Author Topic:  C6 tuning/ G high
Paul Higgins

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2010 2:01 pm    

Hi Ive been reading loads of stuff on the net to do with the steel guitar

I keep comming across this C6 G high
Could I please ask what it means..

I have gone by the book
E-436 C-440 A-436 G-440 E436 C-440 which says that this is the best tuning..It dose say 436.5 but the meter dose't do .5

With that tuning when looking or obtaining tab's
Do I look for stuff writen for C6?
Sorry all the questions
RdGs Paul

Benjamin Franz

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2010 2:14 pm    

Paul, having a high G, above your high E string, is used more on eight string instruments.

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2010 2:16 pm    

There are a couple of variations in what people refer to as C6th (sometimes C6/Am7) tuning.

The "standard" tuning is as follows:
1. E
2. C
3. A
4. G
5. E
6. C

Probably the variation you're referring to is as follows:
1. G
2. E
3. C
4. A
5. G
6. E

I don't know of any material written for C6th tuning that uses the second tuning listed above.

Paul Higgins

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2010 3:54 pm    

Thank you both
benjamin and Brad That answers the question I have been reading so much latley I have prob got it mixed up along the line, its just that G high comming up,
It prob was refering to 8 string as you suggest
Thanks again
RdGs Paul

Chuck S. Lettes

Denver, Colorado
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2010 5:29 pm    

Hi Paul,
On my six string lap steel I have been using a modified C6th tuning (G on top, but F on bottom) as mentioned by Brad. You can hear some samples of my playing with that tuning: http://www.hsga.org/new_design/ChuckLettes.htm Best of luck with the lap steel, a wonderful instrument.
Chuck

Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2010 10:55 pm    

Bobby Ingano uses that high G tuning, and he told me that he is working on a lesson thing, like a DVD or ? for that tuning. (forgot) Anyway, he thinks it will be available in March or later.

Paul Higgins

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2010 4:27 am    

Thanks Chuck & Bobby
if the strings are altered to that tuneing
Then I take it that you then dont use C6 Tabs everything changes is that right..

as being a newbe I dont intend at the mo do do any of these changes so I can stick to lessons DVD in c6
Its just I find it difficult to understand how you can just change things around Ie... normal guitar 6 string guitar first fret always gives you F Sharp
but if it was tuned an other way the notes would be in a diffrent place on the neck..

if that being the case it would be like starting over again thanks RdGs Paul

Paul Higgins

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2010 5:26 am    

Chuck S. Lettes wrote:
Hi Paul,
On my six string lap steel I have been using a modified C6th tuning (G on top, but F on bottom) Chuck

Hi Chuck
Ive lisened to the links you sent with the alternitive G to be quite honest I carnt hear the differance..they all sound good to me !
there are some songs you have I would't have thought would go well on a steel guitar Ie.." have you ever seen the rain" [/i[i]]"Apache"
How wrong can oen be !
makes me very enverious !
Thanks again EdGs Paul

James Kerr

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2010 12:00 pm    

Paul,
The G on top works just as well on 6 string as 8 string. the "other" C6 has the distinctive Hawiian sound if that is what you are looking for.
You can hear the G on top here at my YouTube, most of my recording are done in this tuning.

C6th G E C A G E
10 14 18 24 26 34

http://www.youtube.com/user/kerrsteel&rclk=cti

James.

Roy Thomson

Wolfville, Nova Scotia,Canada
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2010 1:02 pm    

James, that is so honest and beautifull!
Everything fits.... the Rhythm,the graphics
along with your playing...it all makes an enjoyable
listening and visual experience.

I hope you do more.

Roy Thomson

James Kerr

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2010 1:14 pm    

Thank you Roy,
I thought some of my photos would be more interesting than looking at a fretboard, and I just love playing my old Teisco R1.

I have another coming shortly playing my National Dynamic Replica and I think I will include some photos of Scotland.

James.

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2010 4:57 pm    

In the beginning, I struggled to find a string that would tune up to the high G first string arrangement. I found I could use a lot of A6th sheet music arrangements as the structures would now be the same. All you had to do was transpose the keys. Bob White or Leon McAullife showed me how to use a tenor guitar first string and that worked.

Years later, in a discussion with Jerry Byrd I posed the question as to why he never used the first string G in his arrangements. In similar words, he told me, if he wanted that high G he would play the first string E normally and use a palm harmonic on the 4th string G.

That harmonic placed the G above the E for the minor 3rd he wanted but it also gave an exceptional tonal voicing to the chord by use of just that one harmonic and the other string normally. This is a simplistic explanation of his use of a high G in a 6th tuning beginning with an E.

It gets rather complicated when you use this method on the 2nd and 5th strings of the same tuning. C-E become inverted to E-C. It also makes for an interesting color change if needed.

I have also used this technique on E9th with the 3rd and 5th strings but it gets very complicated when you consider the pedal changes that follow.

Regards, Paul

Paul Higgins

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2010 6:40 am    

Now this is going totaly over my head, prob my own fault for trying to go in too deep before i knew more..But what I am now thinking is that if G was on top then tabs writen for c6 would not be right.
am I right thinking this or have I lost the plot again..
Im sorry for not getting it. but for years I have only norm guitar.. 1st was always tuned to E 2nd B and so on.and done on tuner with out Hz read out,
well thats my excuse anyway !

Perhaps Ill understand later on
Thanks RdGs Paul

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2010 7:02 am    

Paul: You'll do good ! It's like swimming; once you dive in, the water is fine ! Absorb what you can or want to and keep up the practice while exploring new thinkings. It is what you have been doing all your life and if you love it, you'll make it.

Regards, Paul

Jamie O'Connell

Medford, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2010 10:43 am    

Paul Higgins wrote:
But what I am now thinking is that if G was on top then tabs writen for c6 would not be right.

You just need to shift normal C6 TAB over one string: TAB on String 1 becomes String 2, String 2 becomes String 3, ...

Herb Remington has a bunch of A6 TAB that can be used on High-C6 as well: A6 has the same intervals as High-C6, it's just tuned 3 half steps lower.

--Jamie

Rick Winfield

Pickin' beneath the Palmettos
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2010 1:33 am     guitar tuning

Paul,
when I play "reguar" guitar, I use many different tunings. After a while, it just sort of sticks in your head, "what is where". The same is true for steel.
But.... in the beginning, it's very important to find ONE tuning, and stick with it, the rest will come later.
C E G A C E is perfect for a 6 string axe. You can always "slide" up to E,G, on fret 5, strings 2&3, if that voicing is needed.
Rick

Paul Higgins

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2010 5:54 am     Re: guitar tuning

Rick Winfield wrote:
Paul,

But.... in the beginning, it's very important to find ONE tuning, and stick with it, the rest will

Rick

Thanks Rick this I have now done..Think I have a lot to learn on the tunnings...
so as for the moment sticking to the c6..I am seing a book at the moment which is C6..I havent got as far as to be looking for tabs'But when I do it will be in c6 for now !!
Thanks RgDs Paul