The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I've been robbed ! (John Mayer content)
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2010 7:19 am    

My 16 year old grandson has been playing guitar for a few years now and getting pretty dang good on it and has become a John Mayer fan. I told him if he ever came in concert close to our area that I'd take him.......

Well we're going this coming Tuesday night (March 16th) to the John Paul Jones arena in Charlottesville, Virginia at 8:00 PM. I called the arena to order tickets and I think I'm really getting robbed. Are concert tickets really this high these days? I'll admit that I haven't been to one in a very long time but for two tickets off to the side on the third level it cost me $172.50.........

That included a $14.95 parking fee and some kind of service charge per ticket. The ticket prices were $66.00 each so that's altogether an extra $40.50 for the parking and service charge(s)... Is this a standard practice? I can't help but think these people are screwing the public.....

I think these people should have to have ticket prices which included all these other charges so a person would know what they cost before they called and were told of the "extras".....

Oh well, I love my grandson and he and I will have a nice trip up to Charlottesville and get to spend some quality time together. I hope ol' John's worth the price of his tickets. I've seen him on TV and his guitar playing is OK so I'll like that but I can't stand his vocals as I can't make out what he's singing about. He sounds like he's got a mouth full of something......I'm sorry for the bitching. Anyone ever seen this guy live?....JH in Va.

Joseph Carlson

Grass Valley, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2010 3:17 pm    

That sounds about right for national pop acts. Luckily you can catch smaller touring acts for relative peanuts most nights of the week. That way you can still but a T-shirt and a CD so they can have some gas money to get to the next town.

But don't feel too bad. I spent close to that to take my daughter to the Disney Princesses on Ice show. At least you get to see some rock and roll!

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2010 3:31 pm    

I don't think you got ripped off. I think that is standard for someone of John Mayer's popularity.

John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2010 3:58 pm    

Last month Mariah Carey did a stadium show here, and the tickets were $175 (each). The stadium holds 18,000 people, and 3,000 showed up. I understand the show mainly consisted of wardrobe changes, and taking bows. I'd sooner go to a hanging than a Mariah Carey show, but that's just me.
On the other hand, I would guess that John Mayer will put on a show you'll enjoy very much for alot less.
My friend took his 3 youngsters to see a hockey game at the same stadium this winter, and when it was all over he realized he'd spent two week's wages to watch a bunch of millionaires chase a piece of rubber around with sticks.
So relatively... it's not bad. Hope you enjoy the show, Jerry, he's pretty darned talented ! Like the credit card commercials say: "A night your grandson will never forget: Priceless".
- John

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2010 4:58 pm    

John Steele wrote:
I'd sooner go to a hanging than a Mariah Carey show,

But where can you see a good hanging for $175?

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2010 5:01 pm    

Man, you can spend $60 for two people to go to the movies now: $20 each for the IMAX 3D tickets and $20 for the popcorn and soda.

Used to cost me 50 cents for a triple feature back in Pittsburgh in early 60's.

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2010 7:40 pm    

John Steel's got the right idea. A few years ago I took my Grand Daughter to her first rock concert to see Avril Lavigne and probably spent a about $150. She was a chatter box all the way home on our 2 hour drive and I would have spent double that to see her so excited.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2010 3:36 am    

Despite all of my griping about the ticket price(s) I'm really looking forward to this trip and concert. It's about a three hour drive and I'm so proud of my grandson I could bust! My kids never really seemed to get into music that much so he's been a Godsend. He picked up the guitar pretty quick and is already a decent player. I wish I could get him interested in steel guitar. Sometimes when he's at my house he'll sit down behind my steel and plunk on it but I gotta hide the fingerpicks or he'll bend 'em to fit when I'm not looking........JH in Va.

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2010 3:52 am    

Jerry enjoy the concert but leave an extra set of picks lying around for your grandson. I have five kids and four grandchildren and only one of my sons has any interest in music. One of the first songs he learned was Hotel California when he was 16. He's progressed quite a bit since then. He's now 21 and in the Navy down your way.

Jerry Erickson

Atlanta,IL 61723
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2010 9:15 am    

Enjoy the show and buy him some finger picks!Smile