Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Talking about cable guitars
Bill Howard

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2010 7:35 am    

Bill Howard wrote:
[/img]
This is the Monster Ball Links thread pull Rod put these in Bell Crank You would not believe the difference in the Smoothness of playing it will make

I [osted a message with this that did not post.
Harlin Brothers used Cables in late 40's with Multi Chords I also think Harps used a cable system also, fender looks like they over killed this system,some cross shafts would have been better....
I put these links on My LL2 it made it play like you would not believe...

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2010 7:58 am    

richard burton wrote:
Bill,
Can you do your magic with this one ? Very Happy

Splendid concept, Richard. Just that the CONFORMIST keyhead defies the whole idea, now does it? Very Happy

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2010 5:02 am    

Bill Howard,

Those ball hitches are designed for everything from boat trailer tow bars to bulldozer trailer I-beam "hookups". Some bands assign one member to tow the sound equipment to areas to fill their bookings. They become very necessary, unless a 5th wheel type of hitch is employed. Incrementally, the ball joint principle is of standard usefulness, including those similar to carburetor linkages, and used on the floor pedals of the pedal steel guitars. Bizarros, is the word for the day! The ERECTOR SET steel guitar pictured, and submitted by RICHARD BURTON is an imposing sight to behold. It's anchored into the minds of those who opt for beauty and finished products.

Last edited by Bill Hankey on 7 Aug 2010 6:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Allan Munro

Pennsylvania, USA and Scotland
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2010 5:51 am    

richard burton wrote:

Enough with the teaser already! The devil is in the details! We need the co-pedant at the very least. Is it a pull-release? Sound bite please...
Seriously though - that is one of the best pics I have seen on this forum - ever!

Television is the REAL opiate of the masses!

Bill Howard

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2010 7:36 am     Litterary

Bill your litterary accomplishments are indeed something to behold.
However When I'm playing a gig behind Chicken wire with some Drunk hollering "Lynard Skynard" I'm more concerned about safety first then how my Steel plays.
First of all those ball swivels are small little critters (common man term).Trailer Hitches are a bit larger. This design has been around a long time, it has been used for joints in the Human body for years.... There are several things incorporating this design that have multiple uses.There are also other things with several uses.. Toilet Paper is a perfect example. it can be used to stop hemorrages created by razors, To dry your hands when they have those air dryers,blow your nose(another common man term).Actually Bill the list for TP use are endless. One would think that finding a PHD in english would be better suited with another genre forum. trying to compete with litterary giants such as yourself seems fruitless especially to someone like me with a 9th grade education.
But Bill I do consider myself a pretty fair Musician,I have taught Automatic Transmission 101 and advanced repair at a local trade school,Play 5 instruments really well,One of the best artery clogging Cooks around, My Biscuits and Gravy are some of the best. Just not sure what Shakespeare has to do with Pedal Steel Guitar cables or Ball links:).
Well have atter Bill:) Cousin to Carl on Slingblade
MMMM Hmmmmm French fried PA-TATERS

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2010 7:41 am    

Allan,

That multifaceted ERECTOR steel framework semblably constructed by who knows whom, is fraught with conjectural aspects. Nonetheless, it is a conversation piece, as it cries out for a master craftsman to put the finishing touches to what appears to be a hopeless situation. Seriously, all at once the erector set reminded me of CARLO COLLODI'S "PINOCCHIO". Published originally by A.L.BURT, NEW YORK. Illustrated by CHARLES FOLKARD, the amazing story was created from a piece of wood. Who would think that in the hands of a skilled craftsman, that erector set could be transformed into a playable steel guitar? We are constantly searching for answers that may NEVER be answered.

Last edited by Bill Hankey on 7 Aug 2010 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total

Bill Howard

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2010 8:18 am     Quotes

Bill Hankey wrote:
Allan,

That multifaceted ERECTOR steel framework semblaby constructed by who knows whom, is fraught with conjectural aspects. Nonetheless, it is a conversation piece, as it cries out for a master craftsman to put the finishing touches to what appears to be a hopeless situation. Seriously, all at once the erector set reminded me of CARLO COLLODI'S "PINOCCHIO". Published originally by A.L.BURT, NEW YORK. Illustrated by CHARLES FOLKARD, the amazing story was created from a piece of wood. Who would think that in the hands of a skilled craftsman, that erector set could be transformed into a playable steel guitar? We are constantly searching for answers that may NEVER be answered.

Yabba Dabba Doo, Frederick Flintstone
Well do you feel lucky Punk? Clint Eastwood
Yippy Kiy yay ^%$#@ *&^%$# Bruce Willis
Well you you Dirty Dozen Richard Jaeckel
Listen here you slob you slob John Cassevetes

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2010 8:38 am    

J.D. Sauser,

I think any of the viewers would agree that the erector assemblies are unworkable as finished products. They appear to defy all approaches that conform to proper construction.

Stephen Silver

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2010 9:14 am    

"Hey Harry, you know we're sitting on four million pounds of fuel, one nuclear weapon, and something that has two hundred thousand moving parts...all built by the lowest bidder. Makes you feel good, doesn't it?"
---Steve Buscemi in Armageddon

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2010 3:21 am    

I kicked myself for drifting to the left, when there is so much good to be found in the company of those who are positive influences. I suspect that negative modes are responsible for the lack of enthusiasm that is required to assist in a project, such as building a pedal steel guitar from "scratch". Admittedly, surges of newfound energies have the potential to propel our eagerness to be creative, from the "La-Z-Boy" to the workbench. Striving for industrious practices, I've found, will keep us a safe distance from doleful positions.

New ideas are slow in becoming forethought, remaining just below developmental stages to solutions of problems. Activities stimulate the mind's "eye". I have concluded that new ideas to improve a situation, are stumbled upon. Inventions are not planned. They occur by chance. I've most recently "stumbled" onto something "new" in concepts that may have been overlooked among steel guitarists. There is a thin line between the hidden, and the obvious.

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2010 7:46 am    

Thoughts For The Day:

A steel guitar is a BASTION of springs. Without their use, they would collapse into a heap of metal and wood. Their mundane appearances partially hidden from view by artistic personages who play as well as they build. B. Emmons and M. Anderson fit into that category of phenoms who relied on resistances of expansion springs. Who could argue that point?

Henry Songer

Wyoming, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2010 9:52 am     Talking about cable guitars.

Bill, It appears you have a penchent for evading the issues by changing the subject. In my opinion you are all gurgle and no guts. In other words sir, you shoot more crap than a Chinese turd gun. You have been asked numerous times to post pics or sound bites but you seem to wiggle out of it. I do think you would make one hell of a polition. Henry

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2010 12:13 pm    

Henry,

Not nearly so Henry. I spent yesterday, and most of today making some changes on my steel. Trying to locate a camera buff who isn't tied up in some other fish market can be a drag. This will come together Henry. I'm not running away from letting the good times roll. Thanks for checking in today.

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2010 2:53 pm    

My cable fenders have served me well, and as for problems with soldered joints, NO, just once in almost 50 years. If you own a Fender 400, 800, 1000 or 2000, then adjusting them becomes second nature. Sloppy feel on the pedals or added levers is just down to lack of "Know How". There IS a positive stop for the pedal, and knee levers can be made with positive stops, I know, I am that soldier. as for how, see:-

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2010 5:55 pm    

Basilh,

Interesting pulleys displayed in the photo. You said one cable slippage in 50 years. Wow! That's incredible! I notice the recesses are longer than the pulleys Leo Fender ordered for my Fender 1000. I no longer have the instrument. If a player trounces on the Fender pedals for 50 years, and reports only one mishap, I've been mislead. I appreciate your certified credentials, but something is missing in this report. I know you are totally honest in every regard, and I'm not hinting otherwise. I think the time spent pedaling is where the shoe pinches.

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2010 12:44 am    

OK Bill, the time spent pedalling is most relevant:-
So as an example, my band and I played at The Castaways night club from 1965 to 1969, 6 days a week from 8pm to 2am. probably averaging 5 hours playing, in any given 3 minute tune I would activate pedals 1,2,3,4,5, individually of in combination a minimum of once every 5 seconds (Check out my YouTube videos and see the way I play) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HTJXZOZskA (Not the best example)
So, 12 times per minute X 60 (1 Hour) X 5 (per night) X 312(days/nights) X 4 (Years) = 4,492,800

In actuality I play pedals 1+2 and 4+5 in combination more frequently than individual pedals so the figure is probably two thirds higher than the one given here.

Mean time failure rate of 1/4,492,800 WAY beyond "Mil Spec"
And that's only a 4 year period, what about since ?

http://www.chanos-isgf.org/ForumESG/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=86&p=197

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2010 2:48 am    

basilh

Excellent vocals, and playing on the Fender Steel.
Your reports should not be thought of by advocates of ROD usage as remotely incidental. Your sincere accounts of cable reliability and trustworthiness should effectively grab the attention of those born to a nonadaptive defying saturation of tendencies, which includes ignoring facts put before them. Those who tend to be fickle and inconsistent seem to wedge themselves into a neutral crevice, where they emerge whenever strong points are made, such as the cable/rod scrutiny. Your attestation should effectively corroborate the claims made of cable usefulness. This should eliminate the null and void assertions made to the contrary.

Last edited by Bill Hankey on 9 Aug 2010 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Michael Lee Allen

Portage Park / Irving Park, Chicago, Illinois
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2010 6:08 am    

Removed.

Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 26 Feb 2011 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2010 6:31 am    

Michael Lee Allen,

Thanks for presenting the interesting picture. All kinds of wonderments cascade from rare photos, such as the one you've introduced. Could the gentlemen standing behind the steel guitarist sing, as in a choir? I wonder when the picture was taken?

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2010 12:38 pm    

Duane,

It was fun while it lasted, speaking of this thread. I was treated to imaginative builders, their music, etc. Something has gone haywire. The responders have closed shop on cables. Nothing left to do, except pull the plug when responses are too far and few between. Thanks for your assistance.

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2010 1:01 pm    

Bobbe Seymour has lots to say about the virtues of cable guitars, pity he's not watching this thread, his comments would be invaluable.

Allan Munro

Pennsylvania, USA and Scotland
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2010 2:09 pm    

Bill Hankey wrote:
Duane,

It was fun while it lasted, speaking of this thread. I was treated to imaginative builders, their music, etc. Something has gone haywire. The responders have closed shop on cables. Nothing left to do, except pull the plug when responses are too far and few between. Thanks for your assistance.

Mr. B, I think, like me, the responders are waiting for the next stimulus to come along - that would be your promised pictures.

Regards, Allan.....

Television is the REAL opiate of the masses!

Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2010 2:32 pm    

Bill Hankey wrote:
Basilh,

Interesting pulleys displayed in the photo. You said one cable slippage in 50 years. Wow! That's incredible! I notice the recesses are longer than the pulleys Leo Fender ordered for my Fender 1000. I no longer have the instrument. If a player trounces on the Fender pedals for 50 years, and reports only one mishap, I've been mislead. I appreciate your certified credentials, but something is missing in this report. I know you are totally honest in every regard, and I'm not hinting otherwise. I think the time spent pedaling is where the shoe pinches.

there was two styles of fender pulleys used.

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2010 3:52 pm    

Ben Jones,

Have you information concerning the use of two different pulleys? I wouldn't mind chasing that little known data to other sources, that is, how it came to be. Which of the two preceded the other? I doubt that they were used interchangeably. I've often wondered why those manufactured Fender pulleys featured a short aperture. Perhaps two different manufacturing firms filled the orders.

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2010 4:06 pm    

Bill Hankey wrote:
...That multifaceted ERECTOR steel framework....

Are you sure it's Erector? I see a lot of Meccano parts.