The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Basic C-6th Scale Patterns: Lesson #10
robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2010 8:02 am    

This week we continue adding scale patterns to our previous lessons.

The first diagram is a CM7 Scale > picked in a 4 Note Reverse Pattern > ascending up the fretboard. [Tough]
The second diagram is a CM7 Scale > picked in a 4 Note Forward Pattern > descending down the fretboard. [Tougher] Add to Lesson #1

(C-6th w/ knee lever lowering 3rd string C to B)

The first diagram is a Dm7 Scale > picked in a 4 Note Reverse Pattern > ascending up the fretboard.
The second diagram is a Dm7 Scale > picked in a 4 Note Forward Pattern > descending down the fretboard. (Add to Lesson #2)

C-6th w/ knee lever lowering 3rd string C to B)

Tip of the Week: “”Target Tones” There is a technique called “Playing Across Bar Lines” in which you train yourself to always be thinking ahead – thinking about and looking at the next measure of music while playing the current one. We can adapt this discipline to our scale pattern lessons using a technique called “Target Tones.”

In a 4 Note Scale Pattern the scales are grouped in 4 Note Patterns. We “target” the first tone in every 4 Note group and, while we are playing the remaining three tones, we are “targeting” (looking at and thinking about) the first tone (the “Target Tone”) of the next 4 Note group. So the first tone in every 4-Note group is targeted and the remaining 3 tones are “automatic.” Our example we will be the CM7 – 4 Note Scale Patterns:

The first “Target Tone” diagram is a CM7 Scale > picked in a 4 Note Reverse Pattern > ascending up the fretboard. The second “Target Tone” diagram is a CM7 Scale > picked in a 4 Note Forward Pattern > descending down the fretboard.

(C-6th w/ knee lever lowering 3rd string C to B)

This technique develops accuracy, intonation and speed helps us manage the “fret jumps” in some of our scale patterns. I actually have a sign in my woodshed: “Play Across Bar Lines” - so I won’t forget. This technique is useful for everything you play over your horn.

Next Week: CM7 & Dm7 Scale – Forward Scale Patterns in Thirds

Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2010 10:03 am    

Robert, thanks for sharing the scales. I'm going to apply them to E9. Keep them coming.

Tony

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2010 11:04 pm    

Robert... I just want to say thanks for these lessons! They've given me some cool new insights. Those 2 whole step, three note structures are easy as 1-2-3!!! Cool

Definitely applicable to anywhere you can find two whole steps on either neck.