The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Band In A Box 2010.5
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2010 7:00 am    

The newest vesrion of BIAB 2010.5 is now available. It contains some new features in style picker, etc,... and some new Real Tracks. They have a special introductory price going. Check it out at
www.pgmusic.com

Smile

Carl Kilmer

East Central, Illinois
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2010 5:05 pm    

Band-in-a-Box 2010 customers are eligible to update to version 2010.5 for FREE!
Clip this link to download and save in your BB folder.
http://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#303
This file is 25MB and will only work with BIAB 2010

Carl

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2010 5:31 pm    

This is confusing. The program upgrade itself from 2010 to 2010.5 is a free download, and it addds some features. However, if you want the new Real Tracks that are now available with 2010.5, you have to pay for them.

Smile

Carl Kilmer

East Central, Illinois
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2010 5:55 pm    

Guess that's how we pay for the freeby.

Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2010 6:02 pm    

I'm not buying every 6 months..I'll wait till next years...

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2010 6:24 pm    

Papa Joe Pollick wrote:
I'm not buying every 6 months..I'll wait till next years...

I agree. I'd go ahead and do the free ungrade and take a close look at the Real Track upgrades to see if there's anything there that you can't live without before automatically spending the money.

If you're running the 64 bit version of Windows 7, the Roland VSC DXi synth will not work. However, the Coyote Forte will work. You can check it out on:

www.pgmusic.com

Smile

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2010 5:08 pm    

Has anyone updated to the whole enchilada? All real tracks and the free 2010.5 update. In the past and I mean backi before 2008 version of BIAB most times it seems PG Music used a yearly update schedule but now it seems they are trying to milk 2 upgrades a year out of us. Now I could be wrong since I have slept a few times in the past Smile

I've been a BIAB user since the middle to late 80's and started out with the Mac version I can't remember the version but possibly Mac version 3 or 4. I can remember how excited I was to be able to make some backing tracks that if paired with a good midi tone module sounded pretty good.

So here's the point I'm trying to make is PG Music suffering from the same problem that most businesses are suffering from? Trying to milk more money from it's faithful long time customers due to hard times?

I hope not but it looks to me that if we purchase the new real tracks there's around 20 new real audio tracks and for the price it just doesn't seem like a frugal move, so hence the question "has any one bought all of the new tracks" and if so are they repeats of a lot of real audio tracks we already have with a few variations PG Music has been known to do this in the past couple of updates. So if anyone has any real world info I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Bob

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2010 5:48 am    

I wouldn't say PG Music is tryng to "milk" anything out of you. If you don't want the upgrade, don't buy it. What you've got will work just fine without it. PG Music's products come with a 30 day unconditional money back guarantee. The 10.5 program upgrade is free to version 10 users. What more do you want them to do? They're offering some new Real Tracks, what's wrong with that? Is Walmart trying to 'milk' us because they put some new items on the shelf? It's all part of keeping a business alive.

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2010 10:04 am    

Thanks for the reply Rick. I think I will re-word my question so that I don't leave anyone with the idea that I think PG Music is ripping us off Smile

I was hoping to find someone that had purchased the extra Real Tracks along with the free 2010.5 application update so that I could see if they liked all of the new Real Tracks.

So if anyone has purchased all of the new Real Tracks that have been released at the same time as the free 2010.5 application update I would be very thankful to hear what you guys thought.

I have been a long time PG Music customer and I am very happy with their products and update scheme. It just seems that in the last couple of years we are now getting 2 updates a year instead of one and I sincerely apologize to anyone and everyone that I might have ruffled their feathers or made them believe that I was thinking that PG Music is ripping us off, because as Rick plainly pointed out no one is twisting our arms making us buy their upgrades.

Sometimes after a long day I have been known to post things in less that a positive way and I am here to tell you guys that my post last evening was surely one of them.

What I could have said and should have said was something such as this. (Is it me or has anyone noticed companies that use to only offer upgrades once a year are now offering them 2 times a year such as Cakewalk and some of the other bigger companies? I noticed they did the same thing this last year with a mid year upgrade called "Sonar 8.5 upgrade") That way it might not have looked like I was putting down PG music.

Sorry Rick.......

Big Bob

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2010 10:53 am    

Hey Bob,

I understand where you're coming from. No problems on my end. Smile I think the Real Tracks are coming on so fast that they want to make them available more than once per year. It was different when everything was MIDI and there had to be some major feature additions to justify a new version and that took a year or so to develop. Now that Real Tracks are so popular, I think there going to take the place of MIDI with BIAB eventually. Right now it's kind of either or.

There's always no cost updates coming along to fix bugs, etc.... so check the PG Music web site support section to make sure you have the latest updates.

Here's a tip for BIAB users: Real Tracks take a long time to generate the song when you press play. So, to save time, don't even think about Real Tracks while you're doing the basic programming, getting the timing changes, editing, etc... done. Use MIDI only and it will generate immediately. Then, when you get it pretty well the way you want it, start replacing MIDI instruments with Real Tracks.

Smile

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2010 4:04 pm    

Hey Ric, that's cool I just reread my post and it seemed like I was sounding a little like a "cranky old coot complainers" LOL! I am very happy that we are getting real tracks more often especially if they are different sounding tracks and more country oriented. Along that same line I am, very impressed with the effort PG is putting into creating country style Real Tracks.

When I first started using BIAB it was version ? or ? for the Mac and I believe it came on either 3 or 4 floppy's hehe! I was able to create some pretty good country tracks out of some of the simple styles but it was mostly geared towards Jazz and some other styles that I wasn't needing at the time. On a lot of styles that I had I use to edit the drums and bass to use with country songs then I finally put a country shuffle piano rhythm track together and I thought I was in tall cotton. I've always used a midi guitar system so I played the track/style with my midi guitar and then went into the edit grid and tightened it up a little and saved it as a style now of course they have all the 4/4 shuffle styles you need played by a real piano player Smile

Anyway I'm going to upgrade just as soon as I sell a few items so I'll have the cash. Without BIAB I'd be pretty lonely around here being that I'm pretty much shut in here most of the time it's about the only way to get tracks together to jam with. I use all real tracks except a piano sample here or there which is a real sample of a piano and also some bass guitars so pretty much what I'm saying is that if I have samples that sound better than BIAB's I'll use midi and trigger my own samples.

At one time I used nothing except my own samples in everything I did I used a software sampler from Tascam called "Giga Studio" and I still do a lot of times in Sonar. At one time I had over 1/2 TB of high quality samples but like I've said with PG putting out such high quality Real Tracks I've cut way back on Giga Studio use.

Good luck with your recording and enjoy the new Real Tracks Smile

Big Bob