The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gospel Steel Guitar Show-Had A Great Time
Joan Cox

Eustace, TX USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2003 4:52 am    

I guess I'll be the first to thank Stevie and Doug Rolfe and the crew for their hard work on the Gospel Steel Guitar Show this past weekend in Indianapolis. The weather was beautiful. Heard lots of good steel playing and enjoyed getting to hear the jam with Herby Wallace, Jerry Brightman, Hal Rugg and Doug Jernigan. Thanks for the invite to play on the show this year. I think everyone had a fun weekend.

Joan

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2003 6:41 am    

What a great show! Excellent pickers and all giving glory to our Lord on instruments of ten strings. However, after hearing 8 year old Austin on the pedal steel, I went home and took the chain saw to mine!
Uff-Da!

JACK HEERN

MURPHYSBORO,IL. USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2003 8:22 am    

What Joan and Erv said !!
BTW Ms. TONE got her killer sound again as usual!! Thanks Doug, Stevie and crew for another job well done. The music we got to hear was second only to the fellowship! I really enjoyed what Jerrys Roller and Brightman attempted to do . A real highlight for me was to hear Sonny Curtis play and his wife sing for the first time live. To try to comment on all the players and how well they played would take up about 3 pages!! Ifin you wern't there you missed a great one.
Thanks again
Jack

Sonny Curtis

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2003 2:36 pm    

Thanks Jack for your gracious words. My wife and I are so glad that we had the opportunity to get better aquainted with you and also with Jr. Knight and Jerry Roller. Jerry spent a lot of time with me trying to give me some advice on adjustments to my new Emmons Guitar. Thanks Jerry.

This was my first time playing the gospel steel show. We had been there the past two years as observers. Our anniversary is May 7th and we have chosen to celebrate it at the gosple steel show.

Thanks again to Jack Hern, Jr. Knight, Doug J. and Jerry Roller who were all so encourageing to me. And to Stevie Rolfe who was so sweet to Barbara....even prayed for her to not be nervous before she sang. What great people God's children are! Thanks Doug and Stevie for asking us to be a part of this years show. Also thanks to my two buddies from Springfield, Ohio, Paul and Roger Evilsizor. They are always a great encouragement to me. Thanks guys for your support... www.sonnycurtis.net

[This message was edited by Sonny Curtis on 05 May 2003 at 03:38 PM.]

[This message was edited by Sonny Curtis on 05 May 2003 at 04:16 PM.]

[This message was edited by Sonny Curtis on 06 May 2003 at 06:58 AM.]

Jerry Lee Newberry

Prim, AR USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2003 3:38 pm    

We would like to add our thanks to Stevie an Doug for letting us come to Indy. Jerry and Austin had a great time. So did I. Thanks to Jerry Roller for playing the Dobro for them. Besides his great Dobro playing it is always a calming efect for them ( and me )to have him on stage with them. Thanks to everyone for the encouraging words to and for Austin. He doesn't talk to anyone, but I hope people will over look that and maybe someday he will do better with his talking. Looking forward to Indy next year. We will also be at Tulsa the weekend of the 24th. Hope you can come. The Newberry's

Jerry Brightman

Ohio
Post  Posted 5 May 2003 6:25 pm    

It was indeed great seeing all the folks in Indy...Doug J., Hal, Herby, Sonny, Joan, David, and Junior Knight..little Austin,along with our adopted piano guy, Roy Rosetta

I also have added the new Derby's to my website for anyone interested...
http://www.slidestation.com/derby_statement.htm

Thanks Doug and Stevie,

Jerry
http://www.slidestation.com

[This message was edited by Jerry Brightman on 05 May 2003 at 08:07 PM.]

Louie Hallford

denison tx
Post  Posted 5 May 2003 8:43 pm    

Doug and Stevie and all those who helped with the show ,as usual went above and beyond the norm in making everone feel at home. Super show and fellowship.

Glad that Austin and Jerry got to come for the first time. It was also great to hear, for the first time, Sonny Curtis whose reputation as a player has preceeded him by several years before we got to hear him play at a show. Truly a super,humble guy, married to a super lady.

Jerry Brightman

Ohio
Post  Posted 6 May 2003 3:27 am    

Louie,

I wanted to say it was great getting to see you and forgot on my earlier post...Sorry!You played a nice set too...

Looking forward to seeing you in the near future again...

Jerry
http://www.slidestation.com

Sonny Curtis

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2003 6:01 am    

Thanks Louie for the compliments. You did a great set, I enjoyed it. Getting to see and visit with so many great guys who love steel like I do was really good for me.

To show you how great all of the guys were, not only did Jerry Roller spend a lot of time talking about my Emmons, but Roy Rosetta took time to look at my charts and compare them with his to make sure the cord structure was right. I had someone else do them for me, and I wasn't sure. Thanks Roy, looking forward to working with you again.

And thanks for the compliment to my wife, she really is a super lady. After so much tragedy God has really blessed my life. I thank Him everyday.
www.sonnycurtis.net

[This message was edited by Sonny Curtis on 06 May 2003 at 07:06 AM.]

Wayne Smith

Rowlett, Tx. USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 May 2003 12:27 pm    

Joan, It was good to see and hear you at the show this year. You get such a beautiful sound out of that Black Zum. Your touch and quality are second to none. Sorry I didn't get to post earlier, but we went to Chicago for a few days after the show. Doug and Stevie are truly the greatest host. They make us all feel so welcome and at home. What a wonderful job. It was good to get to talk to a few folks that I was not to well acquainted with, such as, Jerry Brightman and Sonny Curtis. Thanks for making the Gospel show even better. Of course all of the greats were there like Herby Wallace (Mr. Smooth), Hal Rugg (I like what he tries to do) Oops, Doug Jernigan (Nobody does Gospel like He does), Jr. Knight (with High Calling), and of course all the regulars like
Jack Heern (great opener), Davis Spires (to Fast), Robison Family (Great Stuff and blessings), Rob Parker (The Voice), Jerry Newberry (Granpa to Austin Stewart), Austin Stewart (who will soon stomp us pretty good), Jerry Roller (The Bar Thrower), Louie Hallford (My friend), and the great band headed by none other than Roy Rosetta (way to go), with Chuck Spires, Rob McKeithen, Pastor Ron Stroup, Steven Spires and I'm sure I have missed some, please forgive me.
The wonderful staff at Registration, Sound, Video, Lighting and Set up are really the greatest. Just can't wait till next year.
THANKS, THANKS, THANKS, THE REV.

Roy Rosetta

Nederland, Texas.. On the Texas Gulf Coast
Post  Posted 12 May 2003 4:59 pm    

What a pleasure to be just a small part of this wonderful gospel show. Doug and Stevie are wonderful people whom Barbara and I are so very proud to call our friends. The show is very up-lifting and rewarding. All of the steel players were great and the players whom I was so fortunate to work with in the staff band were "super".
Thanks again Doug and Stevie for inviting us.
Warmest regards,
....Roy and Barbara

------------------
Music is a "gift" with many wrappings....
....Roy