The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  B Black's steel in 1976?
Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2010 3:01 pm    

I just got back my copy of We've Got A Live One Here from Commander Cody in 1976. I had forgotten the monster tone Bobby Black had there.

Does anyone know what guitar he was playing? I think it may have been a Sho~Bud Pro II. But I dont know. Into a Twin Reverb, probably?

If you've not heard this record...even if you think the Commander was in space...you will be shocked at the sheer mastery and tone of Mr. Black. JMHO
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Walter Bowden

Wilmington, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2010 4:56 pm    

Hey Rick. I agree; this is a great live set from a truly bonafied kick a** band and Mr. Black's playing is HUGE and a big part of their sound and show.

Listening to it definitely reminds me of a time when a lot of us were lost in the ozone and loving it. It still makes me happy when I listen to it.
Best wishes, Walter

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2010 7:03 pm    

Walter,
Yeah, the scene turns many traditional country fans away. I can't help but laugh out loud, in absolute joy, when I hear some of this record. Unreal! Not just Bobby, but the Fiddle player, Guitar...Bill Kirchen. BTW, Bill is WAY better now! Man, he murders his Tele!!!!

So they smoked some weed? Is that any reason to disregard their contribution to serious steel-heavy music? And! Introducing a generation to serious country, western swing and 50's rock?

Eric Clapton did the same thing for first generation blues artists, or, at least first generation electric-blues artists.

Listen...listen... Very Happy

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2010 8:38 pm    

It was either a ShoBud Pro II or an Emmons D12 push pull. The amp was either one of those ShoBud 100 watt amps or a Session 400.

Sorry I can't be more definitive, but I didn't become Bobby's doppleganger until '79.

Archie Nicol

Ayrshire, Scotland
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2010 3:10 am    

When they recorded Tales From The Ozone in 1975, Bobby had the Emmons. When I saw them live in Feb' 1976 he was playing it through a Peavey.

Arch.

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2010 10:04 am    

Archie!

This album was recorded in two nights in 1976. Hammersmith Oden, London, England January 25th and Oxford Polytechnic, Oxford, England Feb 2.

Were you at the Feb 2nd show???

Thanks for the replies guys Very Happy Very Happy

Archie Nicol

Ayrshire, Scotland
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2010 3:53 pm    

I saw them in Glasgow later that month as part of the same tour. The place was half empty so I changed seats to position myself in front of Bobby. He looked so cool playing those fast licks with a cigarette in his right hand. The Tales album was for sale in the foyer.
One of the best gigs I ever attended.

Arch.

Jeff Hyman

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2010 10:54 pm    

I'm pretty sure it was a Black Emmons. Cowboy Jazz opened for Cody at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz back in the mid 70's and Bobby was re-stringin' a Black Emmons. I wouldn't put my life on it... but the Black Emmons and the name Black was a cool combo. He tore it up, and was a very friendly and congenial guy. It's been a long time ago.

Olaf van Roggen

The Netherlands
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2010 3:49 am     Live cd 1973-1975

Actually there is a double live cd from The Armadillo World Headquarters 1973 and The Capitol Theatre 1975.
Bobby Black even plays an instrumental on the 1975 cd called :"Steel Guitar Slide" this is a fantastic cd...the photo at the cd shows Bobby and his Black Emmons in 1975 and a Sho-Bud at 1973.

Chris Reesor

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2010 4:43 am     Cody and the gang

Saw these guys in late '74 at the Commodore in Vancouver.... one of the best shows I've ever seen.
I think it wasn't (yet) BB on steel; I read somewhere that he took over the steel chair later. Andy Stein, I believe, was the fiddler, and Kirchen, of course, was on lead guitar.
What a hot band! I'm sure everyone there had a total blast.
I really dig that live album too. Time to haul out some old vinyl for a spin.

CR.

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2010 5:44 am    

If I'm even in the ballpark on this...I'm thinking that V. Creeper was only with them for a short time; Bobby came in for a couple of years; around '73 Bobby went to Gnashville, but played several live gigs while Ernie Hagar played; Bobby came back in '75-'76

Gentlemen, I was born in Seventy... Laughing

Russell Nugent

LA (lower Alabama)
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2010 7:00 am    

I saw them in Boston, I think in 74. Jimmy Day was playing with them at that show.

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2010 7:43 am    

Jimmy Day was in the band for only a few weeks! That's a rare sighting. I think Rick has the rest of the story.

That double live album is my favorite CC album too. When I was first learning steel I would be trying to cop those B. Black licks off that record. Wore out the vinyl but now it's on CD. There are a few outtakes from those concerts somewhere (not on the cd though).

Dave Very Happy

Robert Fleming

Camden, NY
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2010 2:43 am     Bobby Black's Steel in '76

The Commander just posted to Facebook last night a song with Bobby on it and his playing sounds great. Its John Tichy singing his song "Daddy's Drinking Up Our Christmas". Check it out on George Frayne's page. It was released only as a 45 on Dot Records though. I must have had the record long ago cause I sure remember the tune. What tone!!!!
Stage One PSG, Old Deluxe Reverb,Peavey Session 500,Nashville Telecaster, Alvarez Yari DY62 Cedar Top acoustic, Alvarez AJ-60-12 acoustic 12 string, Larivee OM-3 Acoustic, Harmony MOTS lap steel, Magnatone MOTS lap steel, Gibson BR-9 lap steel, Andy Hintons coated picks, Ernie Cawby's amp stand, Sharp Covers Nashville Amp and Guitar covers

Eddie Juke

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2010 8:58 am     Bobby Black

Hi there

Some pictures of Bobby Black on the rear covers of Commander Cody Albums, in 1975 he's playing an Emmons, before that Sho Buds in 72 & 73

Eddie

Don Drummer

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2010 9:27 am    

That's WV creeper, Rick. Very Happy

Joe Shelby

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2010 4:51 pm    

Bobby got the D-12 Emmons while working with Barbara Mandrell in Nashville. That would most likely have been 1973-1974.

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2010 8:08 pm    

West Virginia Creeper, the name taken by Cody's first steel player. He popped up on the Forum last year. Steve Davis is his given name.

Glen Derksen

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2010 10:15 pm    

I didn't know about CC until I bought the 'We've Got A Live One Here' album in 1982. At first I was blown away by Bill's lead playing, but then I really liked Bobby's steel playing later. After that album I bought every CC album I could find.

Archie Nicol

Ayrshire, Scotland
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2010 4:56 pm    

You get a nice view of Bobby's Emmons in this little video;

'scuse language

Arch.

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2010 5:35 pm    

ARCH!! I saw this a couple o' years back and forgot it. D12 for sure. Great tune! Thanks

David Rupert

Mesa, Arizona (via Mahopac, NY & Missouri).
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2010 3:06 am     Emmons D-12

Bobby Black, is one of my favorite steel players!! I've met him, a few times...& he was always very hospitable.

He was playing a Black, Emmons D-12...in that time period. 1976...

I've been told, that Bobby never really got use to the D-12, & actually removed the 11th & 12th strings...after awhile. Does anyone know, if this the case?

Anyway, "We've got a Live One Here"...is an excellent CD. I love his lead, on Eighteen Wheels! Killer stuff. A steel player friend of mine, swears he hears the steel being "overdubbed" on that lead. I don't hear it. Shocked It doesn't matter anyway, if it was. It sounds GREAT!! Smile

"Music. Without it, life itself...would be impossible."

ZumSteel - Encoreâ„¢ S-10 / 3p x 5k (Two-Tone; Red & Black Top).
Rolandâ„¢ Cube 80x Amp, Hilton Volume Pedal, TC Electronicsâ„¢ Flashbackâ„¢ Delay, TC Electronicsâ„¢ MojoMojoâ„¢ Overdrive, Peterson StroboPlus HD Tuner, D2F Covers. Evans JE-300 Amp. (in the not too distant future).

Most Importantly: the musicians hands...& soul.

http://www.bandmix.com/pedal-steel-75/

Dave Ristrim

Whites Creek, TN
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2010 4:12 am    

I'm pretty sure Bobby had two Emmons D12's back then. One was Black, the other a burst of some color (green I think). I remember Bobby telling me that either one or both were stolen while on tour with CC when someone stole the equipment trailer. He had to borrow a different steel in every town to complete the tour. So, someone out there may own one of Bobby's D12s.
I hope Bobby is okay with me telling this story.

Robert Fleming

Camden, NY
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2010 3:51 am     B Blak's Steel in 76?

Well if the steel was stolen does whoever has it really own it? Maybe he or she is a Forum member and will feel guilty and get it back to its rightful owner. Who knows? Stranger things have happenned right?
Stage One PSG, Old Deluxe Reverb,Peavey Session 500,Nashville Telecaster, Alvarez Yari DY62 Cedar Top acoustic, Alvarez AJ-60-12 acoustic 12 string, Larivee OM-3 Acoustic, Harmony MOTS lap steel, Magnatone MOTS lap steel, Gibson BR-9 lap steel, Andy Hintons coated picks, Ernie Cawby's amp stand, Sharp Covers Nashville Amp and Guitar covers

Archie Nicol

Ayrshire, Scotland
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2010 4:18 pm    

David Rupert; I remember when I bought the CD to replace the vinyl, I could hear some echoish steel on Milk Cow Blues. I will now need to retrieve the album from whoever borrowed it so I can listen again!

Arch.

p.s.
Don't let people borrow stuff.