The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  An Assist Chart For Baib
ed packard

Show Low AZ
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2010 10:57 am    

BAIB, as you probably already know, allows entering notes,chords,and lyrics into a music staffed format. This can then be played in a number of styles, with instruments of your choice, and at a chosen tempo. Further, finger positions for a guitar neck are shown.

To be of better use with the PSG it would be nice to show the note and chord locations on the staff. Bothe notes and chords may be defined as a fret and a string. If the fret and string #s could be placed where the note is on the staff, then that would assist in playing the melody. As far as I know, this can not be done...DR. Gannon, please assist!

The chords are a different thing. the chord name may be typed in above the treble staff. The chord location, in the form of fret and string numbers may be typed into the "lyrics" area.

To do this, one must know the fret and string # for the root of the chord. Where does one get these?

Enter a program in Excel that calculates these for you.

For a given coped' setup, etc. you enter the root note of the chord into a cell. The result is a chart that gives the fret and string numbers for the all the chords of the type of interest, plus any extensions available for them. These are shown adjacent to the changes that cause them.

Just enter the root note for the desired chord, look up the chord type (in 3,4,5,6,&7 tones), and see the fret and string location for it's root. The sequential intervals in the chord will then be found on sequential strings. For "skip grip" chords, you are told which string(s)to skip.

To see what the chart looks/works like email me (push the email button) and I will send you the chart for the setup I use = a universal E9 with C# as the secon string = E9 for the first 8 strings, and E9/B6 for the first 11 strings.

If enough interest I might do up the most common setups in the same format.

David Collins

Madison, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2010 12:18 pm    

Hi Ed,

E-Mail Sent

Thanks A Ton
David

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2010 2:37 pm    

What in the HE@@ is Ed talking about,,LOL,,,seriously, I received some of Ed's stuff a while back and it was waaayyyyy above this computer dummie's head!! Ed, this sounds like a terrific idea,,,if you could just make it so that us old dummies could understand it. I'm sure that, after moderating this category for a while now, David is aware of how many of us there are out there!!! I can barely navigate Karlis Abolins Guitar Map,,,LOL.

Also, I think a "Cheat Sheet" for the most frequently used BIAB applications,,,(as used by us "steelers" would also be great thing).

ed packard

Show Low AZ
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2010 3:31 pm     sorry for the headache

Sonny et al; Sorry, but as long as the PSG is approached as a "push this pedal and pick this string" instrument you may well be limited to copying other folks style/tunes. Same if you use standard tab. Nothing wrong with that, but there may be a few that would appreciate a different approach.

Scales, and chords are the basic elements. Locating these is difficult for most of us. Enter the computer as a chord locator. One step after solving for a given coped/setup is to produce a chord list. Then allow entering the root note of the chord you want to find and have the string that the root note is on, and the fret. Then look down the list to find the chord type you want.

If you had a BIAB file with the chord name/types entered for a tune, then you could use the lyrics line to enter the location of the chord you found in the lookup chart. You may be surprised at the number and locations of the chord available to you.

Skip grips are covered also.

Good luck!

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 8 Mar 2010 6:26 pm    

Ed, I don't think they could do anything as extensive as you suggest and please everyone.
Their chord and position neck view for guitar is useless because it doesn't flow from position to position while it is playing as a real player would.
Given the complexity of the PSG bar movement, picking and blocking cares it would be even more impossible to duplicate than the guitar.
Software lacks feeling and emotion. For that reason alone I don't think it can compete while it is playing with a good PSG player's choices of harmony and chords no matter how much you expanded the BIAB capability.
Learn the neck, learn the theory, develop our ear and we won't need or want BIAB to do much of anything except be a back up band for our Steel.

ed packard

Show Low AZ
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2010 6:36 pm    

Bo...the flow choice would not be "theirs"...it would be the choice of the person using the chord lookup table. The table gives more positional choices for a given chord type than most can remember, or take the time to locate and document.

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 9 Mar 2010 1:56 am    

Ed, Your chart sounds like a great idea.
I guess I misunderstood. I thought you were trying to adapt the guitar neck view play along in BIAB to PSG.
I play using a box system.
This is what I see when I look at notation applied to E9.

this is what I see when I look at the E9 neck and apply the notation.

ed packard

Show Low AZ
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2010 6:05 am     There are ways, and there are ways.

Bo...yep, that will float your boat.

Too bad that BIAB does not provide the capability to add/insert characters into their lead/fake sheet format, and increase the available string count to at least 10.

What is the software that you are using for the presentation in your post?

I will try to send you the "chart" for my setup.

Edp

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 9 Mar 2010 3:29 pm    

Ed, I and my son Stuart use this software to create steel guitar tab, notation and arrangement complete with a CD.
Although the tab is for PSG there is no real PSG played only the midi exported from TablEdit. This type of CD is only meant to be used for educational purposes.
Here is the method and software used.

TablEdit and Adobe Photoshop for all things notation and tab.

BIAB for musical arrangements.

Adobe Audition for related CD projects.

Last edited by Bo Legg on 12 Mar 2010 5:49 am; edited 1 time in total

ed packard

Show Low AZ
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2010 10:10 am     Lots of moves there

Hey BO...lots of moves there, good thing that there are two of you working on it. Nice end result.

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 12 Mar 2010 5:38 am    

Ed thanks for your charts.
You put a lot of effort into your project and it reflects your thoroughness and genius.
I hope my replies in this topic have not sounded as if I had a better way and was in anyway critiquing your charts.
I just think early on a musician should learn music theory and the instrument to the point that he or she has no need for a chord chart. If your charts help accomplish that “great”.

ed packard

Show Low AZ
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2010 6:48 am    

BO...I am a chord freak, and like tunes with complex progressions. The simple chord progressions are no problem, but some jazz stuff taxes the mind...so I worked up the tuning/setup I sent you for the purpose.

The first tab gives the scales for several musical necks.

The last tab allows finding a mess of chord locations by fret # and root string for any given root note.

This is NOT the program...the program that does the work was written over a couple of decades...a bit of theory was needed.

Pass the files on if you know someone it might help.