The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pete Haywood - I have the CD!
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2010 5:25 pm    

My copy arrived today.

I'll usually pop a new CD into the player and multi-task while skipping tracks after a few measures; maybe I'll eventually play one in its entirety if I'm driving, but not always.

This is the very first steel guitar album that, once I heard the opening measures, I just sat back and listened to every single note he plays.

This man is an extraordinary musician! Had I seen the list of titles with no knowledge of the quality of his playing, I might well have passed it over, but Pete Haywood grabbed my attention from the very start and didn't let go.

I think every steel-player - however fine a player they are now - should hear this man's work. His touch, technique and tone are as good as anyone I've ever heard, and better than 99% of them. His intonation is masterful and, most importantly, he communicates actual music to his listener. You could be hearing a beguiling vocalist interpreting the songs instead of 'only' an instrumentalist.

I've always known about Pete Haywood (being from the UK myself - he's a kind of open secret there), and I'd heard so much positive opinion of him I was starting to think: 'NO-one's that good, surely?'

Well, he is. After I'd played the CD I went straight to my guitar to play, concentrating suddenly on areas that I've been guilty of glossing over in private practice. This work is proof of just how beautiful and unique the 'voice' of a pedal steel guitar can be. It will prove to be an inspiration to me....

Thanks to Dave Seddon for his part in the project, and to Bent Romnes for getting the disc to me in such a timely manner.

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2010 10:22 pm    

...and thanks to you for the nice feedback. I'm glad you got it.
Folks, I have one CD left. $20 including shipping.
Shoot me an email. First come, first served.
Bent

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2010 11:00 am    

Nice one Roger. Just think - if Dave Seddon hadn't made the CD available to the masses, Pete's work would just have been known to the few of us who know just what a great player he is.

Kudos to Bent for his part in this too.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,