The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Any More Buddy Emmons Surprises?
Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2010 10:40 pm    

With E's gracious input, this is kinda like that biblical story about Moses getting the 10 commandments. Fortunately, we don't have to save this on a Flintstones rock, rather as a digital file. Kewl.

So, Buddy, how about the "Are You Sure" story from Tootsies? Or, hell, any other story that you might feel like sharing...
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville

Buddy Emmons

Hermitage, TN USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2010 7:54 am    

Well Cal, it goes something like this: Willie and I were sitting in a booth at a bar next door to Tootsies when a guy came up and said, "Mind if I sit down?" I assumed he was Willie's friend and Willie must have thought I knew him so we both told him to have a seat. I moved close to the wall to give him room, which obviously wasn't enough because he kept sliding over and bumping his hip into mine. After the second time I looked at him and asked, "Are you about where you want to be?" He told me he was and I said, "Are you sure?" By that time Willie realized he wasn't a friend of mine so we suggested he find a more comfortable seat elsewhere.

After the guy left, Willie said, "That's a good title, and I replied, "What?" He said, "Are you sure. That would be a good song title." After agreeing with him he added, "I'll write it and give you half." Of course I told him it wasn't necessary and he told me, "No, an idea is as good as a song."

I forgot about the incident until I was on a Ray Price session a few months later and Ray said he had a song coming up that Willie wrote called Are You Sure. I was blown away to say the least and Willie's name was the only name on the first record release, but that was cool with me. It just knocked me out to know he had gone ahead and written it. Later I started receiving BMI checks for the song and found that Willie had been true to his word. I recently saw a listing of the song on one of Ray's albums and I've been given credit for being co-writer of the song. That's just one example of so many things Willie has done for his musician friends.

I first met Willie when he was playing guitar in a band that went on before our show. I made friends with him and after the show he invited me to ride to the next date in his car. I didn't know he was a song writer but as we traveled down the road and he sang songs like Hello Walls and Darkness on the Face of the Earth, I sat there stunned. I had never heard songs quite like that and wondered why he wasn't in Nashville. It wasn't too long before he did come to Nashville and although he couldn't get things going for himself at the time, he certainly changed a lot of other people's lives. He's one in a million.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2010 8:47 am    

today is going to be a good day!

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2010 8:54 am    

Great to see your post Buddy.
BD
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2010 9:05 am    

Now that's a story. Wow. Goose bumps. Thanks so much for sharing,Buddy.

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2010 10:48 am    

Ernie, I am glad to see that Buddy is doing well. I hope he enjoys his retirement. He is truly a Giant to the steel guitar.
Tommy Shown

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2010 1:46 pm    

Any more 'BE' surprises? Well, this counts as one, doesn't it?

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=180766

(In case anyone's missed the other thread...)

Great story, Buddy!

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2010 2:03 pm    

'Buddy Emmons' is an 'American Icon' as great as 'Casius clay' and 'Elvis.
Thanks buddy!

Frank Harris

San Diego, California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2010 4:45 pm     Emmons

PLEASE BUMP FOR A GREAT PICTURE

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2010 4:50 pm    

Great story - I imagine the book will be full of them. Just set the recorder "on," Fish, & let him go!

Greg Wisecup

Troy, Ohio
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2010 7:55 am    

This also about sums it up! I took this at the CM Hall of Fame last month!

I also ran accross a thread yesterday about the forum buying Shot Jacksons' Sho Bro and donating it to the Hall of Fame. I can't find the thread but here's the pic.

/Nashville 400
RV-3/ Zoom MS-50G
As long as I'm down in the mix I'm Fantastic!

Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2010 6:26 pm    

I just found this thread and noticed that some folks provided links to their favorite videos and songs. I first met the Big E in 1981 at Jeff's school. He played for us one night and I sat DIRECTLY in front of him. Luckily, I had a cassette recorder under my chair. Over the years I've watched and listened to him play "Gonna build a mountain" and IMHO he played it best that night in October 1981. To me it just has that little extra of something going on. If it is acceptable I'd gladly upload it from the cassette for everyone to hear it. Incidentally, before Buddy and Phil Baugh began Jeff read a telegram from Guitar Player Magazine notifying Buddy that he'd just won the Best Steel Guitarist of the year award---again.

Marty Broussard

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2010 4:24 pm     Re: Any More Buddy Emmons Surprises?

Paul Sutherland wrote:
First I learned that BE switched to Equal Temperament tuning. Now I've learned that BE stopped using finger picks, at least for awhile.

Is there anything else?

Switched when?

bob

Don McClellan

California/Thailand
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2010 9:59 pm    

Marty,
It may or may not be acceptable for you to post that old cassette recording of Buddy playing at a seminar with Jeff Newman and I certainly have no say, what so ever, in the mater. So do it! Please, Don

Drew Howard

Post  Posted 14 Apr 2011 2:02 pm    

Bump for a SGF classic thread...

Dave Stankoski

Vermont
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2015 2:15 pm    

Just want to give a bump to this 5 year old thread. It has some great posts by Buddy...

Mike Wilkerson

Luther Oklahoma
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2015 5:35 pm    

I first met Buddy in 1990 at Scottys steel convention from my old friend RIP Jimmy Day. I was so nervous my hands were trembling I was shaking in my speech Jimmy is laughing Buddy said Mikey I am a person just like you there is no need to be nervous.Long story short Buddy ordered a drink and it wasn't what he ordered and without batting an eye the first and only time Jimmy didn't call me kid he looked at Buddy and said give it to Mikey He'll drink anything. Buddy touched my very soul and there after would be my second closest friend next to Jimmy. I feel Buddy has left us to explore our own talents hidden deep in our soul

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2015 6:15 pm    

wow mikey! i think you may be more correct than you even realize. that's a righteous way to look at it.

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2015 10:05 am    

He's probably up there teaching those harp-toting angels to play steel. Very Happy

Bill Moran

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2015 11:07 am    

Alan Brookes wrote:
He's probably up there teaching those harp-toting angels to play steel. Very Happy

Alan, Thinking about all the great pickers and singers that have gone before us. Do you think we have a chance to hear them again ? I'm counting on it ! Very Happy

Donna Sherrard Williams

Louisville, Ky.
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2015 12:37 pm    

Me too !!!!!

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2015 2:28 pm    

I'd like to think so. Very Happy

David Farrell

San Diego, California, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2023 12:38 pm    

God bless Buddy Emmons.

It's so cool for me to be able to read these stories & see these pictures in 2023!

I'm a student of the PSG for about 6 years now. I'm obsessed & love it.

I ordered a new Emmons S-10 & can't wait to receive/play it!

Fender pedal steels, amps & guitars. '73 Sho~Bud PRO 1 CUSTOM. Emmons ReSound'65 S-10 4x5.

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 23 May 2023 5:00 pm    

One of my favorite memories of Buddy Emmons was when I went to Murfreesboro, Tennessee because my twin brother Brandon had to get a new car. I'd found out that Buddy was playing the Midnite Jamboree at the Ernest Tubb Texas Trubador Theater with Johnny Bush, and I told my mom and dad I would like to see the show and possibly meet Buddy. So, we went to the theater and when we got there, we walked down to the stage to see Buddy's steel, "Black Bart", which was an Emmons D-10. As soon as we walked away from the stage, we heard, "Brett! Hey Brett"! The man who called my name was steel guitarist Dave Robbins, who played steel in Jean Sheppard's band. He was calling me because one section of the theater was roped off for steel players because Buddy was there. Opry singer Carol Lee was the emcee, and the steel players got derby hats like the ones Buddy wore in his career and when Carol acknowledged the other steel guitarists, I stood with them, Buddy smiled when we all stood. When the show ended, it was time to meet Buddy, so I waited, and when I walked up to Buddy, he said, "So, you're Brett, and I said, "Yes", then we talked about steel for a little bit. It was a great experience!

Last edited by Brett Day on 24 May 2023 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 23 May 2023 5:34 pm    

How cool is that Brett? So glad you were able to meet Buddy.

I used to see him at the ISGC but he was always surrounded by admirers and autograph seekers...hardly any space to approach him...I would like to have said hello to him and told him how much I admired and appreciated his work on the steel guitar but I was also a little overwhelmed, timid and in awe of his huge persona. I was able to pass on a gesture from nearby and get one back once.

Dave Robbins, yeah, no slouch there. I sorely miss Dave around here. I always looked forward to his comments and info about what was going on around the Opry and in Nashville.

Like too many other pros, I think he just became disgusted with the amateur comments etc. and just stopped looking in several years before his death. Too Bad. One of my heroes and one of the best.

I believe he passed away last year. RIP