The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  compare promats to emmons
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2011 10:50 am    

do the promats feel and sound exactly like emmons push-pulls? they look to be identical copies. are there differences? i'd like to hear from people who have played both. i've never seen a promat except in pictures.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2011 2:45 am    

Chris,

you can hear some sound clips on Promat web site...

Db

Andy Narzynski

New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2011 6:57 am     Emmons and Promats

This is my opinion on this subject. It always seems when ever a brand of pedal steel is compared to another the word Push Pull Emmons always comes up. There are many well built good steels out there that sound very good. I spend a lot of time reading new posts and old ones as well. Some things in life are fact and others are myths. When you hear the phrase that Tone or that sound we all know what it is you people are referrng to. Read the posts. Its really funny about the deal with the Black ones sounding the best. Out of all my steels, my Black Emmons Push Pull has the edge over them all.
Thanks Andy. Smile

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2011 7:00 am    

The ProMat is metric.

Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2011 7:14 am    

Funny Irv.. is metric a bad thing?
Many of my cars and bikes have been metric.

Andy, The usual discussion is about push pulls versus all pulls or hybrids.
This is about one push pull vs another.. from what we can see.. this is an Emmons clone

It seems that while some push pulls sound better than others, they all sound different than an all pull.

May some input from ProMat owners would help.

Andy Narzynski

New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2011 8:07 am     Emmons and Promats

Hi Bo,
sorry I didn't answer the Question correctly. Ive owned them both. Promats are a fine guitar . I happen to like the Emmons better for specific reasons do to my likings. Just my opinion, thats All I have to say.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2011 10:00 am    

sorry that's all you've got to say, andy. it was just those 'reasons, likings and opinions' i was looking for.

Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2011 7:44 pm    

exactly.. an opinion from someone who has played both

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2011 8:14 pm    

when I brought the very first Promat to US from Europe in 2004, Nick Reed was the very first person to see it and play it, we got his '66 bolt on and '71 cut tail push pulls right next to the Promat...what we found out was that Promat had the true push pull tone as his '66 bolt on, the only difference was that Promat was tight and new, the tone on both guitars was truly amazing push pull tone... after Bobbe played this guitar he said it felt like a brand new push pull but with a better push pull tone than Emmons push pull itself...now, I prefer Promat because Mr.Papic is dear old friend of mine and that guitar was built for me personaly, so it has a huge emotional value to me, never the less, the Emmons push pull is an awesome guitar ( as well as Emmons all pull) by all means. I just prefere Promat myself. but that is my opinion, other guys who tryed both guitars might agree or disagree with me, and that's ok... while those two brands are very close mechanicly and in appearance, they are still two different guitars, and some people may prefere one over the other....

me and Nick in 2004 at my house with our guitars '04 Promat, '66 Emmons and '71 Emmons

I would like to take this oportunity to ,once more, thank Bobbe Seymour for all of his help and support he showed for Promat. If it wasn't for Bobbe , I would have been, until this day, probably the only steel player in US that plays a Promat guitars. Mr. Papic didn't built many guitars but he sure did enjoy making those few for those players who wanted them. Once again, thank you Bobbe for all you did for Promat guitars, and may God bless you.

solid_ground.wma
recording I did at the Nashville studio years ago for a friend of mine Stephen Cochran using my D-10 Promat guitar...
Nashville session 1
another session
Nashville session 2
here you can hear smooth C6 tone of Promat guitar

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2011 10:54 am    

I have to add one more thing, all three of those recordings were done with guitar going directly into the board, there was no amp used, and also there was not much time for any tinkering with tone, it was pretty much one take while reading charts...classic session situation..

Db

Larry Hamilton

Keller, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2011 4:04 pm    

Damir,IF and I do mean IF the Promat needed a some part, would an Emmons PP part work or would you have to get the part from Promat? Been looking at the Promat lately and trying to do some research.

Thanks for your time.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2011 6:11 pm    

Larry Hamilton wrote:
Damir,IF and I do mean IF the Promat needed a some part, would an Emmons PP part work or would you have to get the part from Promat? Been looking at the Promat lately and trying to do some research.

Thanks for your time.

Larry,

Promat is known for their good communication with customers and I never heard of anyone having an issue while ordering any parts. Would Emmons parts fit on the Promat..? I don't know, I'm not a push pull mechanic but if I would have to guess I would say no, Promat is metric and that is probably why not..but even tho, the parts are not interchangable, any good push/pull mechanic who knows his way around Emmons push pull, can work on Promat guitars with his eyes closed...Hope this helps, if you have any, and I mean ,any questions, you can contact Promat directly thru their web site....thank you for your interest...

Db

Dave Diehl

Mechanicsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2011 4:31 pm    

The parts are not interchangable because of the differences in the metric measure used on the Promat. I can tell you however that when you deal with Mr. Papic, he will support your every need as a customer. I didn't need replacement parts but wanted some extra parts. I asked Mr. Papic about them and without question, I had them. So you would not have a problem getting parts from him if you need them. Mr. Papic takes care of his customers. As for comparing the Promat against the Push Pull, I have one of both and they are both great guitars. A few small differences but both are exceptional.

Larry Hamilton

Keller, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2011 4:40 pm    

Damir, Thanks for your reply. I never thought about it being metric, but it makes sense. I am sure doing some serious scheming. Since so many cars have metric sized nuts and bolts I have a few metric tools should I need to do a minor adjustment. Whew, I'm thinking. Thanks again for your time.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2011 4:57 pm    

no problem, you are welcome, I can try to help as much as I can but I'm not a push pull mechanic so my knowledge about mechanics is very limited...

Db

Carl Vilar

New Jersey USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2011 5:23 pm    

Having owned both brands I can say that they are both great well built guitars and both have tons of tone but I found the Promat to have a warmer tone and sweeter mid tones at least to my ears.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2011 6:54 pm    

Carl Vilar wrote:
Having owned both brands I can say that they are both great well built guitars and both have tons of tone but I found the Promat to have a warmer tone and sweeter mid tones at least to my ears.

yes, I agree, Promat tone comes out really wonderful if you pick strings little further up the neck...

Db

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2011 12:48 am    

Where does Mr. Papic get his fretboards?

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2011 5:07 am    

Stephen Gambrell wrote:
Where does Mr. Papic get his fretboards?

Stephen, I have no clue, the only thing I know is that he goes around old mountain sawmills and looks for old maple, many of his guitars are made of 30+ years old maple ...

Db