The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Session 400 settings
Gene LaFleur

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2010 4:03 am    

I have a peavey session 400 amp. Using it with a Fender 400 psg. Would appreciate any info on the settings. Thanks very much. Gene (newbie)

Roger Dillingham

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2010 1:37 pm     Settings on Session 400

Hey Gene, I don't have a Session 400, but I do have a LTD 400 (same amp in smaller cabinet), my settings are as follows:

Volume 1 1/2
Presence 5
Treble 3 1/2
Middle 2
Shift 7
Bass 8 1/2
Reverb 4 (When in amp reverb used) <Mostly use
Boss RV-2 Digital Reverb)
Depth 0
Rate 0
Sensitivity 3

These are my settings for practice or playing in the home, naturally in a live performance or with a band the Volume & Sensitivity would be somewhat higher. These settings sound best to me, but feel free to experiment and adjust to your taste. Good luck. Roger Smile Smile

Gene LaFleur

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2010 3:30 am     Session 400 settings

Hello Roger. Thanks very much for sharing your personal setting. I will gladly try them out. Thanks again for your help. Gene

Bobby Snell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2010 3:58 pm    

Hi Gene, I'd agree with Roger's starting points. I've got an old Session with the JBL in storage now, but it is a sweet sounding amp that I used on stage and in the studio numerous times.

It's surprisingly sensitive to tweaking the knobs, so be prepared to do that as you progress with your technique.

The Sensitivity and Volume knobs are IIRC the pre-amp and power amp controls. The Volume at 1.5 would be for limiting the overall volume of the amp. Sessions are loud when this goes up above 5!

Roger's setting of 3 is a good starting point for getting good signal level going to the pre-amp, but your Fender might need a little higher number. The trick is not to overdrive the pre-amp into the power-amp, so make sure you're not getting a distorted sound if your Sensitivy knob is up further than your Volume knob.

The 3 active tone knobs are Presence, Treble, and Bass. These will be flat at 5, while cutting or boosting below and above 5. Think of the Presence as a high treble, and the Treble as high mids. Notice Roger has a flat treble with the Presence at 5; he's letting all the pickup's higher frequencies be sent through, while the Treble at 3.5 is cutting some of the high mids. He's also boosting the bass to fill out the bottom.

The Mid and Shift work together. Setting the Shift at 7 sets the "aiming point" of the midrange you will affect at what many players consider the "honky" mids. When Roger has his Mid knob at 2, he is cutting those a lot, to get more of a scooped sound, in conjunction with the bass boost.

I've never heard Roger play, but I would bet he gets a nice smooth sound with those settings.

The important thing is to experiment as you learn how to use your guitar. Again, the Fender pickups are a little different sounding than more modern guitars.

Have fun playing a cool Fender through a cool amp!

Gene LaFleur

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2010 7:33 am     Session 400 settings

Hi Bobby I enjoyed reading your article very much. This is more than I can grasp. Will enjoy trying it out. Any other responce will greatly appreciated. Thanks again. Sure do enjoy the Psg forum. Gene