The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mackie powered active subs
Brad Issendorf

Lake City, Minnesota
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2010 11:32 am    

I realize that this isn't a steel guitar question but do any of you have any experience with using Mackie SWA 1801 or later similar models. Any sound or reliabilty issues. All comments, good and bad welcome.
Thanks Brad

Rick Kreuziger

Merrillan, Wisconsin
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2010 7:40 pm    

Hi Brad,

I haven't worked with the Mackie powered subs, but did have a nightmare of a time with one of my HD1531's...
woofer puked after 3 shows. Let out a squeal & fried it. Sent in for warranty repair, woofer was on national backorder.
3 months later I finally get it back & it lasted for 2 minutes before doing the exact same thing. After they offered to repair it again, I insisted they sent a new speaker (which has been ok so far). Took them months to finally pick up the bad speaker... we had to take the initiative to get it picked up after they couldn't seem to handle getting it expedited and started billing us for the new speaker.
Two weeks ago the speaker got picked up and now they're
sending past due threats and asking for tracking proof of the speaker being picked up! (bought them last April). Really a disorganized company. We must have spent 8 hrs. on the phone with them so far.
So months of headaches and rented gear... ended up buying a second pair of QSC HPR153i's so we had ones that worked and could be counted on. They've been flawless and sound excellent. (We're using a DriveRack with them).

I have a friend with a pair of the SWA Mackie powered subs. He had a cracked magnet problem on one and another blown driver, I believe it was. He was satisfied with their warranty coverage.

So, IMO, good sounding gear with poor reliability.
For powered subs, I'd be looking at Yorkville or something else.

Brad Issendorf

Lake City, Minnesota
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2010 9:50 pm    

Good to know. If you go onto websites that review products and companies, you get responces all over the boards; no real patterns. Thought I would try the SGF to get some honest feedback.

Thanks for the responce Rick, should try to catch up with you someday. Brad

Alvin Blaine

Picture Rocks, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2010 11:43 pm    

I used to play an outdoor gig that had all Mackie powered speakers and the biggest problem we had was the thermal shut down. If the temp got over 100 degrees(like half the year in Vegas) they would shut down.
Just looking at the specs on those subs, they have a built in crossover that runs them at 45 Hz to 120 Hz. I always run my 18's at 40 Hz to 80Hz and never push anything over 90 Hz to them.
At 120Hz you have the low strings on electric & acoustic guitars and the low strings on steel running though the subs and getting a muddy booming tone. If you have a separate crossover, or a Driverack, then you can adjust all of that and clean 'em up.

Something in the same price range as those Mackie subs are the JBL PRX618S-XLF They are 1000 watts, crossover at 90Hz, and street price around $1200.

Rick Kreuziger

Merrillan, Wisconsin
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2010 4:37 am    

Yes, Alvin, very true.
I had one cutting out in a club with air temps of only 70 degrees; you have to keep them at least a foot off the wall for ventilation, or they'll overheat. We use the Mackie's just for long rooms midway out, where the throw from the mains are falling off.

Rick