The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Thomas Pedal Steel Guitars
Ted Nesbitt

Northern Ireland
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2010 4:46 am    

Can anyone give me some history or details of the Thomas steel guitar co. I have just bought one of these guitars (SD10) and I must say they are very well built. From what I hear on the grapevine, these instruments are no longer made!

Lets hear from some of the "Thomas" owners.

Alexander Douglas

Belfast, N. Ireland
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2010 6:30 am    

ted,
get in touch with gerry hogan,he inported them a few years back, alex

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2010 10:31 am    

thomas steels were very well made, good instruments. barry thomas made them for a few years in california. do a search on thomas steels...there has been a fair amount of discussion about them here on the forum.

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2010 12:29 pm    

Ted,
I'll make it short ... there very well built guitars even to todays standards..
Sound, great, or as great as your hands
don'r worry , it's a rock Solid Guitar..

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2010 2:36 pm    

They are good ...
show us a photograph.

John Coffman

Wharton,Texas USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2010 4:48 pm     Thomas steels

I have owned 5 each. still have two I agree with David W. Solid as a rock and sustain that will last. I have loved all the ones I owned. Best of luck and enjoy the ride.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2010 10:47 pm    

Barry Thomas is a multi-millionaire who built steels as a hobby, rather than as a profession. He had a state of the art, totally computerized workshop, with which he could design a part on his computer and and have it milled out, the way we can create a word document and have it printed out.

He used the finest materials he could buy with his immense wealth, and his goal was not to support himself, but to build a truly superior steel guitar that would be ranked up there as one of the very best.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2010 2:02 pm    

Barry made a great guitar. I was about to order one when he quit making them. What was "state of the art" about his machine shop was his ideas and machining expertise, not the machines. His Bridgeport CNC mills were very old and obsolete. I ran the service department for the Bridgeport distributor in Northern California for 8 years, ending in 2001, and at the time I started the job, Bridgeport had already stopped supporting those machines. I believe his machines were all BOSS 5 and BOSS 7 controlled CNC's. The senior service tech at the company used to work for Bridgeport, when they had offices around the country including one here in Fremont, and still had some old PC boards for those machines. He would service Barry's machines when needed. Barry's talent made those machines work for him. Of course, I felt those machines were far better that the Bridgeport machines that came later. When they went to PC controls (IBM compatible computer - called the SX and DX control), they went to Hell, a big part of the reason Bridgeport went out of business. We had more problems with Bridgeport CNC's than ALL other manufacturers we represented COMBINED.

I wish he still made guitars, I miss the calls he would make to me at work. We would discuss steel guitar for an hour each time. Brilliant man.

Greg Wisecup

Troy, Ohio
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2010 1:08 pm    

I had a D10. Great guitar. I talked to Barry 2 years ago. He was at that time gearing up to build again. Here's the last # I have for him. 405-248-2143
He's proud of what he did. He'll spend a ton of time with you on the phone. Great guy!
/Nashville 400
RV-3/ Zoom MS-50G
As long as I'm down in the mix I'm Fantastic!

Jack Ritter

Enid, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2010 1:21 pm    

He was living in Chickasha, Okla and may still be there. Jack

Greg Wisecup

Troy, Ohio
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2010 1:23 pm    

Sorry. His number is/was 1-405-248-2143
/Nashville 400
RV-3/ Zoom MS-50G
As long as I'm down in the mix I'm Fantastic!

Monty Wendling

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2015 7:21 pm     thomas pedal steel

barry is in Chickasha Oklahoma, i live here as well. i had the pleasure of meeting him and i must say he is a remarkable individual. our late discussions were concerning
the manufacturing of his guitars again real soon, in fact i'm in line for the 1st. I'm sure very soon Thomas s.g.'s will be available

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2015 3:56 am    

I currently own a first generation D-10, mica covered body with wood necks. Next to my SKH Emmons, best sounding guitar that I own and as mentioned, sustain for days! Only negative, a bit on the heavy side (which may account in part for its superior sustaining ability). Built like tanks, should serve you well.

Bruce Wandmayer

Sedona, AZ
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2017 10:21 pm     Thomas PSG Vertical Knee Lever

I've acquired a Thomas U-12. It doesn't have a case, and as the previous owner has passed on, I'm unlikely to locate his.

I'm going to have one made, but the guitar has a vertical knee lever that sticks up (or down, depending on if the guitar is in the case or set up) a few inches from the body whether folded or ready for action. That will make the case much thicker than it really needs to be.

Does anyone have a picture of a Thomas with a vertical knee that looks different? I'd like to get this straightened out before dealing with the case situation.

Thanks for any help.

Wayne Baker

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2017 2:04 pm     Thomas Steel guitar

I live close to Chickasha. I have been told that Mr. Thomas is getting a building to start manufacturing steel guitars again. This is second hand info, and I do not know Mr. Thomas.

Wayne Baker
Show Pro D10 (#217) w9&7, Emmons D10 (#6613) w8&5, Nashville 1000, Nashville 400, Beard E model reso, Dobro and a Martin D41...

chuck abend

Kansas City,Mo.64155 U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2020 6:00 pm     Thomas D10

I have the Dallas couboy Show Display model D10.
Heavy as heck,but a great steel.
Mine is a 8 and 8 Day setup that I rebuilt with split cases
and new high teck Al imatone pickups on both necks.

chuck Abend Kansas city mo
countrysteel633@gmail.com