sound quality and cost between Beard
Goldtone and Beard model "E" ?

Also: Is there a sound byte somewhere
of the Beard Road-o-phonic ?
Ed

Beard Guitars

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2010 5:27 am    

The Gold Tone is a "factory built" guitar that either Gold Tone or Beard set up. It is patterned after the Beard "R" body, but designed to be mass produced.

The "E" model is physically a larger guitar then any of the Gold Tones. It features a very different internal system and is hand crafted/finished. The "E" is also our most customized guitar. Typically available in maple or mahogany it has also been built in many exotic tonewood combinations. The buyer works with us in choosing woods and cosmetics.

I must point out that there are 3 Gold Tone spider bridge guitars (PBS, PBSD, PBSM) and "E"'s are one off guitars. So, in comparing the GT and "E" you really have to drill down to the particular model and individual.

Quote:
Is there a marked difference in
sound quality and cost between Beard
Goldtone and Beard model "E" ?

I hope so. Very Happy

Drop me a line if you have any questions at all.

h
301-733-8271
pbeardguitars@hotmail.com

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2010 6:53 am    

The sound difference is significant - acoustically. If you're doing the "loud stage vol" thing with a Fishman pickup and Aura pedal, then the sound dif. might not be that much. But for recording and live playing with a mic, the Beard E is one of the finest resos you can find.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2010 7:27 am    

Subtle difference in wording, but I see it here and on other forums all the time.

People using the word "Beard" before "Gold Tone" in referring to the imported guitars. As in it's a Beard Gold Tone, as opposed to a Gold Tone Beard. Someone might comment, "c'mon, don't be so nitpicky, you know what I meant." But I think that is very telling, phrasing it that way. A well set up Gold Tone is a very good guitar for the money, but when you play (acoustically, as Tom wrote) a Gold Tone Beard and a Beard E side-by-side, the difference becomes pretty obvious.

It's not a Beard, it's a Gold Tone that was designed by Paul Beard and manufactured in Asia, and made of fairly good quality materials.

As Howard pointed out, there are significant differences in the design of the two guitars.

And the Beard E is built in a small shop in Maryland of the finest materials with an exceptional attention to detail.

Mark Roeder

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2010 7:44 am    

I am really enjoying the 8 string Goldtone. It has alot of tone for the price. Keep in mind it is my first Reso and as my ear would develope I would probably hear things differently. But for now I am really happy.

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2010 9:19 am     Road-o-phonic

The original post had one last question, and I'd like to know too. What does a Road-o-phonic sound like and what can you do with it? How close to a dobro can you make it sound? Is it more of a lap steel with a little twang (like the old National reso-lap steels from the 50's).? Is there sound bytes out there for it?

Also, can you fit a new Fishman JD bridge pickup into it?

Beard Guitars

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2010 9:29 am    

Twangier than a dobro as it uses spider bridge mandolin components. Sounds a bit like a Sq neck National "O". Really has a voice of it's own.

Yes..We can install the Aura/Douglas pickup.

Hear the Roadie HERE!. Not traditional music and mainly the neck pickup I think.
301-733-8271
pbeardguitars@hotmail.com