The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Here with Question on Picks
Martin Nicholes

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2010 6:17 am    

I have been fooling around lately with my Regal RC-1 in my lap. I found this website from doing a search on a SX lap steel that I have ordered. My problem is thumb and finger picks. I have been travis picking acoustic guitars for about 40 years using only nails. I am resisting challenging that many years of muscle memory by putting on picks and having to make my thumb, change its angle from 45 degrees to parallel.

Can anyone else, that's gone down this same path, give me some advice on making the switch or not? I have thought of just allowing my very thick and strong thumb nail to grow out more on the side to lesson the thumb angle.

thanks
martin

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2010 6:53 am    

I'd say if you're comfortable not using picks, then go ahead and don't use them. Some acoustic lap steelers don't use picks, preferring the attack that you get with bare fingers.

Whatever works for you!

Martin Nicholes

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2010 7:18 am     Thanks Brad

It was your review of the SX LG1 that led me to this site. I ordered one and it is due in today. So I am about to enter the world of lap steels any hour now.

I have been a regular buyer at Rondo's for years. I own a few of their $100 tele's and jazz basses. I hope their $100 lap steel is as good a bargain.

David Soreff

North Las Vegas, NV
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2010 8:13 am    

Well, for the problem with your thumb, take a look at Zookies thumb picks. They come in a variety of angled tips....10,20 and 30 degree bend. Solves the problem and allows you to keep your thumb at a comfortable angle. Don Kona Woods turned me on to them and I now use them almost all the time.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2010 10:47 am    

I play either way with or without picks. You might try Travis-picking your acoustic a bit with picks on, just to get used to them.

Will Jaffe

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2010 11:12 am    

All good suggestions.

Martin, I've also been down the same path. I used to do all my finger picking with bare fingers.

I'd suggest you get used to finger picks as it will give you the option. You won't know what your missing until you get used to them.
It will take a month or less to get used to them. Practice with the finger picks twice a day for 5 minutes with a metronome, slowly and cleanly. One day you'll wake up and not think twice about it. Guaranteed or your money back.

As far as what to buy, go to the store and get plastic thumb and metal finger picks that are comfortable for your hand. It's a personal selection.

Last edited by Will Jaffe on 13 Mar 2010 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total

David Soreff

North Las Vegas, NV
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2010 11:25 am    

Oh....and John Pearse Hi Rider's for your finger picks...can't live without them

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2010 11:44 am    

You see pictures of players with their fingerpicks stickin' way out beyond their fingertips. I could not get used to that! I wear my f-picks so that they just barely stick beyond my f-tips. And, I use a very short thumbpick. Makes the transition back and forth much easier, effortless actually! I also twist the f-picks off center so that they strike the strings squarely. But, there are so many ways of wearing picks,,,,,,,,, lots of differing opinions. But, I came following the same path as you are on. Only difference is that I started down that path in '67.

Martin Nicholes

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2010 6:48 pm    

I do have some of the steel finger picks with the opening below the tip to still give me a little bit of flesh on the strings. That has helped with the fingers. It's just that thumb angle that is bothering me.

Ron Randall

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2010 1:42 pm    

Watch some of Bobbe Seymour's U tube video's. He is a Travis style picker using his fingers to play steel guitar. A master of the instrument.

James Kerr

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2010 2:13 pm    

Have a look and listen at fellow Forum member Fred Kinborn playing with fingers and judge for yourself if you need to go for picks,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiE1ruuHLlI

James.

Terry Goodman

Daphne, AL 36526
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2010 3:19 pm    

Look ma, no picks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpJnhTs53sU

Roman Sonnleitner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2010 3:39 pm    

I use my fingerpicks just like John above - not sticking out at all, but really following the natural curve of the fingerpick - that way, you can play almost as if you were playing without fingerpicks - and if you geat a set of the great custom-coated fingerpicks made by forum memeber Andy Hinton http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=155067 they won't pinch your fingers at all!

As for thumbpicks, you might try Fred Kelly Slick Picks, which have a much smaller tip than those huge regular thumbpicks.

But of course ther's nothing wrong with playing with bare fingers (though I personally find it easier to play harmonics with fingerpicks - they simply make the overtones ring out better, and playing knuckle harmonics without a thumbpick is quite un-ergonomical, too...)

William Hoff

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2010 3:52 pm    

I'm not sure if they still make these or not, but I really like the Alaska(sp) picks. I use a plastic one on my middle finger and a brass one on my ring finger and a flat pick. I know it's a weird set up but it kinda works for me.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2010 5:14 pm    

Alaska pics rule!!!!