...please contact me here. Thanks!

David Graves

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2011 7:57 pm    

Brian.. I don't know the gentlemans name but I know someone who is a non-pedal steel player and I believe he's up around Greenwood. To find out more info you can contact Tom Pickett at Picketts Music Center in Columbus, IN Tom knows just about every musician on the face of the earth and a way to contact them. He'll be glad to help you out. He's a great guy. If I can think of anyone that's teaching I'll drop you and email. Good Luck..

Terry Rouch

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2014 5:13 am    

Hello my name is Terry Rouch, I live near Logansport, I play a sho-bud superpro. It has 8 pedals and 4 levers. I play through an old twin reverb. I have played regular guitar for 50 years. I just started playing pedal 2 years ago. I always wanted to play and picked up this instrument at an estate sale. I consider myself a complete rookie, and would love to meet and talk with a real player. Have any of you guys heard of Jack Sullivan? I played with him 25 years ago. He's gone now but I recorded with him and he was great. He had stories about playing with George Jones, Johnny Cash etc. They seemed to be true. Thanks for any replys.

Charles Campbell

Avon,Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2014 7:54 am     Indiana players

I live in Avon, In...about 20 mi straight west of Indy. I play A 2013 Black G2 Mullen SD10 with 5 hanging and 3 on the floor. I use a Walker SS Steel and TC M1 XL with (2) 15in JBL, and a Sarno Black box that just came today. I've only been playing for a short time about 4 or 5 yrs., but I really need to hook up with some pickers that can help me, you can only do so much playing with tracks in my music studio. I'm 70 yrs old but that doesn't stop me from trying to satisfy this addiction. Love pedal steel, especially the Ray Price stuff. My biggest problem is playing in front of people. I use Cakewalk Sonar X3 Producer for recording, I just bought 2014 BIAB and so far I only see about 300 bucks down the drain from it, very complicated program, at least for me.
Charlie

Lathan Mills

GOODYEAR, ARIZONA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2015 8:32 am     Indiana steel players

I lived and played music in Indiana until 2004 Moved to Arizona. I go back every year for a couple months and meet up with some pickers and have a great time.

Lathan R Mills
Goodyear, Arizona
Right now I am in Gulf Shores, Alabama Hoping to get to hear some good live music while I`m here.
Sho-Bud The Professional D-10,SHO-BUD PRO 1,Tube-Fex,Boss DD3,Boss CS-3,Walker Stereo Steel System,Peavey Nashville- 112,Peavey Express-112,Peavey Hilton Pedal,Goodrich-120,ERNIE BALL VP,Marlen Bar, Echoplex,Fender Jazzmaster 1962,Gretsch 6120 1959, Epiphone Hummingbird Pro Acoustic-Electric

David Cubbedge

Toledo,Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2015 9:18 am    

Toledo Ohio is an hour away from Angola, if that counts!
Red Emmons D10 fatback #2246D with sweet Hugh Briley split cases, Black Emmons S10 #1466S, '73 Fender "Snakeskin" Twin Reverb, Peavey Nashville 400, Line 6 Pod XT, Fender 400, Fender Stringmaster Double-8, too many guitars, one bass!

Jerry Fessenden

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2015 7:41 pm     steel players Indiana

There are several steel players that attend the Indy club meetings every two months ...Sharon Denney has been keeping the club going for the past several yrs. There will be another club meeting this month I think on Feb 22.

Steve Melchi

Missouri, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2015 9:38 pm     steelguitar in indiana

i used ta live in indiana from ft wayne to medora have worked the show in scottsburg and other venues around the state i know most of the players you all have mentioned and they are great players!!i left indiana in 05 and came to branson i currently work for jeannie kendall of the kendalls i have a teal zumsteel 8-6 i use either a evans amp or my power rack and dual 15s jack fish from brownstown is also a great player fred ill see ya in branson soon we got stories!!!Lol Shocked

Steve Melchi

Missouri, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2015 9:39 pm     steelguitar in indiana

i used ta live in indiana from ft wayne to medora have worked the show in scottsburg and other venues around the state i know most of the players you all have mentioned and they are great players!!i left indiana in 05 and came to branson i currently work for jeannie kendall of the kendalls i have a teal zumsteel 8-6 i use either a evans amp or my power rack and dual 15s jack fish from brownstown is also a great player fred ill see ya in branson soon we got stories!!!Lol Shocked

Roger Francis

kokomo,Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2015 7:53 am    

Terry, I remember Jack S. (AKA burr head) I remember him playing here in Kokomo, his band had a house gig back in the 70s about the time I started playing. He was good player. One of my good friends and great player back then was Bobby McCoy from Daleville In. A great guy and kinda my mentor back then, brought me my first seel seat to use to get me out of a chair and said I looked more like a steel player with the seat, he would stop by where I was playing occasionally and bring me something to try, amps, volume pedal (witch I still have) and told me I needed a PP Emmons so I bought one of those and played it for 22yrs. I really miss him, he passed away prob 20 plus yrs ago.

Lathan Mills

GOODYEAR, ARIZONA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2015 2:49 pm     Gulf Shores, Alabama

I WAS TOLD THAT LEON MERCER WAS IN THE GULF SHORES AREA AND MIGHT BE PLAYING SOMEWHERE. IF SO I WOULD LIKE TO GO MEET HIM AND HEAR SOME LIVE MUSIC. IF ANY ONE KNOWS PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I WILL BE IN GULF SHORES FOR ANOTHER WEEK OR SO. THANK`S

LATHAN MILLS

FROM GOODYEAR, ARIZONA

FORMERLY FROM VALPARAISO, INDIANA
Sho-Bud The Professional D-10,SHO-BUD PRO 1,Tube-Fex,Boss DD3,Boss CS-3,Walker Stereo Steel System,Peavey Nashville- 112,Peavey Express-112,Peavey Hilton Pedal,Goodrich-120,ERNIE BALL VP,Marlen Bar, Echoplex,Fender Jazzmaster 1962,Gretsch 6120 1959, Epiphone Hummingbird Pro Acoustic-Electric

Lathan Mills

GOODYEAR, ARIZONA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2015 2:49 pm     Gulf Shores, Alabama

I WAS TOLD THAT LEON MERCER WAS IN THE GULF SHORES AREA AND MIGHT BE PLAYING SOMEWHERE. IF SO I WOULD LIKE TO GO MEET HIM AND HEAR SOME LIVE MUSIC. IF ANY ONE KNOWS PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I WILL BE IN GULF SHORES FOR ANOTHER WEEK OR SO. THANK`S

LATHAN MILLS

FROM GOODYEAR, ARIZONA

FORMERLY FROM VALPARAISO, INDIANA

Jerry Fessenden

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2015 6:50 pm     steel players in Indy

Leon comes to the Indy club a lot ...maybe he will be there again on Feb 22.

Last edited by Jerry Fessenden on 17 Feb 2015 4:15 am; edited 1 time in total

Carl Kilmer

East Central, Illinois
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2015 8:55 pm    

Lathan, send me your email, and I'll send you Leon's
phone number and email address. He's a friend of mine.
"Lucky"

Dan Lockhart

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2016 8:51 am     Pedal Steel player in Carmel

I am a new Pedal Steel player in Carmel, Indiana. I have a Carter Starter. I am currently taking lessons from John McClung over Skype. I am a long time guitar/bass player and song writer. I have popular sites as (ProgRockDan1) on SoundCloud and ReverbNation.

I am interested in meeting other Pedal Steel players around Carmel/Indianapolis.

Gary Martin

Indiana, Columbia City
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2019 3:35 pm     Indiana Steel Players

I live in Columbia City and have been playing since 1970. Play music most weekends in the Fort Wayne area.

Karol Wainscott

Kokomo , Indiana
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2019 4:16 pm    

I am in Kokomo , In . I am currently playing a GFI Ultra 3x4 , E9th SD-10 . Have had SD-10 Emmons Lashley II , a Loyd Green Sho-Bud SD-10 and a Sho-Bud Professional D-10 .

Steve Melchi

Missouri, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2019 8:16 pm     Steelguitar in Indiana

I was playing steel around the Bloomington Bedford I haven't been around being working for jeannie kendall of the kendall's here in Branson but I wish you luck there are some great players there

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2019 10:01 pm    

Karol I don't know if you are aware of Tommy Minmiear?
He lives there in Logansport IN. here is his email.
picksandbar@hotmail.com

Karol Wainscott

Kokomo , Indiana
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2019 7:20 am    

Fred thanks for the info . I do not know him , but will try to connect. Thanks again.