The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rickenbacker D-16 odd necks (Paging Richard Shatz)
Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2011 11:59 pm    

I've had this D-16 for about 20 years and I don't think I've seen another with attached aluminum necks like this has. I thought all of these without bakelite necks had the bodies and necks cast all as one piece. Note that the body is thicker on the upper neck and these necks are both "lower-body" thickness, so the neck only fits flush on the lower neck.

I chatted up John Hall of Rickenbacker at the NAMM Show and he said for a knowledgeable opinion, get hold of Richard Shatz. So, Richard and the Forum at large, ever seen another with attached metal necks?

There's no serial number but tuners are single-line Klusons with the shaft coming through the cover, so late '40s/early '50s, a clue reinforced by the ashtray headstock covers and tailpieces.

(Pardon the previous-owners' mods: painted fretmarker dots, nuts cut for a variety of string numbers and spacings, v/t knobs and ID historical info all over the bottom. This briefly belonged, late in life, to Billy Burkes, who in his younger days, played on more recordings with Jimmie Rodgers than any other player. He played western swing in Tucson for many years leading up to his passing in 1989.)

Richard Shatz

Quincy, IL, United States
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2011 7:51 am    

Ben,
I have never seen or heard of a DC-16 with attached metal necks. All of these that I have seen were as you described them. My reference books (Gruhn, Smith) make no mention of this variation. Perhaps it's a prototype
I thank Mr. Hall for complimenting my knowledge, but there are others on this forum that are much more knowledgeable than I, especially on the subject of doublenecks.
If this model were ever produced, there should be a photo in a catalog, and for that we need to consult Michael Lee Allen. His catalog collection might just hold the key.