The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Paul Franklin's Pedabro tuning
Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2010 7:59 am    

Paul, would you share your tuning and pedal setup. From the pics on your webpage it looks like you've got 8 or 9 pedals. Just wondering if some of those pedals you use for a 9th tuning sound/licks.The song For Ever and Ever Amen comes to mind having a 9th sound but is C6. Great stuff.

Thanks, Tony

Tony Dingus

Post  Posted 30 Jan 2010 7:30 pm    

^^^

Tony

Tony Dingus

Post  Posted 31 Jan 2010 9:01 pm    

bump.

Tony

Zach Keele

Murfreesboro, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2010 10:00 pm     D9

I believe it is the same as his E9, just tuned down one step to D9. Not 100% sure, but pretty sure.

Tony Dingus

Post  Posted 1 Feb 2010 4:39 am    

I think some of the players who have a pedabro use D9 and I thought that was the tuning Paul used on Randy Travis's Forever and Ever Amen but Paul said it was C6. I think he's got some pedals to get some 9th licks and that's what I'm hoping he'll share.

Tony

Franklin

Post  Posted 1 Feb 2010 5:19 am    

Tony,

The first three pedals on the C6th pedabro

1) raises G to A

2) Raises both E's to F

3) raises G and C a whole tone

There is a lever that raises both C's to C#

The rest is my C6th set up

These additional changes gave me a universal C6th tuning...It has the basic E9th stuff plus all of the C6th

Paul

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2010 8:46 am    

Franklin wrote:
Tony,

The first three pedals on the C6th pedabro

1) raises G to A

2) Raises both E's to F

3) raises G and C a whole tone

There is a lever that raises both C's to C#

The rest is my C6th set up

These additional changes gave me a universal C6th tuning...It has the basic E9th stuff plus all of the C6th

Paul

That looks more like a Sneaky Pete tuning than a Universal tuning.

Franklin

Post  Posted 1 Feb 2010 10:26 am    

To me, Universal is the term used for describing any tuning that combines the possibilities of both tunings..... Don,t know anything about what Pete used,
Are you saying Sneaky used the rest of my setup?
Paul

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2010 10:51 am    

Franklin wrote:
Don,t know anything about what Pete used,
Are you saying Sneaky used the rest of my setup?
Paul

No, Pete's B6 was like your Pedabro in that the country "AB pedals" that he usually used would pull his open B chord to open E chord. It also gave him unison G# strings where you have unison A with your pedals down.
The sound is quite different from a normal E9 because the strings for the half-tone raise and whole tone raise are much thicker than they are on E9.

A typical "Universal" approach to C6 would treat the C6 as an F9 tuning, or B6=E9, so the A and B pedal pulls are just like on the E9 that we are used to.

Tony Dingus

Post  Posted 1 Feb 2010 1:03 pm    

Thanks Paul, I appreciate it. The O' light bulb has come on.

Tony

Franklin

Post  Posted 2 Feb 2010 6:47 am    

Ernest,

You used the word "typical" to describe the universal concept....The first universal tunings did not use todays "typical" copedant or tonal center.....Julian, Reece, Zane Beck, Billy Brady, Morrell, were among the first to pioneer the concept of having one neck serve the purpose of two. This was back in the early 60's. Their tunings, mostly Bb6th based, became known as "Universal" tunings. Their tunings evolved into a universal direction long before Jeff Newman created his B centered universal tuning. Jeff was playing a D10 in the early 60's. Jeff created his option coming at it from the E9th approach. The Texas crowd was coming at it from the 6th direction. Two different mindsets.

I personally believe they were headed in the right direction musically than coming at it from the E9th side......After teaching for years, its clear to me, as it obviously was for Jeff, that most folks take to the E9th faster than the C6th. A Country music was the primary source for hearing a steel guitar and because Country radio featured primarily E9th licks and melodic sounds, creating an easy to understand E9th universal was the best way to popularize this universal concept. I certainly see how Jeff's direction solved the issues for most players wanting to simplify their study into one single tuning.

My C6th universal copedant does have the A B and C pedal configuration just as I use it on the E9th neck, along with the roots raised and lowered a half tone. These interval movements are the basic movements that define the bulk of what I generally use on sessions.....With my copedant I have unison A's , D's and E's.....If I were serious about dropping the D10 and changing to the universal direction, I would add two more strings to this C6th based universal tuning to complete its possibilities....

If you look carefully at the tuning I do not have to hold any levers down to play either side of the tuning.....I believe the "universal" concept will never become the mainstream direction until that hurdle is eliminated......This tuning would solve that problem for me.

The 12 string version of this tuning from top to bottom is D, B, (G,) E, C, A, G, E, C, A, F, C....The G string is actually not needed but I would prefer having it for both Jazz and Country voicings.

I would raise and lower all of the intervals needed to copy the bulk of the E9th stuff leaving the C6th side completely intact. I still believe the D10 offers me the most musicality....The Pedabro had to be a one neck tuning so after checking out the accepted B universal tuning I decided this would work better for my needs.....Paul

Last edited by Franklin on 2 Feb 2010 5:02 pm; edited 4 times in total

Bobby Burns

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2010 8:09 am    

I almost skipped reading this thread, since I don't own or have that much interest in hauling around a pedalbro. I'm glad I read it now. This tuning is a great idea, even for a standard steel. I'll just have to try it out someday. Thanks Paul.

Tor Arve Baroy

Norway
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2010 11:23 am    

I must say that this is great!
In the "steel guitar-community" both pro and amatours can talk to each other with respect.
(not calling anyone in this tread amatours Smile , except me Winking )
But this is rarely the case with other instruments, I dont think Slash and Neil Young would be members of a online guitar-forum.
Neither Lars Ulrich and Steve Gadd joining a drum-forum online.. Smile

But here, Paul Franklin (who needs no further introduction) often replies to other forum members from all around the world!

That is COOL Very Happy