The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Newbie, need some help
Keith Davidson

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2010 8:23 pm    

Hey guys, I'm a newbie, got my steel one week today.
It's a Magnum Pro Select 10 string, 3p, 5L with an Alumitone pickup. I have a Nashville 112 for and amp, and a Roland RE-20 space echo.

Just a couple of quick questions. I find that the tone is kind of tinny with or without the Re-20 connected.

My settings are:
Bass - +3
Treble - +3
Mid - -3
Shift - 750-800
Presence - +3
Master Gain -6
Pregain - 3

I have a basic bar, ordering a BJS bar tomorrow.

My strings are Carter (Smart String Set).

The pickup is 2 quarters below the strings as someone stated it should be.

Any ideas? Probably just me and my lack of playing ability but wanted to check to see if anyone had any suggestions, etc.

Also, any ideas for stuff to practice, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I have the Jeff Newman dvd for a start and have a wealth of links bookmarked.

Been involved with music for over 40 years so that part is not new to me.

The steel sure is though, talk about complete body coordination - or lack of it.

thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

Bryan Daste

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2010 8:42 pm    

Try turning up the Mid and Bass controls a bit. Also, trying picking farther to your left (away from the pickup).

Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2010 8:44 pm    

Welcome Keith From Alabama, Have you tried a lot of different settings to try to find the one that sounds right to YOU. Very Happy YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.

Keith Davidson

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2010 9:02 pm    

Thanks guys, yes I've tried a number of settings, gonna try some different ones tomorrow that I found on the forum.

Will try playing a little further to the left away from the pickup and see if that helps.

Would a tone bar make much difference? I was told it would be a major change in tone with the BJS.

More than likely it is just me and my inexperience with the instrument.

thanks again

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2010 9:18 pm    

Bryan's advise to pick more to the left away from the pickup is goin to have more effect on tone than a different bar. I use a BJS bar and although my tone didn't change dramatically it just feels smoother and has less string noise than any of my other bars. Smile

Keith Davidson

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2010 9:26 pm    

ok, thanks Andy, I do have string noise from this bar. I'm ordering a BJS tomorrow anyway.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2010 10:42 pm    

Make sure that the string is being released squarely from the tip of your pick, not scraped along the edge of it.

Chris Dorch

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2010 6:54 am    

Perhaps you have a bad jack or cable causing the mids and low frequencies to be grounded. I would check those... There is also a possibility that you have a bad or mis-grounded pickup.

I would consider busting out a multimeter to check those and a cable tester to check the cables...

Just more ideas...

Don Hinkle

Springfield Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2010 7:29 am    

I have a Magnum pro select double neck (for sale) with original pickups in it..
Guitar sounds GREAT thru NV 112, NV1000 or my steel king...

treble and presence about -0-
mids -5 shift 800
bass + 3
Fender guitars
Fender amps

Keith Davidson

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2010 10:14 am    

Bob, yeah checked the string release and that isn't the problem, something to make note of for sure though, thanks.

Chris, I doubt the cables are bad as they are new George Ls, although I'm using another cable from my Re-20 to the amp which is a Planet Waves instrument cable - new. I just purchased the amp and the guitar from Al Brisco in Ontario and I doubt there is a problem with any of the above. I did however order 2 more George L cables to complete the guitar connections so the Planet Waves cable will be changed when they come in.

Don, just changed my settings this morning and tried some different ones. It sounded much better. Since reading your post, I've changed them again to what you have listed here and it's even better.

I think the bottom line is that it's just me. The "it's in the hands" scenario. lol

Anyway, thanks again for all the responses, I really appreciate all the help and suggestions.

When you're a newbie to something like this it can be a bit overwhelming and feel like your stuck out on an island all by yourself.

Thanks to your support that is not the case. Great to have assistance from the experienced players.

Thanks to all.

Bob Mc Donald

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2010 12:36 pm    

Hi Keith
I play at the Red Fox on sundays 3 till 7 come on down,maybe i can help you out with somethings.
Bob.

Keith Davidson

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2010 1:11 pm    

hey Bob, great to hear from another Nova Scotian. Would love to get any and all assistance, etc. with learning about the steel.

I'm thinking that Red Fox is in Halifax? If so that's not good because I live in River Ryan which is just outside of Sydney.

But you never know when I'll be up there. I don't get too many weekends off as our band is quite busy these days and pretty well every weekend is booked.

Not with the steel though lol, that's way down the road.

We take the summer off though so I may get a chance to get there some weekend.

Take care,

Keith

Bob Mc Donald

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2010 1:27 pm    

ok,nice to meet new steel players.I was in sydney at the capie clue awhile back ECMA'S.I'am sure that we will meet in time.keep steelin and take care.

P.S
go to you tube on Dale Boutilier red fox we are playing a couple off tunes not the best first time with the band.

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2010 1:55 pm    

On my Excel with an Alumitone pickup and a NV112, I found that rolling off the presence almost all the way, backing off of the treble to maybe -3 or so--maybe up to the 0 point, rolling up the bass to +6 to +9, and cutting the mids to about -6 works well with the frequency somewhere around 800 or a little less. Also, if the amp is new, it takes awhile for the speaker to break in and it can be pretty harsh sounding until it does. Hope this helps.

Dave

Bill Bertinot

Burlington Ky
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2010 4:25 pm    

Keith,
Dial your treble and presence all the way off. Place your picks around the 24th fret and play. Slowly dial in the treble (mine is at -4) then dial in the presence as needed (I often use no or little presence - -10 or -6). When it comes to highend on the pedal steel sometimes "less is more".

Hope this helps!

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2010 6:02 pm    

What Bill says, yup!

Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2010 7:18 pm    

b0b said:
Quote:
Make sure that the string is being released squarely from the tip of your pick, not scraped along the edge of it.

Yeah, save that for later... Very Happy

Keith Davidson

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2010 9:30 pm    

Ok, thanks guys I'll give that a try in the morning.

I changed some of the settings already and it seems much better, but I like these suggestions so I'll be giving it a go in the am.

thanks so much for the help, much appreciated

Keith