The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  WTB Pedal Steel Guitar in Australia
Anthony Vandewalle

Hawks Nest, NSW, Australia
Post  Posted 18 May 2004 12:18 am    

I'm a classical guitar player but bought a Gibson Console Grande D8 about half a year ago which has given me great pleasure so far.
I'm now looking for a pedal steel guitar and in order to avoid the expense of freight, import duty and goods/services tax of an imported instrument I wonder if there are any Australian members who have/know of a pedal steel guitar for sale locally.

Dale Dorsey

Granger, Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2004 8:12 pm    

I see your new to steel guitar and wonder if you are familiar with Anapeg guitars in Austrailia? They are believed to be the finest out there by many and in your own back yard. I don't have the address but someone will post it for you. He normally is backed up for about two years but sometimes gets trades also. Noel Anstead, I believe. I'll look for his address and number if you are interested.

Anthony Vandewalle

Post  Posted 19 May 2004 12:05 am    

Thanks for your response Dale. I'm aware of Anapeg and his high quality guitars which is however reflected in the price. I had hoped for something a little bit more economical for starters.

Pat Kelly

Wentworthville, New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 19 May 2004 6:46 pm    

I spent a lot of time looking for a steel to buy locally and have since purchased from the States. From my experience the prices going for Steels in Australia is very high compared with what you can get on the forum or on E-bay. Also with the volume of steels being traded in the States, your choice is much better. The Carter Starter retails in Sydney for $AU1750. I will have bought and shipped a double necked ZB steel from the States for only a few hundred dollars more including taxes. The only D10 I was offered in Sydney had an asking price of $AU3500.

[This message was edited by Pat Kelly on 19 May 2004 at 07:48 PM.]

Chris Langman

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 19 May 2004 8:02 pm    

I've bought 3 Steels in from the States, with no trouble at all, much cheaper too. By the way there is no import duty payable on a steel. On a guitar there is, but because PSG has pedals it is classified differently, for some bizarre reason.....otherwise you could get in touch with George Xanos in Melbourne....good luck

------------------

Pat Kelly

Post  Posted 19 May 2004 8:27 pm    

Chris. Can you give any more detail on your experience with the import duty. Brendan Mitchell (also from Melbourne) advised me that he had to pay 5% import duty on the value of his ZB plus 10% GST on the total of value plus cost of shipping. Regards Pat K

Anthony Vandewalle

Post  Posted 20 May 2004 3:17 am    

Thanks Chris and Pat for your input.I'd be more than happy to import a US psg at market value provided one of the reputable members offers me one and warrants the condition and quality and is prepared to make the shipping arrangements. I would need to take whatever is offered on face value in terms of tone, construction quality and condition as there is no opportunity to take the thing for a test drive. So there is an element of risk,and more so with E-bay Anyway, I'm prepared to accept this risk and I'm looking for a D10 C6/E9 minimum 3+4 standard set up (to suit generally available instructional material), quality brand, lightly used vintage or newish psg. So, if any of the esteemed members think they can help, please pick up the thread.

Meanwhile, I have become quite mistified why it is that psg are as scarce as hen's teeth in Australia. Psg are abundant in USA and in relatively good supply in Europe but not in Oz. I would have thought that Australia with its "country" history would have readily embraced psg in its musical expressions. Why is it so? Anyone?

Anthony Vandewalle

Post  Posted 20 May 2004 3:56 am    

A S10 E9 would also be of interest.

Daniel J. Cormier

Lake Charles, LA, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2004 5:14 am    

How about a really nice Sho-Bud Pro III with 8 pedals & 5 knee levers all in great shape. Will give you a 30 day money back guarantee. May have this guitar ready to ship as early as Monday or Tuesday next week.$1800.00 USD

Anthony Vandewalle

Post  Posted 20 May 2004 2:40 pm    

Daniel,please check your email

Brendan Mitchell

Melbourne Australia
Post  Posted 20 May 2004 3:49 pm    

Chris
I would also like to hear how you buy PSG into OZ without having to pay duty & tax.I had to pay about $500 OZ when I imported a PSG.Good luck to Anthony.By the way Anthony,I bought a steel from Skip Mertz here on the forum and was more than happy with the transaction.
Regards Brendan

Pat Kelly

Post  Posted 21 May 2004 11:52 am    

Brendan. I attempted to e-mail you regarding Chris' import duty experience but your spam filter did not allow it through. Straight text with no attachments.

Regards Pat K

Anthony Vandewalle

Post  Posted 21 May 2004 1:23 pm    

Pat could you please copy me on your response to Brendan regarding import duty. Thanks.

Pat Kelly

Post  Posted 23 May 2004 9:31 am    

Note to Brendan: My second e-mail to you has also been rejected by your ISP mail server as SPAM. Check with your settings or your ISP. regards Pat.

Adrian Dunlop

Thornbury, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 24 May 2004 5:06 am    

Anthony, I also had a PSG shipped over from the states. Bought it from Dan Burnham from the forum, he was very helpful, no dramas. PSGs are rare as hens teeth here and $$$.

I'm also intrigued about the duty business...if anyone wants to let me in on the story.

Pat Kelly

Post  Posted 26 May 2004 11:26 am    

The story so far.... .
Overseas purchases of anything (not just PSG) attracts the standard GST which is levied on the declared value or where appropriate, the insured value and also on the cost of shipping. this is at the standard rate of 10%. Brendan Mitchell had warnd me that an import duty of 5% was also payable. Chris' contribution is that the 5% is not payable, as the PSG is quaintly listed with organs and harps rather than guitars because it has pedals. The GST is payable on anything with a value over $200. The obvious loop holes like getting some one to send it as a gift don't work as the tax is payable on gifts as well.

Further note to Brendan: Your ISP server is still blocking my e-mails. If it is blocking mail from Bigpond, the biggest ISP in the country, I'm not surprised that you seem to be having trouble with your mail.

Good luck to all and beat the tax
Pat K

[This message was edited by Pat Kelly on 26 May 2004 at 12:27 PM.]

Pat Kelly

Post  Posted 1 Jun 2004 1:43 am    

I picked up a ZB from the Fed-ex depot in Sydney today and no duty. Payed 10% GST on declared value and 10% on cost of shipping. Got out for less than $AUS200.