The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel players that featured with the Florida Boys Quartet
Marcus Provis

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2010 8:22 pm    

One of my favorite Southern Gospel Quartets is the Florida Boys, and I have found they have some very tasteful steel playing on many of their LP's. I understand three of the Steel players they had over the years were Pete Drake, Weldon Myrick, and Sonny Garrish, however, I wondered if some of you guys out there may know of other players that played for them on their records. I have one Florida Boys LP that has playing on it that sounds like John Hughey?

Steve Alonzo Walker

Spartanburg,S.C. USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2010 3:07 am    

Larry Orr, Tommy Dodd, and Bobby Boggs were doing the Steel work on sessions at Mark Five Studios in Greenville, South Carolina at that time when The Florida Boys were recording there.

Last edited by Steve Alonzo Walker on 17 Aug 2010 5:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Michael Douchette

Gallatin, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2010 4:17 am    

Me.

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/

Marcus Provis

Post  Posted 17 Aug 2010 1:59 pm     Steel players that featured with the Florida Boys Quartet

Very Happy Thanks guys, I had a feeling there must have been some other players that recorded with them. There's some great playing on those records that's for sure. I probably have about 2/3rds of the Florida Boy's LP albums from the late '50s thru to about '84.

I just found a youtube clip with Larry Orr playing steel with the Blue Ridge Quartet...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg9RuUT-2wk

Tommy Dodd

Acworth, Ga., USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2010 3:24 pm    

Steve, Thanks for remembering me.....finally. I was on 3 or 4 Florida Boys albums that were cut at Mark V Studios between March of 1972 and June of 1977. That was my tenure in the steel chair after Larry Orr went on the road and before Bobby Boggs slid into my spot when I moved to Atlanta. Great studio and players. Those years hold some of my fondest music memories for sure!

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2010 8:28 pm    

I would not be surprised at all if John Hughey played on some of their records after they started recording in Nashville. I played on one or two. 1974ish I guess. FWIW I turned 16 in 1974.

bb

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2010 8:49 pm    

Tommy, your post got me thinking. Not the Florida Boys. But another group I recorded with from Florida. Sent me this picture a few months back. This should bring back a few memories for you and several other Forum members that recorded there either as staff or a member of one the 100's groups that passed through those doors.
bb

Marcus Provis

Post  Posted 19 Aug 2010 3:58 pm     Steel players that featured with the Florida Boys Quartet

Wow thanks guys, it's great to have heard from some of the actual steel players that were on their records... I have all the records during the '73 to '79 period, so I'm sure to have been listening to your playing on there...

Ernest Cawby

Lake City, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2010 4:55 am     hi

The Dixie Echoes are from Pensacola also, Billy Dale Sexton played with them on steel, I also did one record part of one record with them on steel, the album southern Gospel. Billy Dale is a very good steel player also sang with them.

ernie

Marcus Provis

Post  Posted 20 Aug 2010 3:14 pm     Dixie Echoes

Hi Ernie, would Billy Dale have played on an album in the late '60's? I have an Album entitled "In Times Like These" and it has some very nice steel work on it. One track has the Organ sound with the steel.
I will keep an eye out for the Southern Gospel album.

Marcus

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2010 12:53 am    

Bobby,

is that TD and yourself on the left side in the photo you posted?

Ernest Cawby

Lake City, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2010 8:50 am     hi

He played with them in 1972, taht is when I bought my Shobud and took lessons from him.

ern