The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Silvo Lap steel fingerboard.
colinmcc

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2010 12:00 pm    

I know that Richard has a Silvo lap steel, and I've just been chatting to Marc Schoenberger about one I have. I'm taking pictures for my notecannons site, and realised that there are no signs of 'dots' covering screws through the fingerboard to secure the neck..

This intrigued me enough to open her up and I realised that the thin (1mm or so) black/white phenolic fingerboard is actually glued OVER a wooden fingerboard extension which is screwed through the body to standard blocking inside the body.

While the Silvo Mandolins and Tenors had wooden fingerboards, and thus dots as expected to cover screws, this Silvo Hawaiian setup means that any neck off repair requires the destruction of the fingerboard overlay to get at the screws!

I've tried applying heat in the hope that the glue separates but no joy there. Plan B. Cut though the phenolic sheet and extension at the body join, and leave it on the guitar, Plan C. Try to locate the screws with a metal detector and drill holes to be filled with dots, plan D try to slide a thin pull saw between the body and fbd and cut the screws.. Probably scratching the body in the process.

Now, I'm not planning on doing any of these, I'm just curious as to why Nat did it, and has anyone here any thoughts or experience of removing a neck?

BTW Two different instruments are pictured, one has Roman numerals on the fbd, (the first 2 pics) and the second, (pics 3,4,5) has had the numbers removed Sad !

And a few pics of the Electric bits..

The screw through the well into the neck-stick is under the phenolic sheet, and is another indication that the fingerboard was stuck on after neck/body assembly![/u]

Jason Hull

Post  Posted 5 Apr 2010 4:27 pm    

Seriously cool!

Richard Shatz

Quincy, IL, United States
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2010 11:36 am    

Colin,
Mine is the same.

I can't understand the construction method either. The plastic fretboard overlay was probably an afterthought to improve the aesthetics. There was obviously no thought given to the possible need for neck off repair.