The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  David Langley and John Gudgel Performing In Nashville
Steve Raulston

U.S.A. (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2010 12:47 pm    

John Gudgel, a fine Steeler and close friend just took a giant leap and relocated to Nashville this past week seeking more serious musical endeavors. He just landed a gig for this weekend (March 5-6) playing with David Langley(guitarist extraordinaire) at the Nashville Palace in Nashville. Do yourself a favor and give a couple California boys a listen and some support. I guarantee you won't be disappointed. Langley has strong Buck influences and between the two of them, they will send at least one Palace patron to a chiropractor for a neck adjustment. You really don't want to miss it.

Last edited by Steve Raulston on 4 Mar 2010 12:09 am; edited 2 times in total

Steve Raulston

U.S.A. (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2010 11:41 pm    

TTT

Danny Bates

Fresno, CA. USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2010 1:12 am    

I've known David Langley a long time. He is not just a talented guy, he's also a real nice guy too.

David worked at Buck Owen's club in Bakersfield for years. Even though there was a huge age difference, they were close friends. I know David felt a great loss with Buck's passing. I wish him success wherever he goes.... and he deserves every bit of it.

If any of you guys go check him out, tell him I said Hi. Cool

Steve Raulston

U.S.A. (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2010 6:42 am    

Howdy Danny. Athough I met David through John when they were playing together at the Nashville West Club in Ceres, CA in 04, I really don't know him well, but what I DO know of him, I can tell the man is 100% stand up! David and John were playing in Ceres at the time Buck passed away and you are so right, it hit him hard. He paid homage to Buck many times in the weeks and months following his passing and I thought it showed true class by opening up and sharing those sentiments with his audiences.

Another point you made Danny is that he deserves success. I couldn't agree more. There isn't a Country guitarist that can out perform him. I know that sounds totally biased and very close minded, but I can guarantee that once one hears Langley, any skepticism would be laid to rest. And he isn't just an extraordinary Country guitarist, the cat can lay down some mean jazz, rock, and I heard him warming up one night running through his routine and I heard some great classical chops! Yes, he deserves success as much or more than anyone because he has paid his dues at least twice over!

Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2010 11:19 pm    

It was my honor to play steel with David in the 90s. We played the Bingo Palace in Lemoore, CA and also did a few other gigs with David after Paul Dobbs moved on. David is a picker's picker and really nice guy to have for a friend.

Robert Tripp

Mesa, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2010 10:42 pm    

Hi all, so glad I found this thread. I actually did a search for Johnny because I was just talking about him today with my half brother who is first cousins with Johnny.

He is a heck of a player, started when he was about 12 or so I think best I can remember. David is mind blowing on the guitar, and like mentioned before, a 100% stand up guy.

I helped on an album that David recorded for my cousin a couple of years ago, and he is very talented in the studio as well. Multi-instrumentalist and a great guy behind the console.

I still play with Paul Dobbs every once in awhile although not lately. Its humbling to get to play with people like Paul and David and Johnny. I only got to play with Johnny once when he was gracious enough to sit in on a last minute notice. Wasn't familiar with the material, and still did a great job.

Still haven't got a chance to meet Danny Bates either and we're only about 10 miles apart haha.

Best of luck to Johnny and David. I think I'll call Paul Dobbs next week and see if I can get him to buy me some bisquits and gravy.

Later.

http://www.reverbnation.com/roberttrippgospel

I might be a beginner now, but someday I'm gonna steel the show.