The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dead Peavey stuff
Scott Howard

Georgetown, TN, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2010 5:43 pm    

I have several dead Peavey products and need to know what to ask for them.

TransTube Fex Quit tonight . I had a batterless mod done a couple of years ago.

Nashville 400 I have one that I think there is a problem with the reverb because the slightest bumb and it goes crazy like thunder for a while. It usualy clears up , but I just quit using it.I have thought of swapping the reverb from the other amp .

I have another Nashville 400 that has noise in it and I am guessing a good cleaning is needed. I am still using it.

I am pretty much done and can't see me spending the money to fix them. I don't want to give them away but don't want to hold anybody up either. I hope what I am asking makes sense .

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2010 6:34 pm    

Don't know about your Trans Tube Fex, but the 400 problem sounds like a microphonic reverb pan. It wouldn't be a big deal for someone like me because I usually keep an assortment of spare pans around, but to be fair, I'd knock off maybe 50.00 from the going price. The other 400, I'd wash out the pots and the jacks with Radio Shack tuner cleaner, loosen and retighten the jacks. Just my opinions.

Marvin Born

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2010 8:23 pm    

Regarding the transtubefex, you didn't describe the problem; however, I had a problem of mine going into and out of mute, usually at a bad time.

I finally fixed mine by doing a full reset back to factory settings. I suggest you try this. However, back up your settings on the card, as a reset clears everything stored in the A bank.

Marvin

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2010 3:03 am    

Just sounds like some "minor" maintenance needs to be done to the Nashville 400's. One of the problem areas is the Molex connector for the Reverb to the chassis. Just unplugging and plugging back in cures a lot of noise and reverb problems.

The TTFex is another story. A factory reset, as mentioned, is probably the first step, if it powers on.

Scott Howard

Georgetown, TN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2010 3:58 am    

The TTF powers up but it is like there is nothing coming out of it at all. I moved the input to the back and it came in and then back out a couple of times. I just moved over to my tubefex and practised a little while.

I had both because I was leaving one at Church and with my back I can't carry stuff back and forth. I am pretty much a home player now and I will try some simple stuff but as for spending money on repairs and shipping I just can't justify it right now.

Thanks for the tips . I will check a few things and try and decide what I am going to do.

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2010 8:58 am     Peavey repairs

Those repairs really would not cost much to resolve. The reverb pan for the 400 would run around $50.00. I agree with the recommendations from the other Forumites. If you wish to send the Transtube Fex to to me at Peavey, we'll give you a free estimate. I hope that it is not related to any battery leakage, but maybe not since the mod has been done. That's questionable.

Our address is;
Peavey Service Center
Attn; Mike Brown
412 Hwy. 80 East
Meridian, MS 39301

Please include a copy of this posting with each product should you decide to send them to Peavey.

Mike Brown
Peavey USA

Scott Howard

Georgetown, TN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2010 10:04 am    

Mike

The TTF was working fine a few days ago and it was working this morning for a few minutes and then it started distorting and faded out.

Does Peavey leave it with the batteryless mod or are they going to want to put a battery back in it. It does seem like there might have been some clean up from the battery on it when the mod was done. But I can't remember if it was this one or my Tubefex.

I like this unit but money is tight and work is down. Is there a standard fee plus parts ? Any kind of ball park figure before I send it ?

I have 3 Nashville 400's so I am probably going to change the reverb pan around in 2 of them and go from there. I can do that and not spend any money.

This may be a stupid question but does anybody just eliminate the reverb and use the reverb in the Transtube ? Thanks for the help .

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2010 12:16 pm    

I don't use the internal reverb in my Peavey Amps (or any other amps). I use the reverb in my POD XT (which I use for effects only).

I used to have a Transtube Fex, in a rack, and that is what I used for the preamp and the effects. That is what the TT Fex is - a Preamp and an effects processor.

Scott Howard

Georgetown, TN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2010 12:36 pm    

Can it just be unplugged ?

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2010 3:28 pm    

Peavey will not remove the battery-less mod. It makes Jimmy M. happy to see one come in with the mod in it!

You can also just unplug the Molex connector at the map to disable reverb. Keep the reverb control off at all times to avoid noise from the unloaded reverb return circuit.

Most reverb fixes are just a matter of cleaning and tightening connections. Rarely I get a broken coil wire on the tank. Even the old Fender amps were prone to trouble with the RCA jacks at the amp and at the tank. Typically oxidation needs cleaning and a slight re-tension of those RCA connectors and they were as good as new.

I see a lot more amps with the reverb wires soldered directly tot he circuit boards lately. I can see that, given the amount of reverb issues. With the N-400 it would make circuit board removal a bit more difficult. To be done properly the wires really should be replaced with a higher quality RCA cable and the soldered connections covered with a good heat shrink for protection and mechanical reliability

Scott Howard

Georgetown, TN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2010 1:32 pm    

Thanks Ken. I will give it a try and see what happens.

Scott Howard

Georgetown, TN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2010 4:08 pm    

I unplugged the reverb and the problem is gone on one amp . With my TubeFex it still sounds good enough for the bedroom.

I am going to try and clean the other amp with some cleaner I got from Radio Shack . What is the best way to do it. I am planning on laying the amp on its back first and spraying the controls. Can it be done better if the chassis is removed. I have removed them before and have a 2 piece setup on one of the 400's .

I have the TransTubeFex packed up and I guess I will get a estimate from Peavey and go from there on it.

Thanks , Scott

Scott Howard

Georgetown, TN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2010 5:59 pm    

Anybody know about how long it takes to hear from Peavey on a estimate ? And about what is the turnaround on repairs ?

Bill Moran

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2010 6:25 pm    

Peavey will be a lot quicker than your local repair shop !! Smile

Freddie Wooton

London, ky
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2010 10:39 pm     Peavey amps

Scott, If this helps, I shipped a NV400 to Peavey on a Friday and was playing it on the job that coming thursday. The cost was $17.00+shipping. Now you can't beat that. F. Wooton

Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2010 5:56 am    

Scott Howard wrote:
Anybody know about how long it takes to hear from Peavey on a estimate ? And about what is the turnaround on repairs ?

I sent my NV 1000 to them (just the amp and reverb pan, without the cab and speaker weighs about 15 lbs and cost me $10), and spoke with Mike Brown on the phone for a bit. I had it back in not much more than a week, and it works like new. Its all Im using live these days, now that the effects loop and XLR line out work again. The estimate took only a few days after they received it. It cost me about $120 and was well worth it!

Clete

Mike Brown

Post  Posted 5 Feb 2010 7:22 am     Peavey Repairs

Our factory service department receives products in need of repair on a daily basis. Therefore, we work on a "first come, first serve" basis.

Clyde Mattocks

Post  Posted 5 Feb 2010 7:47 am    

I have a Session 400 at the factory now. They received it last Monday 2/1. I'll post the turn around time. I've used them many times and have always been very happy with their service.

Mike Brown

Post  Posted 5 Feb 2010 11:30 am     Turnaround Time

Our turnaround time varies from season to season, ie; when we return from our winter and summer vacations we are behind approximately a week by default. So, that that into consideration please(hint; we recently returned from our winter vacation).

We pride ourselves as being the largest sound reinforcement company and still have a repair department with techs that have been with us for thirty plus years. You can even speak with us by phone too!

Clyde Mattocks

Post  Posted 5 Feb 2010 11:49 am    

Mike is right about that. I have had a tech named Gene call me on a Saturday morning and say "I came in today and fixed your amp." I had another one tell me, "I put oversize filter caps in your amp, I know what you steel players want!" For a huge international outfit, they still have a personal touch. Its even hard to find outfits in my home town that have that attitude.

Mike Brown

Post  Posted 8 Feb 2010 12:28 pm     Turnaround time.................

That additional week is in addition to the time that we are behind at that time though....................

Scott Howard

Georgetown, TN, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2010 1:50 pm    

Thanks Mike .
I am not in a hurry for it back. I was just curious about what kind of time frame to expect. I have never sent anything for repairs until now.

In this day and time , I guess it is good to be backed up a little. It's got to be better than being laid off because of no work.

Scott Howard

Georgetown, TN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2010 5:20 am    

I want to thank all those who replied and most of all , Peavey for the work . Very reasonable and would recomend them to anyone needing repair.

I have had the unit back for a while but been down in my back and not posted.

The amp in question was the reverb and after unplugging it and turning the reverb to zero it has given no more problems.

I am downsizing and going to be selling the amp. Any ideas on what to ask for it as is. It might be a better buy for someone as the a lot of the preamps have reverb in them and it is not a big deal. About what are the Nashville 400's going for in good shape and how much needing the pan. Also it may only the connector needs cleaning. But I would rather take less and let the buyer know it may need the pan.

Clyde Mattocks

Post  Posted 9 Mar 2010 10:03 am    

I posted above that I would inform on the turnaround time of a Session 400 that was at the factory. They received it on 2/1 and the lady called this morning to say it was being shipped. That is 27 working days.
The charge was $61 plus shipping which I consider to be amazingly reasonable and the turnaround time good for such a large company.

Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2010 3:17 pm    

I sent my Delta Blues in on the 24th of FEB and was told to expext about a month for repair.Havn't heard anything yet.No problem,I ain't bleedin' and the house ain't on fire.So I'll just wait my turn.